Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: June 14 - Red Sox @ Mariners

June 14 - Red Sox @ Mariners

Mr Tingles vs The King

starting this thread early today because it's 2 first place teams going head-to-head for AL bragging rights so let the fun begin.

West coast trips always seem to be bad mojo. hopefully we can build off of sweeping the hapless Showalters and give the middle finger to jet lag.

Offense has been Meh lately but Betts is back. Starting pitching & RP has been awesome lately.
    Cheater Cano (a true Yankee) is on Timeout.

10pm starts are rough the next morning so make sure you set your coffee to "strong" tomorrow....

just cause: EFF showalter x 4
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Seattle has been the hottest team in MLB for the last Month, we got 7 games against them, in next 2 Weekends. Not the Orioles or White Sox. Legitimate good team.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-14-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Mariners on a 20-5 run with a just completed sweep of the useless Anaheim based team, including a walkoff HR from Haniger who has 52 rbi's. Long trip, Sox not real hot despite the sweep of the hapless Orioles. A split in Seattle would be a good outcome.

Deity
    Early start for a game thread is an unmitigated good.

On this date in 1775 the 2d continental congress created the Continental Army and ordered three states (MD, VA, and PA) to muster 10 companies (total, not each) of infantry and have them march to Boston to join the Army already there, some 22,000 strong. However, it did take another six years for the Continental Army and GW to finally defeat Cornwallis at Yorktown and win the darn thing, but still the lesson is--when it's a tough job, send those New England guys to get it done.

The Houston series worried me and I said I would be happy with a split. Same deal here. I do really think our guys are tough and said so right after they lost the first two in Yankee Stadium because they had a shot at winning both against a team that was going like a freight train. Now pretty close to our best lineup is healthy, and we will start four pretty good guys--Price, Porcello, ERod, and Wright.

I hope Cora doesn't have to use Kimbrel because it's so important that he get plenty of rest and Cora has a tendency to be, well, abusive. And toward one the the best closers in the history of MLB who is worth so much more than that $13M/year the Sox are doling out.

This evening I will attend the annual Congressional Baseball Game which started in 1909. Time for a little ecumenism (as hard as that will be for me). I plan to leave early but do sincerely like the idea of this game which these days is also a charity event.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-14-2018 at 01:21 PM.

i dont think MD, PA, or VA are NE states?
    Kimbrel is good to go...Cora didnt waste him in a 5 run lead game yesterday afternoon.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i dont think MD, PA, or VA are NE states?
    Kimbrel is good to go...Cora didnt waste him in a 5 run lead game yesterday afternoon.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    Moreover, Congress authorized the formation of ten companies of expert riflemen from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia, which were directed to march to Boston to support the New England militia.

I believe the militia and army being formed in NE were generally unskilled and in need of more experienced men which were brought from elsewhere. I don't think they were sending average joes from VA up to Boston willy nilly.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

It was also done to bring together people from all over to join the fight rather than have it be seen as a local rift.

The "expert riflemen" authorized on 14 June were the first units raised directly as Continentals. Congress intended to have the ten companies serve as a light infantry force for the Boston siege. At the same time it symbolically extended military participation beyond New England by allocating 6 of the companies to Pennsylvania, 2 to Maryland, and 2 to Virginia. Each company would have a captain, 3 lieutenants, 4 sergeants, 4 corporals, a drummer (or horn player), and 68 privates...

The inclusion of troops from outside New England gave a continental flavor to the army at Boston. A desire to broaden the base of support for the war also led John Adams to work for the appointment of a southerner as the commander of all the continental forces, raised, or to be raised, for the defense of American liberty...

Although sectional politics were involved in Washington's selection, in strictly military terms he was in fact the best-qualified native American. He had begun his military career in 1752 in the Virginia militia as one of four regional adjutants responsible for training. During the first phase of the French and Indian War, he served with gallantry as Edward Braddock's volunteer aide at the battle of the Monongahela, and later as the commander of Virginia's two Provincial regiments defending the colony's frontiers. In 1758 he commanded a brigade composed of Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania units on John Forbes' expedition against Fort Duquesne. Washington was the only American in that war to command so large a force. The experience of these years taught him the importance of discipline, marksmanship, and professional study.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Pretty tough ask to cross the country and play the same day. Be interesting to see how the team responds.

This is going to be a tough series, particularly playing on the west coast. Honestly, I will be happy with a split.

Price has been really good since he received the carpal tunnel diagnosis. We need that Price to show up tonight. It would be really nice to take the first game of the series.

WIN!!!

West Coast visits are never easy especially with how well this Seattle team is playing. Obviously if Price plays the way he has his last 5 starts we have a good chance to win this sucker. Hope we can manage at least a split against Seattle. Should be a good one.

Deity
    Good to see the regulars. I hope we stay somewhat positive. I think the consensus is that it’s a tough series, which helps.

Key Seattle Series

Looking like the Mariners are for real!

So nervous about this series, that I implore all Sox fans for take a road trip. Ok... so, you'll miss the first game, but it's worth the plane ride. You make tomorrow, Sat, & Sun.

I will be There!

Let's go Sox! See you there.

Wish I had the money and time to join you. Enjoy the series.

Deity
    The fucking skanks just took the lead. Is it too much to ask for this team to take 3 out of 4 from the mariners

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    Wish I had the money and time to join you. Enjoy the series.
    LOL :0 ok ok I'm driving up from Oregon tomorrow after work. Can't make it to Friday Night Game, so I was hoping you guys would fly out tonight to cover for me????