Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Red Sox Trade For?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I doubt we make any move that puts us over the maximum penalty limit ($2-3 M to go), but then again, the penalty is not really all that horrible as a 1 year thing.

Here are the best hitters vs LHPs since 2017 (100+ PAs) that may be available:

1.024 Adrian Beltre
    1.004 Jose Abreu
    .981 Avisail Garcia
    .973 Nick Castellanos
    .970 Josh Donaldson
    .934 Brian Dozier
    .927 Whit Merrifield
    .900 James McCann
    .889 Jonathon Schoop
    .871 Jorge Soler
    .863 Joey Votto

I doubt we have the pieces to get any of the above players, but maybe one from below is doable:

.914 Justin Smoak
    .899 Adam Duvall
    .887 Kendrys Morales
    .868 Ehire Adrianza
    .810 Todd Frazier

.756 Jed Lowrie is not what we need.
    Asdrubel Cabrera has a .864 OPS vs LHP in that same timeframe. He makes $8.2mill this year, which should be under $4mill at the deadline, and is on the books for $10.2mill for next year (including the buyout). The Mets are going nowhere fast. This makes him an upgrade over Nunez and his .647 OPS vs LHP...

How awesome is it that we don’t need to trade for a SP at the deadline? Pretty godamn awesome if you ask me. My guess is that we’re still waiting to see on Pedroia for 2B and Thornburg for the BP. Let’s assume both come back and the best case scenario happens and they’re both upgrades and stay healthy (long shot, I know), what would be our biggest weakness then? 1B offense? CF offense? Catcher Offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Yup ...I think he would sign with us after playing at Fenway and us fans .
    Devers is probably going to be better than Machado (or at least a similar player) and be considerably cheaper. Also, we couldn't sign Machado and stay under the luxury tax unless we got really creative with it. DD says he's going to try to stay below it

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Lowrie doesn't hit lefties well.
    Lowrie's hitting .305/.340/.432 against lefties this year with a 114 wRC+. He's a career .282/.346/.426 hitter with a 112 wRC+. That's pretty good! Not elite, but a lot better than what we currently have

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I honestly can't tell if you're being ironic or if you actually believe this. And I'm usually very good at making that distinction, even online. So well done, I guess?
    It’s a toss up. Natick is either bat-shit crazy or horse-shit crazy. But theres crazy in there somewhere, that we can be sure of.

Deity
    Not against a trade, but would remind everyone this is already a pretty good team as defined by winning record, nose to nose series with other contenders, team pitching and hitting stats.

Lowrie seems to get a lot of mention. He had a great April, a so-so May, and even worse June so far (OPS .613).

No worries ...I would expect a trade within 10 days for Machado
    Gosh it makes me so nervous to think about who they'd have to give up. Swihart for Machado I'd do

Wouldn't be too upset if they sat pat.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Gosh it makes me so nervous to think about who they'd have to give up. Swihart for Machado I'd do
    Jalen Beeks, Blake Swihart and the rights to "Sweet Caroline", of course. What else would you expect?

Legend
    Thornburg got hit pretty hard, against a pretty weak hitting team yesterday.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Teams that stand pat always get ripped by the media for doing so. And this means many fans will believe the team is wrong for doing nothing.

"What kind of message does this send to the players? That the FO thinks they're good enough and don't need any help? Yeah right!!"

2 months plus 10 years yes .
    10 years?

Now is when we need that GIF of me shuddering.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    How awesome is it that we don’t need to trade for a SP at the deadline? Pretty godamn awesome if you ask me. My guess is that we’re still waiting to see on Pedroia for 2B and Thornburg for the BP. Let’s assume both come back and the best case scenario happens and they’re both upgrades and stay healthy (long shot, I know), what would be our biggest weakness then? 1B offense? CF offense? Catcher Offense?
    IMO, this team does not really have a weakness that needs to be addressed, provided the team stays healthy. If Pedroia cannot return, I would look to upgrade at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Nor would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, this team does not really have a weakness that needs to be addressed, provided the team stays healthy. If Pedroia cannot return, I would look to upgrade at 2B.
    i actually think 2b is our weakness. specifically 2b defense. DD needs to upgrade here. Pedroia IMO is not going to contribute this year. and we have a good shot at making the postseason so should be all in on 2018.
    other names i have posted under: none