Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Red Sox Manager---Ever?

All-Star

Best Red Sox Manager---Ever?

Yes. At least in my memory. And I go back to Joe Cronin

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Yes. At least in my memory. And I go back to Joe Cronin
    Before we start annointing anyone the "best" after less than 20 games, we should remember Joe Morgan started out 19-1 in 1988; Sox went 27-30 the rest of the way and got swept by the A's in the ALCS. The teams Joe managed were not nearly as talented as the current iteration, but Joe got a lot out of them (2 division titles) and uttered those immortal words "Your team is not as good as you think it is" to the upper management when they let him go. The disasters that followed under Hobson proved him correct.

With 2 titles, Francona is still the standard and there's a gap to second.
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 04-19-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Before we start annointing anyone the "best" after less than 20 games, we should remember Joe Morgan started out 19-1 in 1988; Sox went 27-30 the rest of the way and got swept by the A's in the ALCS. The teams Joe managed were not nearly as talented as the current iteration, but Joe got a lot out of them (2 division titles) and uttered those immortal words "Your team is not as good as you think it is" to the upper management when they let him go. The disasters that followed under Hobson proved him correct.

With 2 titles, Francona is still the standard and there's a gap to second.
    Who is second?

Dick Williams?

Hugh Duffy?

Joe Cronin?

Alex Cora?

A related question: does anyone remember the Yankees playing this sloppy under Joe Girardi?

The Yankees sloppiness is quite noticeable.

Why get rid of Joe Girardi? He won a W.S., and did pretty well with a team that was going through some kind of rebuilding period. He was one win away form the W.S. last year. And then Cashman replaces him with a guy who never even served as a bench coach. Brilliant.

this is easy.
    Francona is the greatest Red Sox manager of all time.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Who is second?

Dick Williams?

Hugh Duffy?

Joe Cronin?

Alex Cora?
    Here's how I ranked them last year:

"1. Terry Francona (no question)
    2. Joe Morgan (2 divisions with not a lot of talent, who can forget "these guys aren't as good as they think they are" after he was let go)
    3. Jimy Williams (went back and forth between him and JF, in the end, the 2 last place finishes knocked Farrell down)
    4. John Farrell (1 title is a big plus)
    5. John McNamara (2 mediocre seasons sandwiched around what should have been the year)
    6. Darrell Johnson (1 pennant and lost to the Big Red Machine, but he never should have pinch hit for Willoughby in Game 7)
    7. Kevin Kennedy (1 unexpected division title)
    8. Don Zimmer (would have been higher had the wild card existed, who knows what could have happened)
    9. Grady Little (blew the 2003 pennant)
    10. Ralph Houk (defined mediocrity)
    11. Butch Hobson (ranks above the other 2 only because of the talent he had, see Joe Morgans comment above)
    12. Bobby Valentine (disaster with a very good team on paper)
    13. Joe Kerrigan (the fact that he only lasted about 40 games says a lot)

I limited my list to guys I actually could judge (I remember Dick Williams and Eddie Kasko, but I really have no basis on which to judge them, Williams caught lightning in a bottle in 67 but did little else, Kasko = Ralph Houk as near as I can tell). Guys like Pesky and Eddie Popowski, who managed but a handful of games, don't count."

Link to the thread where it was discussed: www.talksox.com/forum/threads/18485-Sox-Managers
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

The one thing in Dick Williams' favor was that he took a low expectation team to within one game of a ring.

He also never had a record worse than 86-76.

Legend
    72-90 the year before in 66. Back Then NO FA's, to help the Managers, BIG TIME!
    Baseball, should be like Football, between eras.
    Football Salary Cap ERA
    Baseball- FA ERA.
    I've seen teams buy a Championship. Manager means very little, if you buy the talent.
    Williams Era was all Prospects, and Smart Trades. Where the Manager, really had to blend the team.
    Take out Manny Ramirez, and replace him with Jose Tartabull, and see how good Francona is then.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 04-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Legend
    Injuries and Bad Luck had a lot to do with not winning before Francona.
    Losing Tony C in 67
    Rice in 75.
    Was huge.

Joe Morgan didn’t have a lot of talent, just multiple HOFers and a few guys who should already be in (Evans and Clemens).
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Well, I've seen three managers in my lifetime. Cora is definitely in the top 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    this is easy.
    Francona is the greatest Red Sox manager of all time.
    You Sir, are correct.

Honorable mention to Joe Morgan.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well, I've seen three managers in my lifetime. Cora is definitely in the top 3.
    Lol.

I see UCONN has enhanced your critical thinking ability!

J/K.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Lol.

I see UCONN has enhanced your critical thinking ability!

J/K.
    Well, I'm not wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    72-90 the year before in 66. Back Then NO FA's, to help the Managers, BIG TIME!
    Baseball, should be like Football, between eras.
    Football Salary Cap ERA
    Baseball- FA ERA.
    I've seen teams buy a Championship. Manager means very little, if you buy the talent.
    Williams Era was all Prospects, and Smart Trades. Where the Manager, really had to blend the team.
    Take out Manny Ramirez, and replace him with Jose Tartabull, and see how good Francona is then.
    IMO Francona's success with Cleveland has validated that he's very good.