Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: replay

Deity

replay

Count me in as not a fan of instant replay as it is currently used. I realize that there has been importance placed on "getting it right" but I think that it is being overdone. I get it being used on the obvious but on the quick hitting bang bang plays, I like the concept of the human umpire element being used. Still a great game but I liked it better without the replay interruptions. Not to mention the fact that I always liked those pleasant little interactions between umpires and managers.

I would call it a necessary evil. It's a pain, but when you look at the number of calls by supposedly the best umps in the business that get overturned, it makes you realize how hard it is to get those calls right.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I would call it a necessary evil. It's a pain, but when you look at the number of calls by supposedly the best umps in the business that get overturned, it makes you realize how hard it is to get those calls right.
    I agree and I don't think that we are going back anytime soon but I think that by using reply to the extent that it is being used is taking something out of the game that I know I have always enjoyed.

'Necessary'? For what? There were blown calls before replay and baseball was fine. So was football and basketball. The only sport where replay has worked is tennis, where it doesn't slow up the action and it prevents a lot of b.s. arguments. I hate it. ANd I hate particularly the way it is used to micromanage plays: e.g., the worst case, when a player slides into a base and as he bumps over it, momentarily loses contact while still over the base. As Bob Costas noted, that play has been called safe for over a 100 years, and it's absurd to change it now. As for 'getting it right', who cares? The plays it is used to 'investigate' are bang/bang plays--essentially, coin flips. No one draws up a bunt to beat it out by a nano-second; no WR draws up his catch to tap both feet 1 mm inside the sideline. If you're trying to determine who the better team is, or who plays better that day, those calls are purely matters of chance, and all replay does is delay things. Alas, now that betting is becoming legal everywhere, I expect we'll just get more of it.

What is even more ridiculous is that sports do NOT use electronic aids where it would actually help and cause no delay: e.g., electronic calling of balls and strikes. Or spotting of the ball in football (where the linesman more or less eyeballs the spot, and then we have the elaborate ritual of bringing out the chains for a measurement).

I don't like having the manager tell the ump to hold on for a minute while we check the replay to see if we decide to challenge. If you want to challenge , do it immediately or keep the game moving.

What's happening is what I feared would happen when the replays started. In our desire to get everything "perfect" and "fair" we've taken away from the game.

I'm "on the fence" about replay. On the one hand I like it when I know that no team got an edge because of an umpire's blown call. OTOH I dislike the fact that technology is taking over sports.

In the bigger picture I have to wonder if we're putting too much emphasis on sports, especially at the professional level. Sports should not be life or death for any fan at any level. The sun is going to come up tomorrow regardless of who wins a game and yet I have friends who say they can't sleep after a Red Sox (or Patriots) loss.

Most of my experience is in having played and at the high school level but it's been my observation that players can walk off the field after a tough loss or a bad call and put it behind them while parents and fans can carry a negative memory for years after a loss.

It's a game. It's ok to be elated when you win or disappointed when you lose so is it really all that important that an umpire get every single call right?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

betting / vegas / bookies make it necessary.
    as for me? Robot Umps Now!
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don't like having the manager tell the ump to hold on for a minute while we check the replay to see if we decide to challenge. If you want to challenge , do it immediately or keep the game moving.
    Although this might actually save a bit of time by saving some challenges on plays that would clearly lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    betting / vegas / bookies make it necessary.
    And that may be a part of the problem.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    It's a game. It's ok to be elated when you win or disappointed when you lose so is it really all that important that an umpire get every single call right?
    Let's be honest, the outcomes of these games are very important to us.

And that may be a part of the problem.
    agreed. and it's only going to get worse now that sports gambling is being legalized across many states.
    other names i have posted under: none

What's happening is what I feared would happen when the replays started. In our desire to get everything "perfect" and "fair" we've taken away from the game.

I'm "on the fence" about replay. On the one hand I like it when I know that no team got an edge because of an umpire's blown call. OTOH I dislike the fact that technology is taking over sports.

In the bigger picture I have to wonder if we're putting too much emphasis on sports, especially at the professional level. Sports should not be life or death for any fan at any level. The sun is going to come up tomorrow regardless of who wins a game and yet I have friends who say they can't sleep after a Red Sox (or Patriots) loss.

Most of my experience is in having played and at the high school level but it's been my observation that players can walk off the field after a tough loss or a bad call and put it behind them while parents an fans can carry a negative memory for years after a loss.

Aw c’mon, I’m over the Larry Barnett call.

Okay, not really.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Replay stinks and it slows the game down. Robot ump for k zone and 4 umps for everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Replay stinks and it slows the game down. Robot ump for k zone and 4 umps for everything else.
    You want a robot for balls and strikes but you're OK with other blown calls?