Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 5/16 A's at Fenway

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    They have to pick JBJ back up again and get him hitting good enough to be out there in CF. Our defense is basically on fumes and just waiting for the next batted baseball to prove itself insufficient.

As for the Kelly/Kimbrel combination being the best 8th and 9th combo in baseball, you could put a monkey ahead of Kimbrel and make that claim. Kelly still has that flat as a pancake FB that just does not do anything at 100 mph. He has struggled to find a role that suits him for how long now? He is in the 8th by default at this point because we have nobody else that can even begin to go there.

Strength of this team is still its rotation. It was built that way. For those that are amused at our lack of pitching development as an organization, it has always been that way here. In Boston we develop hitters and BUY pitchers. So it has been and so it shall be.
    Meh. I'm fine with Moreland in the lineup and JBJ not. Our defense is not on fumes, and no centerfielder in the history of MLB can make the difference you and others claim JBJ makes with his defense. I think Betts is as good in RF as JBJ is in CF, but we value Betts most for his great offense which is as it should be. JBJ deserves his -.4 WAR. But don't get me wrong: if Cora decides to play him, I'm fine with that too.

The rotation looks great on paper, especially with Price healthy and Porcello having such a good start. But lately not so great. Earlier in the year we were getting quality starts regularly. Now, not so much, mostly because the starters aren't going 6 or more innings. When they go just 5, the bullpen has to do 4, and the bullpen is struggling. Team ERA was 2d best in MLB a month ago. Now it's 9th best.

I agree with bellhorn on Kelly and you should too. Kimbrel's WAR is 1.0, and Kelly's is 0.9. Kelly has also pitched more innings than Kimbrel and has a lower ERA. True, Kelly has walked 8 guys vs. Kimbrel's 4, but Kimbrel has given up 4 dingers and Kelly none.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Meh. I'm fine with Moreland in the lineup and JBJ not. Our defense is not on fumes, and no centerfielder in the history of MLB can make the difference you and others claim JBJ makes with his defense. I think Betts is as good in RF as JBJ is in CF, but we value Betts most for his great offense which is as it should be. JBJ deserves his -.4 WAR. But don't get me wrong: if Cora decides to play him, I'm fine with that too.

The rotation looks great on paper, especially with Price healthy and Porcello having such a good start. But lately not so great. Earlier in the year we were getting quality starts regularly. Now, not so much, mostly because the starters aren't going 6 or more innings. When they go just 5, the bullpen has to do 4, and the bullpen is struggling. Team ERA was 2d best in MLB a month ago. Now it's 9th best.

I agree with bellhorn on Kelly and you should too. Kimbrel's WAR is 1.0, and Kelly's is 0.9. Kelly has also pitched more innings than Kimbrel and has a lower ERA. True, Kelly has walked 8 guys vs. Kimbrel's 4, but Kimbrel has given up 4 dingers and Kelly none.
    Still a tad early to tell how Porcello will do unfortunately. He started the season fantastic and looked like the Porcello of 2016 but his last 2 starts have been less than good. Sale is still having himself a year as he is 3rd overall in strikeouts. Price is up in the air but looked good his last start if he can stay healthy. I still think we have one of the most solid rotations in the entire league. But unfortunately it has been inconsistent and it seems when our pitching fails us everything fails. We are a do or die team with our pitching. Same can be said with most teams I guess, but a lot of teams offensively will pick up the slack. If we get behind early and our starter gets pulled in the 3rd or 4th inning it seems almost impossible for this team to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    They have to pick JBJ back up again and get him hitting good enough to be out there in CF. Our defense is basically on fumes and just waiting for the next batted baseball to prove itself insufficient.

As for the Kelly/Kimbrel combination being the best 8th and 9th combo in baseball, you could put a monkey ahead of Kimbrel and make that claim. Kelly still has that flat as a pancake FB that just does not do anything at 100 mph. He has struggled to find a role that suits him for how long now? He is in the 8th by default at this point because we have nobody else that can even begin to go there.

Strength of this team is still its rotation. It was built that way. For those that are amused at our lack of pitching development as an organization, it has always been that way here. In Boston we develop hitters and BUY pitchers. So it has been and so it shall be.
    Bad take. Kelly has been really great this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    But oh the daydream! Machado at 3B, Pedroia back and healthy at 2B, Thornburg back and healthy as the 8th inning guy. I just need Velazquez to move into the rotation and bump any of Price, Pomeranz, E-Rod and the dream will be complete
    I wouldn't trade Devers for Machado. I like Machado, but that's a big hit to the budget if you sign him for 8 years. Would rather keep Xander/Betts.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I wouldn't trade Devers for Machado. I like Machado, but that's a big hit to the budget if you sign him for 8 years. Would rather keep Xander/Betts.
    Me too.