Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rafael Devers struggles/triumphs and the future

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Devers is a 30-40HR bat in development. He is 21, so he has little time in the minors. We'll have to ride this out for the rest of the season.
    yup
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Legend
    Let's discuss regression.

To date Rafael Devers has posted a wRC+ of 79 and 0.2 fWAR in 232 plate appearances.

To date Yankee infielder Gleyber Torres, who is 50 days younger than Devers, has posted a wRC+ of 162 and 1.4 fWAR in 130 plate appearances.

ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Devers with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 101/1.3, 101/1.2 and 101/1.4, respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...50&position=3B

ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Torres with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 111/1.1, 99/1.1 and 105/1.5 , respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...97&position=2B

Despite vastly contrasting starts, Devers and Torres are projected with similar production the remainder of the season. The Red Sox and Yankees should be patient with their promising 21-year-olds.
    Last edited by harmony; 06-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Yes. Devers is raw. He is a raw young talent with serious pop. I hope we can afford to stick with him despite his growing pains.

For me, Devers is THE #1 potential hole in this lineup that 'could' really cost the Sox in a post season run. His D is also a potential pothole.

Ok . . . Also JBJ, Vaz, & 2nd base (if Pedey does not get fully healthy & return to form?)

These are simple facts. Another fact? The Sox have few options ... we are pretty much locked in to sticking with the kid. I hope he starts to figure things out.

Last 30 games..

112 13 22 5 8 8 31 0 .196 .250 .375

Pretty brutal !

5 hr's but only 8 rbi's & 31 SO's.

Ops of .625
    Last edited by Sox75; 06-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    If they're pitching around JD, why does he lead the league in dingers?
    Because he didn't have Devers behind him all season. Now he does and you saw what happened the other night. Man on 1st 2 out and first base open. Walk JD and get out of the inning by having Devers make the 3rd out.

That does not mean I am giving up on an immense talent that is all of 21, just stating the obvious. His slow start combined with his terrible defense is a real problem right now. I agree that bat may wake up but the defense I have my doubts about.
    Last edited by Yaz Fan Since '67; 06-02-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Devers needs to have the luxury of the Gleyber treatment. We have this kid batting 9th and aren't counting on him to glue our lineup together. Maybe Devers is having an issue with the pressure, who knows. The problem is, you team has developed holes the size of icebergs without any solid depth aside from Holt. Nunez has been a bust. The catching tandem has been crappy. Bradley hasn't been good. You don't have the luxury to park Devers in the 9 hole and let him figure it out
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Devers is a good hitter, just needs to have his old approach in the Minors. Going to LEFT. His Power is tremendous going that way. Ball get deeper in the hitting zone. He is battling whether to swing early, or take Pitches. Rookie. Needs to see it and hit it.

Screw this WRC + EMC2 = 2.3 Pie to the Right Angle of the Square Root.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Devers is a good hitter, just needs to have his old approach in the Minors. Going to LEFT. His Power is tremendous going that way. Ball get deeper in the hitting zone. He is battling whether to swing early, or take Pitches. Rookie. Needs to see it and hit it.

LOL I couldn't have said that any better myself!!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post

It would not be fair to simply report that Rafael Devers is hitting .230 and Gleyber Torres .325. Each is due for regression, but in opposite directions.

Next Jacko thread will likely be "What's wrong with Sale - should Sox trade him while he still has value?"

Devers will be fine. The Sox offense will be fine. Sale will be fine. The Red Sox will be fine.

Even if we get swept in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Next Jacko thread will likely be "What's wrong with Sale - should Sox trade him while he still has value?"
    I already addressed that.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    With Betts potentially out a couple weeks and your depth tested, the key hitter in your lineup is Devers. The kid was nails last year, but this year he isn’t hitting for power, average or OBP. His defense hasn’t been good, but that’s to be expected. If you’re to hang with NY, Devers has to step up over the next two weeks
    What a fucking troll thread.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Knowing you're an old BDC poster you must remember Jete02. He was an anomaly. A Yankees fan with class. His comments were about baseball and never intended to inflate the Yankees or degrade the Sox. Just good baseball talk.
    this Yankees fuck troll is no jete. That dude was an anomaly. Even I got along with him....
    other names i have posted under: none

So sensitive. Pointing out reality is trolling? I find this fascinating.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    What a fucking troll thread.
    What a terribly hurtful thing to say to someone who has already expressed sensitivity to what he considers our psychological "insecurities" (i.e., the fact that we do not suitably address his particular needs).