Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: replay

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You want a robot for balls and strikes but you're OK with other blown calls?
    Yup. I think things like the neighborhood play should be legal. Robot ump doesn’t slow up the game the way replay does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Aw c’mon, I’m over the Larry Barnett call.

Okay, not really.
    Ok. Yeah. Me too. But isn't everyone entitled to a mulligan or two when it comes to their opinions?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yup. I think things like the neighborhood play should be legal. Robot ump doesn’t slow up the game the way replay does.
    You can be sure there would be some technical glitches with robot umps too. If something can get f'd up, it will.

Notify Youk. Something must be wrong with the board, as I agree entirely with everything said here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You can be sure there would be some technical glitches with robot umps too. If something can get f'd up, it will.
    That’s why they test it out in A ball.
    I get MV Pee.

Just say NO to instant replay and to robot umps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Just say NO to instant replay and to robot umps.
    Aren't those two separate issues? (unless, say, one rejects them on the basis of keeping the human element in the game).
    I don't care about the human element. All I want is for the game to proceed; I want to know the call immediately; and I want to get rid of arguing with officials, which is one of the most boring and annoying elements of sports (even though, of course, arguing pointlessly is pretty much what we do here all the time). Robot balls/strikes would do all three of those. Replay helps on one (idiotic arguing) at the expense of the other two. (We have to wait a minute or two to know whether we celebrate or despair). So I want all the robotic calls possible, and I want none of them to have the option of being challenged.

Ah, no matter what they do or don't do, there will always be plenty of fans beetching about something. It's one of the favorite pastimes of baseball fans, before, during and after games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Just say NO to instant replay and yes to robot umps.
    ftfy
    I get MV Pee.

If they are going to allow morons like CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez to umpire major league games, we need instant replay.

How about a robot manager ? They have chess computers that can beat the best grandmasters. Surely they can program a robot to manage better than what we see in MLB. And they wouldn't get upset if you second guessed their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    How about a robot manager ? They have chess computers that can beat the best grandmasters. Surely they can program a robot to manage better than what we see in MLB. And they wouldn't get upset if you second guessed their decisions.
    The most important part about managing is leading the team not setting lineups. Not sure a robot could do that.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    And then robot players. The initial capital outlay might be a little steep, but once they're built you just have to maintain them.

They wouldn't miss games with things like strained obliques. Best of all, no rest days necessary.

I'm a big fan of replay in every sport. They don't always get it right but they are pretty close. I'm willing to wait 2 minutes for that because getting it right is very important. Baseball replay is much faster than the NFL, who for some reason still can't seem to get a resolution in a timely manner.

Is it me or does it seem like 80% of the plays that have been reviewed this year have gone against the Sox? I can't remember one that ended up wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    I'm a big fan of replay in every sport. They don't always get it right but they are pretty close. I'm willing to wait 2 minutes for that because getting it right is very important. Baseball replay is much faster than the NFL, who for some reason still can't seem to get a resolution in a timely manner.

Is it me or does it seem like 80% of the plays that have been reviewed this year have gone against the Sox? I can't remember one that ended up wrong though.
    Speaking of the NFL replays, if MLB is going to continue with replays in baseball they've GOT to mic the crew chief so he can explain what they saw and why the call was made.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully