Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Heard the Sox have had a scout watching Walker Steele of Oklahoma.

I still hope we Rolison falls to us at 26 and pilkington at 64.

My sleeper pick for 100 is the reliever from tcu German felder. Throws mid 90’s and has a decent slider. He should skyrocket through the minors and be in the big leagues by September 2019 as a call up.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Heard the Sox have had a scout watching Walker Steele of Oklahoma.

I still hope we Rolison falls to us at 26 and pilkington at 64.

My sleeper pick for 100 is the reliever from tcu German felder. Throws mid 90’s and has a decent slider. He should skyrocket through the minors and be in the big leagues by September 2019 as a call up.
    Would the sox go P, P, P? Or would they mix in a position player? Either way, I expect the sox and the yanks to have dichotomous strategies. I think the Yankees will select the best position player on their board with their first 2 picks, unless a pitcher falls who is head and shoulders above the remaining hitters. After that, the Yanks will select power pitching. This is what they do. They find big college relievers who have high spin rates and deep (for relief) arsenals who could move to a starting role OR they get guys who started who weren't from big name schools (Dalton Lehnen from D2 last yr who is dominating A ball right now). They'll be pitching heavy in the top 10 as they always are, but they will be top heavy with position players, maybe even their top 3 picks.

I expect the sox to draft a pitcher first unless there is a close to finished product offensive player available who is better than the SP. Pitchers rise faster than hitters and the sox desperately need their picks in the first 3 rounds to rise. They'd prefer to put their first two picks into the long season leagues and see if they can hit AA some time next season, which would put them on a prospect map and in position to land someone of consequence to fill holes that come up.
    Hal sucks

Heard on the radio that the Yankees had a scout following kumar rocker, the Georgia high school pitcher.

If Available the Sox will select Logan Gilbert or Brice Turang. Very good chance those guys go off the board in the 15-25 area of the draft. Aside from those guys falling the names that have been heavily connected to the Sox the past week have been.

Seth Beer. OF JR Clemson.
    Shane McClanahan. LHP JR. Florida
    Steele Walker OF JR. Oklahoma

Seth Beers name has been showing up a lot leading right up to the draft, he definitely wins the coolest name in the draft.

Also, of interest, is Roger Clemens son Kody Clemens is in this draft and has had talks with the Sox leading up to tonight. I'm not sure where he's projected to go but he's on the board for this team as well.

Brady Singer is tumbling down the draft. If he’s there for the Yanks, we have to take him. I know we want hitting, but you can’t pass up the #2 player in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Brady Singer is tumbling down the draft. If he’s there for the Yanks, we have to take him. I know we want hitting, but you can’t pass up the #2 player in the draft
    reminiscent of Groome falling in the draft, I have a hard time seeing him falling that far. The thing is once you fall out of the top 12 or so you're falling to teams who didn't anticipate you being there and didn't plan on having the money for you so theres a chance the teams draft the guy they had in their plans and the player keeps falling.

I forget the players' name but there was a guy a few years back who was a consensus top 10 picks who fell out of the first round but still got one of the highest bonuses in the draft because a team a big bonus pool was able to afford his demands in the compensation round.

He could fall, but he might blow up your whole draft too to get him.

There goes Logan Gilbert #14 to the Mariners.

I guess he was sort of a pipe dream though.
    Last edited by A Red Sox fan named Hugh; 06-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Singer to the Royals.

Supposedly Brewers are going with Turang, I think the Sox reach for some Beer if that happens.

Wow, Yankees are really reaching here.

Kiley McDaniels is reporting that the Sox will draft Triston Casas in two picks from now. A HS senior with plus-plus raw power. High Ceiling, Low floor guy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Wow, Yankees are really reaching here.
    Very nice pick by them.

With Rolison off the board, Sox look to take prep 1b casas.

I said before that I wanted Casas, so the fact that he’s a Sox sucks. I like Seigler. Switch hitter who can also switch throw, surprisingly. Has the goods to stay behind the dish and the bat projection to hit for both power and average. I like the pick. I would have loved Casas. Any time you have a guy with plus plus raw power at 18, you have to be intrigued. This kid has light tower power. Now he’s not advanced with his approach and has some holes in his swing, but he’s gonna hit a lot of bombs. I understand the yanks usually don’t like one-dimensional players, but this was one I’d make an exception on. So be it

So the question is at what position will Casas be developed. He was drafted as a 3rd baseman but has played 1st.

Maybe the Sox will think big and move him to catcher. They have had so much luck with that move!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."