Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 106 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Red Sox Trade For?

Who Should the Red Sox Trade For?

https://redsoxunfiltered.com/2018/06...trade-targets/

We've been absolutely awful against lefty pitching, and that should be the first thing we address in any trade. There's a few good players out there that should be available though, and I'd love a Lowrie reunion.

I doubt we make any move that puts us over the maximum penalty limit ($2-3 M to go), but then again, the penalty is not really all that horrible as a 1 year thing.

Here are the best hitters vs LHPs since 2017 (100+ PAs) that may be available:

1.024 Adrian Beltre
    1.004 Jose Abreu
    .981 Avisail Garcia
    .973 Nick Castellanos
    .970 Josh Donaldson
    .934 Brian Dozier
    .927 Whit Merrifield
    .900 James McCann
    .889 Jonathon Schoop
    .871 Jorge Soler
    .863 Joey Votto

I doubt we have the pieces to get any of the above players, but maybe one from below is doable:

.914 Justin Smoak
    .899 Adam Duvall
    .887 Kendrys Morales
    .868 Ehire Adrianza
    .810 Todd Frazier

.756 Jed Lowrie is not what we need.

I think the Sox will pry Beltre from the Rangers. Beltre is a 10 and 5 guy, so he’d have to play it, but he owes Boston something for reviving his career and getting him that second big contract. At the same time, the Rangers are rebuilding and keeping him around makes no sense. Beltre will be in demand, though, as he’s still managed to hit despite his body betraying him a bit. He’s an FA at season’s end, which will allow for Devers to resume his spot.

I could see a Sox dream scenario where Beltre comes in, Devers goes to AAA and kills it. He comes back up as a 1B/3B/DH option with Beltre manning 3b mostly full time. If Devers is going, and Beltre comes in as a steady presence, the lineup of...

Betts RF
    Beni CF
    JDM LF
    Beltre 3B
    Moreland 1B
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers DH
    Holt 2B
    Vasquez C

That lineup is deep, especially if a trip to AAA gets Devers hitting like the all star he is destined to become. What would it take to get Beltre? Probably a fair amount. I’d assume Houck, Groome, Mata, or Beeks would be a headliner with a secondary piece also going like Shawaryn. But that’d be a heck of a get for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think the Sox will pry Beltre from the Rangers. Beltre is a 10 and 5 guy, so he’d have to play it, but he owes Boston something for reviving his career and getting him that second big contract. At the same time, the Rangers are rebuilding and keeping him around makes no sense. Beltre will be in demand, though, as he’s still managed to hit despite his body betraying him a bit. He’s an FA at season’s end, which will allow for Devers to resume his spot.

I could see a Sox dream scenario where Beltre comes in, Devers goes to AAA and kills it. He comes back up as a 1B/3B/DH option with Beltre manning 3b mostly full time. If Devers is going, and Beltre comes in as a steady presence, the lineup of...

Betts RF
    Beni CF
    JDM LF
    Beltre 3B
    Moreland 1B
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers DH
    Holt 2B
    Vasquez C

That lineup is deep, especially if a trip to AAA gets Devers hitting like the all star he is destined to become. What would it take to get Beltre? Probably a fair amount. I’d assume Houck, Groome, Mata, or Beeks would be a headliner with a secondary piece also going like Shawaryn. But that’d be a heck of a get for you guys
    Devers does not match up well with Moreland at 1B, but Devers at DH could happen for a few months anyways. He'd still get to play some 3B.

I doubt Devers gets sent to AAA, if we trade for Beltre. We'd just trade or DFA Swihart.

If JBJ has a hot streak, we could see him and Swihart traded to make room for Beltre and keep devers in the line-up, primarily as a DH.

Our OF defense would be weakened, but our 3B defense would be strengthened.

And your lineup will be lengthened. Devers needs work on his approach. He’s jumpy and that’s not him. This is what young players do when they struggle, especially a guy who never struggled in the minors. Sometimes it’s best to have struggled and overcome at a lower level than it is to first struggle as a big leaguer. I think a month in AAA could do him wonders.

And yes, it significantly worsens Your OF defense, but the bottom half of the lineup is atrocious. Eventually, playoff teams will not pitch to JDM and your offense will stagnate more. Lengthening the offense with a proven hitter and giving the kid a breather to adjust could turn your offense from stalled to supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And your lineup will be lengthened. Devers needs work on his approach. He’s jumpy and that’s not him. This is what young players do when they struggle, especially a guy who never struggled in the minors. Sometimes it’s best to have struggled and overcome at a lower level than it is to first struggle as a big leaguer. I think a month in AAA could do him wonders.

And yes, it significantly worsens Your OF defense, but the bottom half of the lineup is atrocious. Eventually, playoff teams will not pitch to JDM and your offense will stagnate more. Lengthening the offense with a proven hitter and giving the kid a breather to adjust could turn your offense from stalled to supercharged
    As I recall, Devers did struggle for a few weeks here and there on the farm, and he did have a long stretch to start the 2016 in Salem. he was at .635 after 63 games. He was at .686 after 72 games.

A reliever or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    A reliever or two.
    You’ve got the capital to make one upgrade. It’s just as important that you’re right against the cap as it is your farm being depleted.

One thing we do know was that Denard Span (and Colome) were available earlier. Span could have been in LF, Beni in CF and Mookie stays in right. JBJr--- he was last seen going to a pitching machine for bunting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Span could have been in LF, Beni in CF and Mookie stays in right.
    No thanks to the .690 career vs LHPs OF'er.

We don't have the resources to make a deal for someone who doesn't address our biggest current need... hitting vs lefties.

We are not really sure what our biggest need will be at the deadline, so I think we'd be better off waiting on Pedey and see what we need in July.

No thanks to the .690 career vs LHPs OF'er.

We don't have the resources to make a deal for someone who doesn't address our biggest current need... hitting vs lefties.

We are not really sure what our biggest need will be at the deadline, so I think we'd be better off waiting on Pedey and see what we need in July.
    Even when Pedey comes back, I'm not sure how much you can rely on him staying back. His body has been through hell, and he deserves all the credit in the world for doing all he does to get in the lineup. However, I think you need to find a second base option that's capable of hitting lefties and being a day to day starter. Presumably, Castro would cost too much to acquire, so to me Lowrie is the best option

Legend
    Devers does not match up well with Moreland at 1B, but Devers at DH could happen for a few months anyways. He'd still get to play some 3B.

I doubt Devers gets sent to AAA, if we trade for Beltre. We'd just trade or DFA Swihart.

If JBJ has a hot streak, we could see him and Swihart traded to make room for Beltre and keep devers in the line-up, primarily as a DH.

Our OF defense would be weakened, but our 3B defense would be strengthened.
    The Blue Jays are reeling. Why not try to get Kevin Pillar as an upgrade over JBJ. His full season salary is $3.5 mil, he is similar defensively to JBJ but hit 50 points higher in BA and has a *1.5 WAR. He is 29 years old so would fit the team for a number of years. No need to move Beni. Beltre is 38 years old and has been a great player but expecting him to contribute as more than a part time player is optimistic. I would move Swihart as he is showing no real promise.

Machado for Devers and a double A raffle ticket .

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Machado for Devers and a double A raffle ticket .
    Absolutely not. Devers is gonna be a beast with five years of team control, and he’s already getting better. Machado is a one month rental

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWhigg View Post
    Absolutely not. Devers is gonna be a beast with five years of team control, and he’s already getting better. Machado is a one month rental
    Yeah ....ill take Machado .