Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanley DFA’d

Hanley’s money isn’t bringing back Kimbrel and Kelly but coupled with other monies and a down performance from JbJ, it isn’t out of the realm. Kelly continues to dominate and elite stuff setup men are getting $8-$9 mil a year. If a team thinks Kelly will close, he might see $10-$11 mil a year. Kimbrel is the best closer there is and will likely try to beat Chapman’s $18 mil AAV. Hanley’s money means the Sox get to keep one of them while also being able to absorb the insane raises Betts and Bogaerts are looking at. Now if Bradley continues on in his funk, he may not see an arbitration raise which could allow the Sox to potentially replace Pom with a back end guy on the cheap or get a reliever who isn’t top tier to bridge to Kimbrel. If they do re-sign Kelly, that taps out your season and may even put you over the cap all things considered.

Looking at the projected cash for 2019....

Losses
    Hanley $22 mil
    Pom $9 mil
    Kimbrel $12 mil
    Kelly $3 mil

That’s a total of $46 mil saved. You re-sign Kimbrel at $20 mil AAV. Betts will be looking at a $7 mil raise. Bogaerts will be looking at the same. Vasquez makes $3 mil per annum after this year. Other guys in the pen are arb eligible as I think ERod is too

I would think this means that Swihart will see some action at first, at least against tough lefties. Moreland is best if he doesn't play every day (maybe he plays 4-5x a week with Swihart 2x).
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The article by Speier on it is a good one.
    Yes, Speier agrees with me. I had already mentioned in the Hanley thread how having him on the roster hurt flexibility.

Pinch me because I just fucking died...
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Sox aren't getting Harper and/or Kershaw.

Just extend Betts or bring back Kelly/Kimbrel...

Machine gun Is not worth anymore coin than what you are paying now. The player has control issues.
    What’s Kimbrel worth, 15 tops per year?

Porcello next via trade at the break and when Price bows out, you go after one of the Big 3

Your a power pitcher short this year in the rotation, bullpen after CK is not good, make plans for 19!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Correct, unless he is claimed off waivers.

(He isn't getting claimed off waivers. But he will very likely play for another MLB team this year.)
    In the likely event Hanley Ramirez is not claimed, a team would need to decide whether Ramirez is worth the league minimum this year and $22 million next year to play for roughly one and two-thirds seasons (assuming the team plans to play Ramirez enough to reach the vesting option). That prorates to an annual salary of about $13.5 million.

Ramirez may be stuck in purgatory ... at least until later in the season when a team can sign Ramirez for the league minimum and not worry about the vesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    Machine gun Is not worth anymore coin than what you are paying now. The player has control issues.
    What’s Kimbrel worth, 15 tops per year?

Porcello next via trade at the break and when Price bows out, you go after one of the Big 3

Your a power pitcher short this year in the rotation, bullpen after CK is not good, make plans for 19!
    You clearly have little understanding of the MLB’s economics

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I would think this means that Swihart will see some action at first, at least against tough lefties. Moreland is best if he doesn't play every day (maybe he plays 4-5x a week with Swihart 2x).
    Sounds like a good call.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You clearly have little understanding of the MLB’s economics
    Or even how to use Baseball-Reference for stats.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    In the likely event Hanley Ramirez is not claimed, a team would need to decide whether Ramirez is worth the league minimum this year and $22 million next year to play for roughly one and two-thirds seasons (assuming the team plans to play Ramirez enough to reach the vesting option). That prorates to an annual salary of about $13.5 million.

Ramirez may be stuck in purgatory ... at least until later in the season when a team can sign Ramirez for the league minimum and not worry about the vesting option.
    The option only is in play if Hanley is traded/claimed off waivers (which is about as likely as 59 year old me signing with a team). If he does get picked up after that, it becomes a new contract and the option is void. The new team would pay the prorated portion of the minimum (~$367K) with the Sox on the hook for the balance of this year's contract (roughly $12.5M).

For $367K, somebody will take a shot.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Interesting to see the budget discussion and various possible moves to resign a couple of guys. Meanwhile the Sox will now be paying Hanley $15MM+- ; Panda $18MM+-; and Rusney Castillo $9MM+- to not play at Fenway. Those 3 non-players cost more than a couple teams overall budget , Derek Jeter. And glove throwing Carson Smith took himself out as a useless POS.

It's been said more than a few times that DD and the Sox really need to win it all this year before the young core of this team moves on to "greener" arbitration and FA fields. Cora will be around for awhile so he may get to see the next generation of can't misses. Glad Pedroia is back and he needs to get it going quickly.

Unfortunately, Sam Travis has sucked this year. Swihart needs to make the most of this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Interesting to see the budget discussion and various possible moves to resign a couple of guys. Meanwhile the Sox will now be paying Hanley $15MM+- ; Panda $18MM+-; and Rusney Castillo $9MM+- to not play at Fenway. Those 3 non-players cost more than a couple teams overall budget , Derek Jeter. And glove throwing Carson Smith took himself out as a useless POS.

It's been said more than a few times that DD and the Sox really need to win it all this year before the young core of this team moves on to "greener" arbitration and FA fields. Cora will be around for awhile so he may get to see the next generation of can't misses. Glad Pedroia is back and he needs to get it going quickly.
    People are worried about next year's budget. Saving $22M from not letting Hanley vest is a good way to help re-sign the other players they have.

I did not see this coming but it is a good move all around.

To bad. I shit all over Hanley but he was fun to have around and regardless of his recent offensive slide he remains an effective and sometimes dangerous hitter. I hope that he is released and it seems that should happen.

Some team will snag him at the minimum and get commensurate return or better value.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pinch me because I just fucking died...
    This is all your doing.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."