Register now to remove this ad

Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanley DFA’d

Legend
    MassLive presents many developing sides of the Hanley Ramirez story:

https://www.masslive.com/expo/sports...s_what_we.html

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    i was referring to the person who broke the story on Hanley. That person didn’t know who he was. Of course there was plenty of opinion about it after the story dropped. That was natural. The irresponsible act was the initial reporting of the story. My opinion that I would stay out of the country for a while if I was Hanley was not a slam at him or a prejudgment of him. It is sound advice to wait until the authorities have time to sort out the issue and hopefully clear him. That would be better than coming back during the investigation and possibly being detained and/or interrogated.
    And I was referring to the amount of people who commented on that story without waiting for all the facts and/or more sides of the story. Dismissing hurried and dangerous opinions and not waiting for all the facts to come forward as 'of course people will give opinion' is as lazy as it harmful. There was irresponsible behaviour all round.

And there is no way a reporter did not know who Hanley Ramirez was before they posted. They would have done background on the person before reporting his name.

The fact that the US have an extradition treaty with DR means whether he comes back or not means little. If they want him, they will have him.
    Last edited by Hitch; 06-25-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    And I was referring to the amount of people who commented on that story without waiting for all the facts and/or more sides of the story. Dismissing hurried and dangerous opinions and not waiting for all the facts to come forward as 'of course people will give opinion' is as lazy as it harmful. There was irresponsible behaviour all round.

And there is no way a reporter did not know who Hanley Ramirez was before they posted. They would have done background on the person before reporting his name.

The fact that the US have an extradition treaty with DR means whether he comes back or not means little. If they want him, they will have him.
    The reporter knew that he was on the Red Sox,but didn’t know anything about him. As for what people said about it, all I know is what I read here. I don’t think anyone here prejudged his guilt. Everyone on TalkSox has hoped that he would be cleared.

Edit : As for extradition, it is a fairly cumbersome process. They are not going to seek extradition to interrogate him or try to flip him on the perpetrator.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 06-25-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Or course I've written nothing of the sort.

Most stories have many sides. I simply provided another perspective without an endorsement.
    "Lawyerspeak" at it's best.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    "Lawyerspeak" at it's best.
    Of course I was the first on this thread to disclose that the Boston Globe had reported that Hanley Ramirez was not under federal investigation:

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...75#post1155575

I've linked multiple sides of this story.

Objectivity is a heavy cross to bear.

Deity
    The "I love Hanley sticker" never hit me in the head I guess. From a promising beginning career that saw him traded in spite of the enormous talent , and he did have talent, to today. I never heard anything really confirmed but I think that we all are aware of the rumors as to why the Sox traded him in the first place. As the years have gone by, crap about his attitude has followed him everywhere he has gone. When he could hit, he was tolerable - now not so much. In this particular instance, in today's world maybe people don't want to judged by the company they keep. That is just the way it goes I guess. I have no feeling for Ramirez at all. He is gone. I will always believe that there was more to the story of his release than fear of him getting to that option.

Of course I was the first on this thread to disclose that the Boston Globe had reported that Hanley Ramirez was not under federal investigation:

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...75#post1155575

I've linked multiple sides of this story.

Objectivity is a heavy cross to bear.
    You also posted this:
    Boston Globe reporter Michele McPhee reportedly claims that Hanley Ramirez was "cleared" only by an unidentified defense attorney:

While objectivity is a heavy cross so is trolling and managing to do it with plausible deniability.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Burn.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    You also posted this:
    Boston Globe reporter Michele McPhee reportedly claims that Hanley Ramirez was "cleared" only by an unidentified defense attorney:

While objectivity is a heavy cross so is trolling and managing to do it with plausible deniability.
    Don't fall into the trap of adopting only the reports that support your desired narrative.

I presume Hanley Ramirez to be innocent but remain skeptical of all media reports from the McPhee tweet to the defense attorney’s refutation.

Legend
    A reputable source, Reuters, reports that a Drug Enforcement Administration affidavit indicated that the suspect told police that Hanley Ramirez had no involvement with the drugs:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1JL0WY

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think teams aer willing to, but not with an offer he likes. Adam Lind was willing to accept a minor league deal. Hanley may not be so inclined. He's a 3 time all star, 4 time top ten MVP and former Rookie of the Year. The idea of having to prove himself again by playing games after long bus rides might not be a situation he is looking forward to.

I'd be very surprised if he has not gotten any minor league offers. But I can also see why very few teams are willing to give him an MLB-minimum chance and a 25-man roster spot right now, given his performance and the positions he can still handle.

As for this report, it's not like he is looking for a multi-year deal and teams are faced with the risk of signing him thinking he might have pending legal issues. For a minimum wage deal, they could simply release him if there was anything to the allegations with no harm done. The reason that hasn't happened yet is probably the lack of deals that interest him.

He very well might be retired by choice right now...
    According to Hanley, he is currently not signed by another team by his choice. That makes sense to me.

All I'm saying is that I hope that no team would choose not to sign him based on these apparently false accusations.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/alex-re...-backs-exactly
    It's possible that there might still be more coming out about Hanley's involvement, but it also sounds like McPhee is just trying to cover her butt for potentially harming a good man's reputation and character.

No one “believed” anything about him. It is the nature of instantaneous news in the Internet age. There is a lot of irresponsible news reporting that is improperly sourced and unverified. The person that dropped the bomb on Hanley didn’t know anything about him.
    Oh please. A lot of people immediately believed the worst about Hanley.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Hanley continued his horrible May into June, his fWAR would be way worse. His current season total is boosted due to his April.

Only two players had a worse May: Lewis Brinson and Chris Davis. You could make a case that both of these guys aren't MLB value right now.
    OTOH, if Hanley rebounded from his horrible May back to his April numbers, his fWAR could get much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    She also clarifies that she never said Hanley was under investigation.
    No, but her headline was that Hanley was 'being eyed'. That's more or less the same thing.