Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beni rising!?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Beni can't play RF in Fenway. Not sure he could reach 2b with a throw from the corner in RF. His arm is pretty terrible.
    Yet he made a nice cutdown throw just a couple of days ago. His arm is average for the position not terrible.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd add better base-running awareness, but I agree totally.

I'm also hoping his OBP improves more than his slugging.
    We're on the same page. He and others sometimes lose focus. Maybe the terrible mistake the other night will shock him into staying in the game, so to speak. My view of Beni is if his timing got just a little more toward pulling he would have better results. Fenway is tough on leftys with limited power, but he could be a killler in Yankee stadium.

pros: swing path; LH hitter; hair; speed; spurts of power; uses all fields
    cons: baserunning; baserunning; noodle arm; base running
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We're on the same page. He and others sometimes lose focus. Maybe the terrible mistake the other night will shock him into staying in the game, so to speak.
    The comments I read by Cora made it clear he was not happy at all with that blunder and with some of the other base running blunders this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    pros: swing path; LH hitter; hair; speed; spurts of power; uses all fields
    cons: baserunning; baserunning; noodle arm; base running
    He cut his hair, that's a con now. That baserunning is rough. He had trouble for a while throwing to the correct bag or cutoff man. I haven't noticed that recently tho.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

He cut his hair, that's a con now. That baserunning is rough. He had trouble for a while throwing to the correct bag or cutoff man. I haven't noticed that recently tho.
    I am pretty sure that I was first here at TS to mention his throwing deficiencies. I remember getting jumped on by the infection.

Regardless, he does seem to be throwing more accurately and effectively now.

Which is good.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am pretty sure that I was first here at TS to mention his throwing deficiencies. I remember getting jumped on by the infection.

Regardless, he does seem to be throwing more accurately and effectively now.

Which is good.
    It was bad enough that I believe even the broadcasters talked about him throwing to the wrong bag. He definitely is a guy that needs to be coached up on the finer points of the game.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

It was bad enough that I believe even the broadcasters talked about him throwing to the wrong bag. He definitely is a guy that needs to be coached up on the finer points of the game.
    The thing that bothers me about Beni is that he makes mistake after mistake that, if he were a high school player, his coach would be all over him. This guy has played in the SEC (a pretty good brand of baseball!) and three levels in the minors and he's still making mental errors. After playing that much ball wouldn't doing the right thing usually be automatic??
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The thing that bothers me about Beni is that he makes mistake after mistake that, if he were a high school player, his coach would be all over him. This guy has played in the SEC (a pretty good brand of baseball!) and three levels in the minors and he's still making mental errors. After playing that much ball wouldn't doing the right thing usually be automatic??
    He is still kind of young and has been playing his 3rd year in MLB. I see your point.

Maybe he is just a dope?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

He is still kind of young and has been playing his 3rd year in MLB. I see your point.

Maybe he is just a dope?
    I prefer to use the phrase "He lacks baseball IQ".
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I prefer to use the phrase "He lacks baseball IQ".
    I agree. In interviews, he seems plenty intelligent and interesting... get the sense that he plays other sports and has other interests outside baseball. Likeable and kind of cool. And about Betts' size which makes his power impressive. May he keep hitting and hold onto that 2 hole which, I think, fits him.

Interestingly enough, Beni's base running stats are all in the positive, though barely for UBR. I would not have expected that.

UBR 0.1
    wGDP 0.8
    wSB 1.3

Deity

Maybe he is just a dope?
    I've got a couple of insiders who can attest to the fact then yes he is a dope. If he hits, well I can deal with that.

44 172 31 49 12 3 5 29 24 32 8 0 .285 .367 .477 .844

and climbing....

Yes, we've seen Beni hot & cold before, but I'm convinced that this becomes a breakout year for Beni.

Yep. He's still a dope on the basepaths, as I said earlier, but I stand by these numbers.

Close to .300+, .400 obp, .475+ slgl, circa .900 OPS
    20 HR +/- 2
    85+ rbi's
    90+ runs scored

Breakout. Possible All-Star?
    Last edited by Sox75; 05-22-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Legend
    Critical situation in game Smart Manager will bring in a Lefty against him. .212 career against a Lefty, and this year hitting .179. Last year hit .232 against Lefties.