Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: replay

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The umps are almost always right on the plays on the bases. I am not a fan of the coming off the bases baloney on a slide. The weakness of the umpires that has the biggest impact on the game is balls and strikes and those are not subject to replay, so who needs replay.
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Aren't those two separate issues? (unless, say, one rejects them on the basis of keeping the human element in the game).
    I don't care about the human element. All I want is for the game to proceed; I want to know the call immediately; and I want to get rid of arguing with officials, which is one of the most boring and annoying elements of sports (even though, of course, arguing pointlessly is pretty much what we do here all the time). Robot balls/strikes would do all three of those. Replay helps on one (idiotic arguing) at the expense of the other two. (We have to wait a minute or two to know whether we celebrate or despair). So I want all the robotic calls possible, and I want none of them to have the option of being challenged.
    I see your point about why you would want robot umps but not replay. I can understand why people would be in favor of instant replay as well.

I'm just innately opposed to both. It's just not the way baseball was meant to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Tough to argue with that.
    How they have survived for so long is beyond me.
    The problem is not with having human umpires.

The problem is that they are not held accountable for the correctness or incorrectness of their calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

The problem is that they are not held accountable for the correctness or incorrectness of their calls.
    Accountability?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

They do get reviews from the league office.

But also bear in mind, a lot of what we think are the rules are solely umpire calls. For example, ask any amateur coach about what happens when a player making a taf drops the ball and he will tell you the runner is safe. That's not the rule. The rule is it becomes the umpires call if the runner is out or not. (Many umpires do use the guideline that the runner is safe when the ball is dropped during a tag, but the rule is that is it their call.)

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They do get reviews from the league office.

But also bear in mind, a lot of what we think are the rules are solely umpire calls. For example, ask any amateur coach about what happens when a player making a taf drops the ball and he will tell you the runner is safe. That's not the rule. The rule is it becomes the umpires call if the runner is out or not. (Many umpires do use the guideline that the runner is safe when the ball is dropped during a tag, but the rule is that is it their call.)
    I'm sure they do get reviews, but I don't think they're held to a very high standard. My understanding is that it's very difficult to fire a big league umpire, no matter how bad he is. Therein lies the problem.

I realize that there are some calls that are judgment calls on the part of the umpire. Something like the strike zone, however, should not be at the discretion of the umpire.