Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox starting pitching thread

Sox starting pitching thread

I thought it would be nice to have a thread that focuses exclusively on the Sox rotation and prospective starters. We're a third of the way through the season, and here's where things stand:

The rotation:
    1. Chris Sale - 2.76 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 8 out of 12 quality starts, 75 innings pitched
    2. Rick Porcello - 3.74 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 7 out of 11 quality starts, 67.1 innings pitched
    3. David Price - 4.04 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 4 out of 11 quality starts, 62.1 innings pitched
    4. Eduardo Rodriguez - 4.02 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 3 out of 10 quality starts, 53.2 innings pitched
    5. Drew Pomeranz - 6.75 ERA, 1.88 WHIP, 2 out of 7 quality starts, 32 innings pitched

My take: Overall this is a solid rotation. Sale is stronger than most #1s, Porcello is about what you'd expect in a #2, forget what he's being paid Price is solid when viewed as a #3 starter, and E-Rod is better than most #4s. It's our #5 spot where the wheels fall off. At 29 Pomeranz should be at the height of his ability, but he seems a shadow of what he was. Hopefully he improves quickly.

Waiting in the wings
    1. Hector Velazquez - 2.15 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 29.1 innings pitched
    2. Steven Wright - 2.77 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 13 innings pitched
    3. Brian Johnson - 4.67 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, 27 innings pitched
    4. Jalen Beeks (AAA) - 2.74 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 49.1 innings pitched

My take: Our rotation depth is impressive. I think any of these four pitchers could take Pomeranz's spot if he continues to fail.

Pom has been absolutely terrible so far. Out of his seven starts, only one has had a game score above 50 (50 is considered an average start). If he bombs his next start, he should go on the phantom DL or be sent to the pen.

Everyone else has been fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

At least we have Velazquez and Wright to fill-in, if someone gets hurt or if Pom keeps going the way he has.

Legend
    To date the Red Sox starters rank second in the American League in fWAR:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ter=&players=0

Every Sox starter has a team winning record when they start.

Even with Pomeranz having an awful season, I am still very happy with the rotation thus far, and especially our fill in/long reliever guys. Wright and Velazquez have been great thus far, and if Pomeranz continues to suck, one of those guys can easily fill the void.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    To date the Red Sox starters rank second in the American League in fWAR:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ter=&players=0
    Wow it's crazy how good the Astros rotation is!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Everyone else has been fine.
    That said, let's see how Porcello does tonight. I'm starting to get worried about him.

Pom struggled out of the gate last year before being apgreat the rest of the way, but his time is running out. I say if he struggles against the Astros, put Wright or Velazquez (preferably Velazquez) in the rotation

Pom settled in, & did ok.

Not great! Struggled all night against a sub-par team, but got out of most jams without major damage....

Won't be good enough against the MIGHTY Yanks!

I have been extremely impressed by our starting pitching thus far this year, with the exception of Pomeranz.

Pomeranz’s velocity and movement have decreased this year and he could is getting hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I have been extremely impressed by our starting pitching thus far this year, with the exception of Pomeranz.

Pomeranz’s velocity and movement have decreased this year and he could is getting hit hard.
    I would move him to the bullpen. The hope is that he can develop into a one inning shutdown reliever, which is more valuable than a 5th starter who is learning how to pitch with decreased velocity.

Another solid outing from Porcello last night, very close to getting out of it with only 1 run in 7. Sale has not been his dominant self but I'm hardly worried, E Rod has shown really good signs. Guy I can't get a handle on is David Price. Just not sure what he will give you but as mentioned for a #3 he's fine. Stephen Wright is the wild card. He has been tremendous in long relief and was an all star last year. Perhaps he takes Pom's spot? Not sure how many more chances he's going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    Another solid outing from Porcello last night, very close to getting out of it with only 1 run in 7. Sale has not been his dominant self but I'm hardly worried, E Rod has shown really good signs. Guy I can't get a handle on is David Price. Just not sure what he will give you but as mentioned for a #3 he's fine. Stephen Wright is the wild card. He has been tremendous in long relief and was an all star last year. Perhaps he takes Pom's spot? Not sure how many more chances he's going to get.
    If I were Alex Cora and Pomeranz had to come out of the rotation, I'd be extremely torn as to whether Wright or Velazquez steps in. My gut says Velazquez, but that's because I don't trust knuckleballers.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    If I were Alex Cora and Pomeranz had to come out of the rotation, I'd be extremely torn as to whether Wright or Velazquez steps in. My gut says Velazquez, but that's because I don't trust knuckleballers.
    Velazquez hasn't looked that good lately. Wright probably gets the shot. If he fails, the next up should be Beeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")