Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Decker at 64. Baseball America has him ranked 110. Somebody must see something special in this kid to overdraft him.
    Baseball America had him much lower than other publications. The SoxProspects podcast mentioned that others had him closer to the 60's (Law, ESPN, MLB, fangraphs).
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, the Sox are a fairly young team. They don't need guys up in BOS in the short term.
    With contracts rising and the cliff approaching, having players capable of filling in within the next 2-3 seasons is prudent. Either to fill in or be dealt for cheaper fill ins

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    With contracts rising and the cliff approaching, having players capable of filling in within the next 2-3 seasons is prudent. Either to fill in or be dealt for cheaper fill ins
    I don't live in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, the Sox are a fairly young team. They don't need guys up in BOS in the short term.
    We sure could use some farm infusions in the next 2-4 years.

We won't be able to keep everyone, and if we could just add one high impact player from the farm at a minimum salary, it would have a chain reaction effect with our tight budget.

It's not a given that Henry will spend $39.9M over the luxury tax 3-4 years in a row. Even without the maximum penalties being applied, the tax rate goes up and up on thet $39M.

Legend
    Really it's all "best available". What is tricky about saying look they picked a guy at 64 ranked 110 is that in reality the gap between 64 and 110 is pretty small ... eye of the beholder stuff. Kumar Rocker is still available and he fascinates me on a number of fronts (including somebody not in the spelling bee for me to take ethnic pride in).

It looks like the Sox are going ceiling so far with their two picks - which is a bit more of a throwback approach to the previous regime than the first couple of Dombrowski drafts. Nothing wrong with that - if the coaching, development and kid deliver the goods.

Rocker is probably unsignable

Legend
    Rocker is probably unsignable
    At this point, yes. Vandy commit. Of course if someone scrounges up a significant bonus that can change.

Someone will take him in round 11 or later and see if they can use some bonus savings to tempt him.
    Last edited by sk7326; 06-05-2018 at 02:24 PM.

3rd rounder Durbin Feltman is the kind of pick I expected out of the Sox. Short statured closer with huge velocity and a slider that is really good already. He should run through the sox system quickly
    Hal sucks

After the 2nd round overslot HSer, the sox have gone college. Feltman looks like a legit prospect. Not sure about the rest aside from Granberg, who has hit everywhere he has gone.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    At this point, yes. Vandy commit. Of course if someone scrounges up a significant bonus that can change.

Someone will take him in round 11 or later and see if they can use some bonus savings to tempt him.
    It's 50/50 at this point. The ultimate lazy man's answer, I know. But there's a strong possibility he signs. He's definitely getting drafted tomorrow, the questions do he sign and that will come down to, as you said, if a team has saved enough money on rounds 3-10 today to sign him.

What is absolutely fascinating is that the Sox are going with a completely different draft strategy and one I've never seen before. They're swinging for the fences and going after big power guys.

I can't think of the last time the Sox signed a 1B in the first round.

This draft had a lot of power. Casas was one of the most powerful. I won’t lie, I wanted him in NY. I just wonder why DD went that route with the needs clearly being a two year turnaround of the system

This draft had a lot of power. Casas was one of the most powerful. I won’t lie, I wanted him in NY. I just wonder why DD went that route with the needs clearly being a two year turnaround of the system
    Maybe he thinks the big need is for 2021 not 2020, although Casas might not be ready by then either.

Maybe he just picked the best player available on their chart. (He could be traded in 1-3 years.)

Maybe he saw the league moving towards power and jumped on the band wagon.

Maybe he likes some of the prospects we have in the system right now more than you and me, and he thinks we'll have significant infusion in the next 1-3 years.

It could be a little of all of this and more we don't know about.

My niece is a teacher at American Heritage, but Casas is at a different campus. My niece usually knows about the top athletes at the school. She knew about the kid India who went to the Reds, but she didn’t know Casas. If he was such a big deal, I would think that word of his fame would have spread to the DelRay campus.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    My niece is a teacher at American Heritage, but Casas is at a different campus. My niece usually knows about the top athletes at the school. She knew about the kid India who went to the Reds, but she didn’t know Casas. If he was such a big deal, I would think that word of his fame would have spread to the DelRay campus.
    They are a perennial powerhouse. Another MLB draft pick to them is no big deal. https://www.baseball-reference.com/s...chool=1a35fa5a