Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need an offensive catcher?

Do we need an offensive catcher?

question in the title. CV and Leon both have very good track records for their defense, but Vazquez is below the Mendoza line, and Leon is just barely above it. We are getting negative oWAR from the catching position right now, and while it's not the end of the world, it's something to think about.

Do you think the Red Sox make a move at some point to pick up a catcher with a bit more stick? Or is the obvious defensive skills of Vazquez and Leon and success of the rotation under their guidance enough to make up for the hole in the lineup?

What are your thoughts?

Personally I'm satisfied with the catching tandem we have, at least in theory. But watching either one of those men walk up to the plate with 2 outs and a RISP is not fun sometimes, and it's easy to lose perspective when an inning doesn't go your way because one of those guys came to the plate, wet paper bag in hand. I can kind of see both sides here, but I lean towards being happy with the catcher situation.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

"Offensive"? No. Just some catchers that can be adequate. If Vaz and Leon can hit like they have in the past, they're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    "Offensive"? No. Just some catchers that can be adequate. If Vaz and Leon can hit like they have in the past, they're fine.
    Vazquez hit .290 last season in 100 games. While that may be the highwater mark for him careerwise, he is certainly capable of putting up numbers in the .240 to .250 range consistently.

Leon would probably be about 10 points lower than that.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

My biggest concern with Vaz is that his overall defensive game seems to either be trending downward or just not improving to what we expected.

Leon is fine defensively. I rarely watch a Sandy game and wonder what the heck he's doing back there. Somedays, Vaz just seems out to lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Unlike my belief that JBJ is cooked, I think Vaz and Leon will be fine. That said, if the right trade presents itself, getting a catcher who can hit closer to .275 and still is good defensively would really help.

The Sox gotten by a no hitting catcher for 10+ years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    The Sox gotten by a no hitting catcher for 10+ years now.
    True, and not that we are near the lead in runs scored, suddenly, it's a problem.

Vaz and Leon will hit better than the way they started the season. That should be fine.

I say stick with them.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I am not willing to sacrifice defense behind the plate to gain more offense. I'm happy with the tandem that we have. Besides, as many have noted, neither one of them is as bad as they are currently hitting.

Deity
    Why would we need to be offended by the catcher?

......for the love of God !!!! yeSssssssssssssssssss !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Vaz and Leon will hit better than the way they started the season. That should be fine.

I say stick with them.
    That said, I'd still like to see if Swihart can actually catch and can actually hit.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    That said, I'd still like to see if Swihart can actually catch and can actually hit.
    You have a club winning roughly 2/3 of its games (108 win pace) and neck in neck with the Evil Empire. It is not the time to experiment/find out. That is done by second division clubs in September, not potential playoff teams in May.

The coaching staff sees him every day. They see him in the bullpen and in the cage. They have the input from the minor league coaches. Not one person here has any of that information. He has not taken advantage of the few chances he's had. He has to do well enough to force the issue; he hasn't.

If he's not playing, it's for a reason. If he were better than the other 2, he's be playing.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    You have a club winning roughly 2/3 of its games (108 win pace) and neck in neck with the Evil Empire. It is not the time to experiment/find out. That is done by second division clubs in September, not potential playoff teams in May.

The coaching staff sees him every day. They see him in the bullpen and in the cage. They have the input from the minor league coaches. Not one person here has any of that information. He has not taken advantage of the few chances he's had. He has to if he wants to play.

If he's not playing, it's for a reason. If he were better than the other 2, he's be playing.
    It's actually possible that Cora starts Bradley and Vazquez/Leon as often as the does because he values their defensive contributions. The rest of the team is hitting, but the rest of the team isn't fielding...

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I agree with this too.

Although I believe that he can hit from what I have seen.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."