Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

All-Star

2018 MLB Draft Thread

Talk about the 2018 Draft here. It's less than a month away. Sox have been connected to Seth Beer. I've seen the Yankees connected to several but most mock drafts have us taking Casas or a redraft with Beck. Casas looks like a stud, really want a pitcher but if Casas is still around he'd be awesome. JT Ginn in the 2nd round would be awesome too.

Beer in the first round and Connor pilkington in the second round and that is a huge start to rebuilding our farm system!

Our pitching depth is insane and adding to it at the top of the draft isn’t high on my priority list unless they’ve got one as best available. We are running out of pitching slots in the system while fielding rather pedestrian lineups. We need to reload the offensive side of the ball, especially since our usual route of IFA hasn’t hit as well as we had hoped

Left handed pitcher Ryan Rolison from ole miss would be a huge win if he falls to us in the first round,

Cole Wilcox is a high school right handed pitcher that seems to fit the Sox model.

He is tall at 6’4” or so and has a fastball that sits 92-93. The fastball has some downward motion and does not sit in one plane.

We do seem to have a scout in the southeast that likes Georgia kids.

Logan Gilbert, Rhp from Stetson Could work for us as well in this draft. He is 6’5” and throws in th low 90’s. Fastball and change up are plus pitches. Not sure what the breaking ball is, but I guess it could be a slider.
    He was the Atlantic sun conference player of the year as a sophomore. Then pitched really well in cape cod.
    Ps: Stetson produced kluber and de grom, so why not try and catch lightening in a bottle for a third time?

Ethan Hankins rhp Georgia high school. Tall at 6’5” plus.

Incredible life on his fastball. The fastball sits low to mid 90’s but it has a ton of life on it. He can throw it on both sides of the plate. Best fastball I have seen to date in this draft. His fastball makes houck’s look like a middle schooler is throwing it.

The other secondary stuff is raw and needs lots of work.

Highly unlikely he slips to us, but if he does, Desperate dave needs to be all over this kid!

Grayson Rodriguez had the potential to be a major league starter. At 6’4” plus he meets the Sox height requirement.

Fastball sits 92 or so. It’s a heavy ball that is tough to muscle up.

He throws a decent slider and I know the Sox don’t usually let their starters throw sliders. Th curveball is a work in progress.

Callis mocked Groshans to you. I have seen mocks with him higher than this mostly due to his all around game and athleticism rather than sky high ceiling. I don't think this is a good move for a system completely devoid of talent in the upper levels. I think DD goes college all the way unless one of the uber talented prep kids fall. I could see Beer or Hannah in the mix for Boston rather than a HS kid who wont hit prospect circles for 2-3 years. They need a fast mover who can be in AA this time next yr for a trade or groom to take over a spot vacated by departures.

He mocked Turang to the Yankees. If this were last yr, I would pinch myself, but Turang has been on the map for so long, that he is starting to cause some prospect fatigue. He also hasn't been as productive as the season before and this could drop his stock. He's an athletic SS whose bat is the biggest question mark. We have plenty of those types in the system, but Turang's potential offensively will dwarf the others guys in system who were picked as glove first guys. It would be a good value pick at this point, but as we are thinning out on the position player side in the middle levels of the system, I would rather see a college bat or bat first HSer like Casas.
    Hal sucks

Jeremy eierman of mizzu state is a guy I think projects as a second baseman with some power,

I think he projects to be at the major leagues in 3 years and that is just prior to pedroia’s contract expiring,

Eierman has been top 10 until the past month. Now he’s mocked to fall out of the first round altogether. Clearly, teams need to draft best available, but when you do your draft list, you have guys listed in groups. If a player falls down to them that they don’t think should fall, then take them. But I don’t think the Sox should be snagging a HSer with athleticism and significant distance between floor and ceiling. If they have guys in the same grouping when their pick comes, they have to prefer getting a “safer” pick. The Sox need someone who can tear through the lower levels and appear to have trade value. With the cliff approaching and expensive players pricing themselves out, the Sox will need to replace those stars and I doubt they’ll be able to develop them by then. But if they collect some assets down on the farm, they may be able to trade for them
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 05-29-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Eierman has been top 10 until the past month. Now he’s mocked to fall out of the first round altogether. Clearly, teams need to draft best available, but when you do your draft list, you have guys listed in groups. If a player falls down to them that they don’t think should fall, then take them. But I don’t think the Sox should be snagging a HSer with athleticism and significant distance between floor and ceiling. If they have guys in the same grouping when their pick comes, they have to prefer getting a “safer” pick. The Sox need someone who can tear through the lower levels and appear to have trade value. With the cliff approaching and expensive players pricing themselves out, the Sox will need to replace those stars and I doubt they’ll be able to develop them by then. But if they collect some assets down on the farm, they may be able to trade for them
    I'm pretty sure DD is scouring TalkSox and making sure that our cliff concerns are being met.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

How do you continue to be dominant when your kids become expensive? With internal development is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    How do you continue to be dominant when your kids become expensive? With internal development is the answer
    My answer is that all the kids won't become dominant. Just look at what the FA class earned this year. The only guy that will break the bank is Mookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

What about Xander? Sale? Kimbrel?