Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    What about Xander? Sale? Kimbrel?
    Xander shouldn’t be too bad. Sale and Kimbrel are “kids”?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

My bad, guys you’ll need to re-sign. Elvis Andrus got $15 mil AAV a few years ago when he wasn’t even a FA. Xander might not light the world aflame, but he’s a 25 yr old shortstop who’s a 3-5 WAR player every year. He’s gonna see offers around $20-$25 mil a season, easy

My bad, guys you’ll need to re-sign. Elvis Andrus got $15 mil AAV a few years ago when he wasn’t even a FA. Xander might not light the world aflame, but he’s a 25 yr old shortstop who’s a 3-5 WAR player every year. He’s gonna see offers around $20-$25 mil a season, easy
    If I had to make a decision on Boggy right now I would not pay him 20-25 mil on a multi-year deal. That is obcene.

I'm generally satisfied with what I have seen him do. And I remember the schlock that was throw out there after Nomar.

But this guy seems to have a pattern of spectacular beginnings of seasons and then tapers off. I could be wrong.

Lets see him put up back to back healthy and productive seasons. If he rakes, then pay him. I guess.

I don't buy into this value scale people have for WAR. No way a player of that quality and performance is worth 20 mil.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Outfielder Trevor larnach of Oregon state is a guy that desperate Dave might consider in the first round.

Hits well to the opposite field, draws walks and projects to have decent power.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    If I had to make a decision on Boggy right now I would not pay him 20-25 mil on a multi-year deal. That is obcene.

I'm generally satisfied with what I have seen him do. And I remember the schlock that was throw out there after Nomar.

But this guy seems to have a pattern of spectacular beginnings of seasons and then tapers off. I could be wrong.

Lets see him put up back to back healthy and productive seasons. If he rakes, then pay him. I guess.

I don't buy into this value scale people have for WAR. No way a player of that quality and performance is worth 20 mil.
    Supply and demand. His WAR is high because of the position he plays. If you moved him to LF, he wouldn’t have a high WAR at all. Goes to show you how rare it is to have an asset offensively at the position. If you move on from him, you’re going to see a humongous drop off in production

Bogaerts is going to get paid in FA. If his injury really damped his numbers last year and he is the guy he is this year next....He's easily going to get 25 million a year. If you could extend him now at 20 per annum, then I'd jump all over that. If not, trade him for prospects and sign Machado.....but I'm crazy.

All-Star
    http://news.soxprospects.com/2018/05...ftpreview.html

Nice preview from SoxProspects with blurbs on a few potential Red Sox targets.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Bogaerts is going to get paid in FA. If his injury really damped his numbers last year and he is the guy he is this year next....He's easily going to get 25 million a year. If you could extend him now at 20 per annum, then I'd jump all over that. If not, trade him for prospects and sign Machado.....but I'm crazy.
    If Xander stayed in the mid .800 OPS range, he will be breaking the damn bank. If he reaches his potential, especially in his walk year, then he could own the bank. As is, if he remains a .280/20/80 hitter with reasonable defense, he will be paid handsomely, especially since he will be so young as an FA. Xander is 25 and his first full year of his new contract will be played at age 27. He could reasonably sign an 8 year deal and be in his prime for all but the final year or so of it.
    Hal sucks

Fangraphs is mocking Anthony Seigler to the Yankees and Triston Casas to the Sox. I really hope the roles get reversed here. If Casas is available for us, I want him. He's a 1b of the future, so that limits his upside, but he has probably the best power of anyone in the draft, college included. Seigler is no slouch, projected to be able to stay behind the dish and hit from both sides of the plate, but when you have the opportunity to get a guy with 30+HR power potential and not so big a gap between potential and now, you take it.

