Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Lineup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And I hate Brett Gardner. LOL!!
    Did Gardner and hembree go to the same school?

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And I hate Brett Gardner. LOL!!
    As do I.

It's obvious that Gardner has become the new "Face of the Yankees" since Jeter retired. It's now Gardner rather than Jeter who carries that smug look of "I'm a Yankee and that makes me better than anyone else, and don't you forget it" and the look of wonderment on those rare occasions when things don't go the Yankees way.

Gardner is the consummate Yankee, and that's not a compliment.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Don't beat me up over this too much but I would like to still see Mookie batting in a position where he might knock in a few more runs as in third. Have to admit though that I would probably bat him where he wants to bat but if the bottom of the order continues to look pathetic, I'm pulling the old school traditionalist card. Lets go JBJ - give Betts a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Don't beat me up over this too much but I would like to still see Mookie batting in a position where he might knock in a few more runs as in third. Have to admit though that I would probably bat him where he wants to bat but if the bottom of the order continues to look pathetic, I'm pulling the old school traditionalist card. Lets go JBJ - give Betts a chance.
    I understand this point of view. Personally I like Mookie up first because I want him to get more chances than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Tinkering with the batting order is a popular pastime. Benintendi is a kid with a high ceiling. Mookie Betts is now challenging Mike Trout for the title of " Best in the game." Things are going very well. Let's not tinker too much.
    Yeah, I'm totally with you on this one dgale. I am perfectly comfortable with letting Alex Cora figure out the daily lineup card. I just assume he knows what he's doing and there are plenty of other things to quibble about LOL

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    The Sox have three guys who work the pitcher, get on base and have the speed to be a threat to steal. Those three are Betts, Beni and Bogaerts. How you apportion those guys assuming you want the power in the three and four slots is the question and there are no wrong answers in my opinion. What Cora like is Betts, Beni, power, Bogaerts and so on. It has worked with the exception that the bottom of the lineup has been a black hole and Betts isn't getting a lot of chances to drive in runs. When Pedey gets he will probably be batting down in the lineup, at least for a while. Assuming Devers is going to be a hitting threat, that leaves the catcher and Bradley, when he plays.

One alternate lineup would be to put Beni ist, Bogaerts 2nd and Betts third with JDM following and move Hanley down to Bogaerts current spot. I do think Hanley moving down makes some sense, even if the table setters move down. Bogaerts at 3rd in the lineup is a good idea.

Once Pedey comes back ...

Mookie
    Beni
    Hanley
    JDM
    Bogie
    Pedey
    Mooreland
    Devers
    Vaz

Pedey
    Devers
    Vaz
    JBJ

I would prefer Mooreland in & JBJ out as often as possible right now. In fact, JBJ desperately needs a long rest.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I understand this point of view. Personally I like Mookie up first because I want him to get more chances than anyone else.
    I understand and thanks for responding. Leading off with your best hitter has been something that has been tried since the early 90's off and on. The rationale makes perfect sense. Get that guy the most at bats that you can. There are no better options to have hitting in front of Betts, i get that. But there are some pretty decent options that could be used 1 and 2. It certainly is no big deal and the current lineup construction has worked. if the back of the order starts to hit, it becomes a moot point in my mind. On the other hand, if they don't hit, i would love to see Betts have a chance to knock in a few more runs.

My preferred lineup:

1. Bogaerts
    2. Betts
    3. JDM
    4. Ramirez
    5. Moreland
    6. Devers
    7. Pedroia when he comes back, Holt for now
    8. Swihart
    9. Benitendi

With 7-8-9, the bottom of the order is vastly improved and can table set the top of the order as the game goes on. And I really really really want Swihart to get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    True. By the same token, Hanley's 355 OBP is exactly 2 points lower than Bogey's. And as I said Benintendi's OBP was 358 as recently as May 1. Small samples, really. But I'm sure that if Beni continues to struggle he'll get moved.
    yes but he has dreads so surely he looks "lost" at the plate and takes too many pitches down the middle. if he would just cut his hair and get a proper fitting batting helmet surely he would no longer be "lost"....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Gardy’s .340 OBP is third highest on the team behind our #2 and #3 hitters
    Yankees are the best!
    even NYY shitty hitters are better than your best hitters!
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Yankees are the best!
    That is what the chart said.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Yankees are the best!
    I agree. Even your shitty hitters are shitty hitters.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Once Pedey comes back ...

Mookie
    Beni
    Hanley
    JDM
    Bogie
    Pedey
    Mooreland
    Devers
    Vaz

Pedey
    Devers
    Vaz
    JBJ

I would prefer Mooreland in & JBJ out as often as possible right now. In fact, JBJ desperately needs a long rest.
    Any of our guys can go into slumps at times. Some of them seem to be in permanent slumps. Right now Bogie has cooled off, but he is too good a hitter to have it last. I like your basic lineup but might switch JDM into third and possibly move Hanley to 5th. Not a big change and it seems to be working fairly well. If it aint broke don't fix it? Vaz was hitting fairly well for a time last year but seems to have lost his way at the plate. JBJ is back mired in his all to typical slump. He gets extra chances based on his defense and his rare but impressive hot streaks. I'll keep my eye on Pedey. Hope he tears up the minors during his assignment.