Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Boston Red Sox Have a Depth Problem

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWhigg View Post
    We could use another outfielder. Benny, Mookie, and JD are our three best position players, and there's a massive drop in talent from them to the next outfielder up. Holt's been good, but he's historically suffered massive production drops when he's asked to be anything more than a bench player. And Swihart doesn't look like he'll do much of anything, at least this year
    Nunez aactually has better OF defense numbers than IF, but that knee is probably too questionable to try out there.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I feel the same way about the Seattle Mariners, who this week opened a stretch of 13 games against the Angels (3), Red Sox (7) and Yankees (3) before the M's close out a 10-game East Coast road trip with four games in Baltimore.

The Mariners could have lost all 17 games to drop to .500 but instead have beaten the Angels twice this week to move a half game up on the Astros and 6.5 games up on the Halos. The M's remain 2.5 games behind the Red Sox, whom they would meet in the Wild Card game if the season ended at this point (and if the Yankees took the AL East title by percentage points).

FanGraphs currently gives the Mariners a 67 percent chance of advancing to the postseason for the first time since 2001 (despite a projected sub-.500 record the remainder of the season):

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

We should have a better idea of where the Mariners stand at the end of the month.

BTW, I wish I could see the Red Sox play in Seattle this weekend but I'll be attending a family reunion in conjunction with my daughter's college graduation in California. I had hoped to see the Athletics host the Astros tomorrow afternoon but instead will attend yet another graduation celebration for my daughter. I still have hopes of seeing the Giants host the Marlins next Tuesday evening.
    I remember at least one writer was calling the M’s done without Cano. I couldn’t see it, not with that lineup. In fact, it was even a little insulting as a baseball fan in general. Gordon, Segura, Haniger, Cruz. One of the best SPs in MLB in Paxton, one of the top Closers too, in Diaz. Marco Gonzales doing very well... Theres a lot to like about that M’s team. Boston vs Seatle 7 out of our next 10 games... ? This could be the best week and a half of baseball yet this season.

Legend
    Just throwing this out there.
    Rusney Castillo stats in 4 years against LHP
    .298 2015
    .304 2016
    .395 2017
    .337 2018
    Sox are hitting .237 as a team against Lefties this year.
    .334 avg against Lefties, in 4 years, that not a small sample.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    .298 2015
    .304 2016
    .395 2017
    .337 2018
    He's not getting called up unless he hits .400.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    .298 2015
    .304 2016
    .395 2017
    .337 2018
    I think Rusney should have a future in MLB, but the Sox are not going to gamble on him this season given the potential penalties they would face from the luxury tax should they call him up.

Next season is still in play for Castillo, but he will be another year older and runs the risk of declining past the point of usefulness.

He is more likely to be nothing more than the highest paid player in the International League for a few more years. ..
    Last edited by notin; 06-14-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I remember at least one writLeakeys calling the M’s done without Cano. I couldn’t see it, not with that lineup. In fact, it was even a little insulting as a baseball fan in general. Gordon, Segura, Haniger, Cruz. One of the best SPs in MLB in Paxton, one of the top Closers too, in Diaz. Marco Gonzales doing very well... Theres a lot to like about that M’s team. Boston vs Seatle 7 out of our next 10 games... ? This could be the best week and a half of baseball yet this season.
    Haniger is quietly entering the MVP race. Mike Leake and Wade LeBlanc are quietly becoming very reliable starting pitchers, especially after a very slow star from Leake.
    Last edited by notin; 06-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.