Register now to remove this ad

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: 4/25 Red Sox at Jays

My all time faves:

1) Tommy Harper (His trade to the Sox was the reason I switched from being a Brewers fan to Sox fan at age 13.)
    2) Luis Tiant (El Tiante was el fuego!)
    3T) Rick Burleson (The original dirt dog.)
    3T) Fred Lynn (Pure grace and skill)
    3T) Pedro Martinez (The best pitcher ever- in a 4-5 year span)
    6) Bill Lee (Told it like it was.)
    7) Papi (I can't believe I have him down this low!)
    8) Manny (Enjoyed watching this guy hitting more than anyone else- best approach evah!)
    9) Ellis Burks (Maybe the most under appreciated Sox player in my time as a fan-- Reggie Smith?)
    10T) Jason Varitek (Master of all things not quantifiable- dare I say, "the human side".)
    10T) Luis Aparicio (Maybe the best full time defensive SS the Sox have ever had.)

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    So the umpire was standing in the way. Man.. if it's not something it's something else.
    Beni did the smart thing there really. Nothing he could do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Beni did the smart thing there really. Nothing he could do about it.
    Here's my issue with it in retrospect, which always gives a better perspective than 'real time'. :-)

I can understand that the umpire was in Beni's line of sight, but that's when he should have asked the 3B coach for help. The coach being able to go up and down the baseline as far as he wants could have seen the catch being made and told Beni when to go.

IMO not retaining Butterfield was a mistake. I have no "evidence" that Butterfield would have done it any better but he certainly couldn't have done it any worse!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Are we doing all-time favorite Sox players? Is there an old thread we can dig up for that?
    There are a few:

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...-current-team)

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...__-quot-thread

I went back to about Jan 2011 and there are some wild, wild threads. PTSD tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Here's my issue with it in retrospect, which always gives a better perspective than 'real time'. :-)

I can understand that the umpire was in Beni's line of sight, but that's when he should have asked the 3B coach for help. The coach being able to go up and down the baseline as far as he wants could have seen the catch being made and told Beni when to go.

IMO not retaining Butterfield was a mistake. I have no "evidence" that Butterfield would have done it any better but he certainly couldn't have done it any worse!
    Was there enough time to ask Butterfield?

Deity

We know that Butterfield did a lot of other things that really helped these young guys too.

I’d have to watch it again, probably a few times more even. Was it Febles’ fault? Probably. Beni has to tag up, Febles should be able to move around to get a better view. Could be the 2B Ump moved & got in the way of view at the worst time possible. That particular Communication is something I hope they get right going forward. Lesson hopefuly learned and it didn’t cost us a win. Those are the best lessons learned imo.

Oil Can
    Manny
    Pedro
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    There are a few:

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...-current-team)

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...__-quot-thread

I went back to about Jan 2011 and there are some wild, wild threads. PTSD tho.
    Are you the new TalkSox historian?
    We miss you Mike.

Was there enough time to ask Butterfield?
    As I've said in the past, Butterfield and I have some friends in common and the story I got from one of these people is that once Farrell got fired the coaches were all told that there were no promises made regarding keeping the current coaching staff so if they got an offer from another team they may want to consider it. Over the next couple of months Butterfield got offers from four teams (Arizona, Florida, one I can't remember, and when the Cubs made an offer he accepted it.

I don't know what the timeline was regarding his signing with the Cubs as it pertains to signing Feebles but if Cora had been pro-active and wanted Butterfield it probably could have happened.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Are you the new TalkSox historian?
    Someone has to be.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Why isn't that in your sig?
    We miss you Mike.