Mayo has the Yanks getting Brice Turang and the Sox Ryan Rolison. Turang was supposed to be in the discussion for the top spot after the draft last year, but some prospect fatigue and a drop in offensive production is seeing him slide. I typically wouldn't have an issue with a guy like this, but if better offensive players are available, I would take them. I don't want a project offensively with athleticism as those guys bust more than boom, but Turang might break that mold just because of how long he has been on the prospect circle and how ridiculously high the expectations are. I can understand the pick if it is made, but depending on who they pass on will determine if I like it or not. Rolison is more a crafty lefty who should fly through the lower levels. Deep arsenal with a killer curve and the poise to stay in the rotation, he safely projects to the middle or back end of a rotation. He tops out around 93mph, so he isn't a true soft tosser, but he doesn't have high end velocity. This pick would be a good one for Boston as they need a guy who can rocket through the system and either become an option in the bigs or for trade.
    Hal sucks

Fangraphs is mocking Anthony Seigler to the Yankees and Triston Casas to the Sox. I really hope the roles get reversed here. If Casas is available for us, I want him. He's a 1b of the future, so that limits his upside, but he has probably the best power of anyone in the draft, college included. Seigler is no slouch, projected to be able to stay behind the dish and hit from both sides of the plate, but when you have the opportunity to get a guy with 30+HR power potential and not so big a gap between potential and now, you take it.

Mayo has the Yanks getting Brice Turang and the Sox Ryan Rolison. Turang was supposed to be in the discussion for the top spot after the draft last year, but some prospect fatigue and a drop in offensive production is seeing him slide. I typically wouldn't have an issue with a guy like this, but if better offensive players are available, I would take them. I don't want a project offensively with athleticism as those guys bust more than boom, but Turang might break that mold just because of how long he has been on the prospect circle and how ridiculously high the expectations are. I can understand the pick if it is made, but depending on who they pass on will determine if I like it or not. Rolison is more a crafty lefty who should fly through the lower levels. Deep arsenal with a killer curve and the poise to stay in the rotation, he safely projects to the middle or back end of a rotation. He tops out around 93mph, so he isn't a true soft tosser, but he doesn't have high end velocity. This pick would be a good one for Boston as they need a guy who can rocket through the system and either become an option in the bigs or for trade.
    Theres a lot of talk that the Sox will take Turang if he is there, but there's also a ton of talk connecting him to NY too. The Sox are also connected to a 1B/OF prospect named Seth Beer. Not much of an athlete, and probably will stay at 1B as a pro so that rules out 1/2 the teams but supposedly he can hit. He should make it on having a cool name alone.

For the Yankees, we need bats. Outside of Florial (who is on the DL) and Frazier (AAA), our offensive prospects haven't developed as fast as hoped (one got shot, so there is that). While there is a wave from the Dominican signed this past year, we wont see them in long season leagues for another 2-3 years. We need guys who can hit who can methodically move through our system and replenish some longer term coming losses. I can understand Turang, but we have been burned with the athletic types in the past who don't ever develop the stick. I would love to see us get Casas or Beer. Both of those guys have light tower power and solid offensive profiles in general. You guys need picks who can rocket through your system. With the window or cliff or whatever you want to call it, you need guys who can reach the bigs quickly or can become prime trade bait quickly. Beer and Casas might be able to provide that, probably more the former than the latter. Rolison makes a ton of sense as well in that mold
    Hal sucks

I think Ben C. and Theo take a guy like Turang. But Dave Dombrowski seems to have a history of predominantly drafting college pitchers, especially RH pitchers. The Sox have been said to really really like Logan Gilbert, but there's a good chance he is gone by the time he falls to the Sox.

With the system Baren, and the MLB team in win now mode I wonder if the Sox go heavy in the college department and try to draft some guys who can reach the majors quicker.

That is what I think. I anticipate your top 2 picks to be college players who can quickly ascend the minors and your prospect rankings
    Hal sucks

I am very hopeful that LHp Rolison of ole miss falls to us in the first round.

If all goes well, we follow it up with rhp pilkington of miss state in the second round.

Makes sense, entirely. I think the sox are looking high upside hitters or pitchers
    Hal sucks