Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 IFA thread

All-Star

2018 IFA thread

Here's MLB's top 30... http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=int

Yankees reportedly have deals in place for Rodriguez a 15 year old Cuban who can touch 97 mph. Alcantara a CF with speed and awesome defense. Has been 100+ mph exit velo. Finally Antonio Gomez, following a trend that the Yankees have been doing, loading up on catching. A no doubt about it, catcher.

Oh and Larrondo, a RHP who sits low 90s and is labled an elite athlete.

I've read nothing about the Yankees agreeing with Rodriguez. I'd clearly love that, but I am not sure that is accurate. Alcantara and Gomez would continue the Yankees MO of guys playing premium positions plus a solid hit tool getting signed.
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I've read nothing about the Yankees agreeing with Rodriguez. I'd clearly love that, but I am not sure that is accurate. Alcantara and Gomez would continue the Yankees MO of guys playing premium positions plus a solid hit tool getting signed.
    NYYFans have it that BA is reporting it. I don't have BA so i cant' see it but their forum is talking about it.

All-Star
    Not much buzz surrounding the Red Sox in the international market this year that I can tell. The only top guy we've been connected to is outfielder Eduardo Lopez from the DR:

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55

Lopez is a switch-hitting center fielder with a good approach and a free and easy swing from both sides of the plate. He might be a better overall hitter from the left side of the plate, but he has more power from the right side. Like most teens his age, Lopez is working on improving pitch recognition, but he already has a good feel for the strike zone and shows good rhythm and timing in the batter's box.

The teenager is going to hit. Lopez has quick hands and has also shown glimpses of power in games, with the ball jumping off of his bat. More power could come as he develops. Overall, Lopez is viewed as a skilled prospect with emerging tools who has already shown improvement and increased strength in the past several months. On defense, he has shown good defensive actions with a playable arm. He's also been praised for his makeup.

Lopez is from Santiago, Dominican Republic, and trains with Aldo Marrero. The Red Sox are the favorite to sign him.
    http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=int

All-Star
    The Sox have gone back to running two DSL teams so you can be sure they will be very active this year. They will have a lot of spots to fill, so you can bet they'll nab a top guy or two (top 30).

One thing to remember is these are kids, and the further away from MLB you are the more uncertainty there is. That means there is more of a bust rate for the top 10 international guys than there might be for the top 10 college guys going in the draft. That also means guys who are unranked are more likely to become MLBers. When talking about 15/16 year old kids, it almost makes sense to go with QTY over QLTY.

They may be active, but they aren't hooked in with anyone as of yet. I wonder if they might be in on Victor Victor
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    They may be active, but they aren't hooked in with anyone as of yet. I wonder if they might be in on Victor Victor
    With the Caveat of having Penalties and restrictions for two years I can't remember the last time the Sox didn't nab at least 1 top tier July 2nd guy. Still, the Sox, like the Yanks have had a lot of success finding and developing international talent from all levels of talent.

Lopez is ranked 23rd. Some speculation desperate dave is saving powder for future moves.

Victor Victor Mesa turns 22 in July. My guess is he will sign this year. Whomever signs him will likely use their entire budget. I’m thinking the Sox are going after him

Rumor going around that 16 of the top 20 INTL FA's have tested positive for PED's
    Hal sucks

Rumor going around that 16 of the top 20 INTL FA's have tested positive for PED's
    Wow, perfect fits for the Yanks!

Manny and Papi say hi
    Hal sucks

Manny and Papi say hi
    That's 2 vs 200.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's 2 vs 200.
    Ironically I was making list to counter his statement and make this very point and I just gave up after about 40 names. I could have kept adding names for an hour but I was at work and decided I shouldn't be screwing around on the paper.

Thank you for putting it so simply. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Ironically I was making list to counter his statement and make this very point and I just gave up after about 40 names. I could have kept adding names for an hour but I was at work and decided I shouldn't be screwing around on the paper.

Thank you for putting it so simply. Brevity is the soul of wit.
    It's sometimes hard to spot irony in print.

Thanks for the insight.