Register now to remove this ad

Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanley DFA’d

Pete Abraham
    ‏Verified account @PeteAbe
    1m1 minute ago

Lots of variables to consider. But if you're curious:

#RedSox with Hanley Ramirez on the roster: 50 games, 5.28 runs, .787 OPS.

#RedSox without Ramirez on the roster: 24 games, 4.54 runs, .755 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Pete Abraham
    1m1 minute ago

I could spin doctor some answers to this:

1) The last 24 games included 4 games each in Houston and Seattle!
    1) Our offense started dipping in May, and Hanley was a big part of that!
    2) Our offense took a hit when Mookie went on the DL and he doesn't appear to be back to 100% yet!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Of course it does.
    It would seem that you are likely right. I do still think that there is more to the story. A couple of things seem to be working against him. If you could sign him to the minimum and you still thought that you could, why wouldn't you? Maybe they just don't like the big lovable guy. Whether people want to accept that opinion or not, it still is a possibility. It is also possible that they think from a talent perspective, he just isn't worth carrying. it seems very odd to me for sure. I do think that if he had been hitting he would still be with us.

It's also possible that Hanley's agent has gotten a call or two but that Hanley wasn't interested in that particular team. He's going to collect 22 million whether he's playing or at home, so you can understand why he might not just jump at any opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

2) Our offense took a hit when Mookie went on the DL and he doesn't appear to be back to 100% yet!

Mookie isn’t back to 100% or he’s not back to space alien in Space Jam after stealing all star power yet? Mookie’s start was unsustainable.

If Dave and Hanley have an agreement to come back to be a part time player I'm all for it .I also think Hanley may excel in that role .

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Mookie isn’t back to 100% or he’s not back to space alien in Space Jam after stealing all star power yet? Mookie’s start was unsustainable.
    That's true, but the oblique may still be bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Pete Abraham
    1m1 minute ago

Hanley OPS .708
    PeteAbe is a moron.

Deity
    It's also possible that Hanley's agent has gotten a call or two but that Hanley wasn't interested in that particular team. He's going to collect 22 million whether he's playing or at home, so you can understand why he might not just jump at any opportunity.
    It is possible I agree. No one knows the whole story. We just make what we think are good guesses. I hope he is happy and that we never get the whole story if there even is one. I do have a little problem though understanding how a professional baseball player might not be interested in "jumping " right back into it regardless of how much money they might be making. It is what he has always done. It has been his life. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    If Dave and Hanley have an agreement to come back to be a part time player I'm all for it .I also think Hanley may excel in that role .
    At this point, we could bring him back as a FT'er and he still wouldn't vest.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    At this point, we could bring him back as a FT'er and he still wouldn't vest.
    I think your math is a little iffy. He needed 302 more PA's and there are 87 games left.

I think your math is a little iffy. He needed 302 more PA's and there are 87 games left.
    He played in 44 games with us and got 177 PAs.

If he played in all 87 games (highly unlikely even if "fulltime"), he get about 350 PAs. Yes, that would put him over, but in reality, I'm looking at these aspects:

1) He'd have to take a few games in AAA to get back into form.
    2) He reportedly rehabbing an injury as we speak.
    3) When he gave us those 44 games, it was over our first 50 games. That's 88%. Even if he was signed and added to the ML roster today, and played at the same rate as pre-DFA, he'd only play in about 76 games. In reality, it might be more like 70 tops. At 4.43 PAs per game (pre-DFA rate), he's get about 310 PAs. At less than 68 games played, he'd be under.

In reality, you are right. If he started tomorrow and played at his previous rate, he vest by a few PAs.

Anyways, it's not happening.

I think it's unlikely but I wouldn't shocked or unhappy one bit if he was to come back next Friday .

LOL I actually don't think you are spin doctoring this. As PA pointed out, there are lots of variables to consider, including the ones that you've mentioned.

Especially if those calls are from teams like the Orioles or the Tigers.

I wouldn't be surprised is Hanley is soured by this whole situation and just wants some time away from baseball.