Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 4/21 Sox at Oakland

First thought this morning: If this is what it’s gonna take to beat us, I say have at it.

Good on Manaea! We clobbered him last year to the point that I actually felt a bit bad about it. Cold revenge. This is simply just good for baseball.

I’d be remiss if I couldn’t nitpick just a little. That Beni play was kinda bullshit for a few reasons. 1) A hitter running to 1B CAN use the grass area (It’s actualy preferred in order to prevent collisions) and doesn’t have to stay within that 1B baseline. Yes I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I’m not making this up. I remember a play a few years ago when one of our guys got called OUT for NOT using the grass area running to 1B. 2) Even if one disregards all that, Beni was within the 3 feet allowed to do what he did. This definitely could’ve changed the No-hitter, but I’m pretty sure we still would’ve lost, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    First thought this morning: If this is what it’s gonna take to beat us, I say have at it.

Good on Manaea! We clobbered him last year to the point that I actually felt a bit bad about it. Cold revenge. This is simply just good for baseball.

I’d be remiss if I couldn’t nitpick just a little. That Beni play was kinda bullshit for a few reasons. 1) A hitter running to 1B CAN use the grass area (It’s actualy preferred in order to prevent collisions) and doesn’t have to stay within that 1B baseline. Yes I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I’m not making this up. I remember a play a few years ago when one of our guys got called OUT for NOT using the grass area running to 1B. 2) Even if one disregards all that, Beni was within the 3 feet allowed to do what he did. This definitely could’ve changed the No-hitter, but I’m pretty sure we still would’ve lost, so.
    The error call on Leon's popup was also dicey. All the more reason I find no-hitters can be wonky affairs.

What can't be argued is that the guy pitched a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    How can anyone want to a no no. That's fucking terrible. I hope someone lays a surprise bunt somewhere.
    Technically, we could have had two hits, though neither one of those balls was scorched.

I don't like being no hit anymore than anyone else (Actually, it was more losing the game that I don't like), but I am glad that none of the Sox hitters tried to lay down a bunt late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxRally View Post
    For those who haven't been humbled yet, getting no hit will humble your ass in a hurry.
    Yup. Just in case any of the Sox players were getting a little too full of themselves, and I am not saying that they were, this was a good reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Technically, we could have had two hits, though neither one of those balls was scorched.

I don't like being no hit anymore than anyone else (Actually, it was more losing the game that I don't like), but I am glad that none of the Sox hitters tried to lay down a bunt late in the game.
    I love this team. Even our losses are awesome.

Haha. Well put!

Deity
    Agree with Kimmi--and you. Nice.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The error call on Leon's popup was also dicey. All the more reason I find no-hitters can be wonky affairs.

Agree. Unarguable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Agree. Unarguable.
    BTW Max, great game thread mojo!

Time for somebody else not named Kimmi to step in.

I thought it was dicey too but I also understand why it was called an error. The ball was actually in Semien's glove and popped out at the last second where he bobbled it a few more times before the ball finally hit the ground. I also agree with Emp9 and he is correct on the rule of being able to use the grass to avoid the tag by the fielder.
    Jesus Christ, that is just Babytown Frolics.....seriously it's really bad though- Sterling Archer

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    BTW Max, great game thread mojo!

Time for somebody else not named Kimmi to step in.
    Meh. Someone quoted a manager who said a team is only as good as its next starter. Well, right now it's kind of cool to know that Price is up tonight and Porcello leads off in Toronto.

We got beat fair and square last night by a guy who was already having a terrific season but was even better last night. But today I'm already looking forward to the game. We got a good team, way, way, way better--so far, anyway--than I ever expected. Last night it was kind of neat to see a lot of comments giving credit to Menaea who deserved them. Our guys have gotten what seems like a zillion big hits already this year, so a no-no doesn't really bother me that much.

I'm anxious to see how the Red Sox respond after last night. Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to today's game.
    Jesus Christ, that is just Babytown Frolics.....seriously it's really bad though- Sterling Archer

How is it 'Manaea of all people' LOL He's young and he'd been putting up great numbers coming into this game.
    Because: troll. Duh.
    other names i have posted under: none