Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Red Sox Trade For?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Jalen Beeks, Blake Swihart and the rights to "Sweet Caroline", of course. What else would you expect?
    I actually cringe at the thought of losing Jalen Beeks for a short-term rental like Machado. Yes his MLB debut wasn't very good; I think he was over-throwing and nervous. But I think he's going to be a quality pitcher in the years to come.

Legend
    I think our outstanding weakness is our offense v LHP. The rest of our team is fine aside from that. I Beltre would be a nice addition and contrary to what Jacko thinks, an elderly FA to be can probably be had on the cheap, relatively speaking. Then we could return Devers to AAA, which is where he belongs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    So? We need an upgrade for 2B from Nunez.
    I'm waiting on Pedey, but right now, our biggest issue is hitting lefties not 2b. Nunez and holt can bridge us to Pedey or the deadline.

If we need a 2bman at the deadline, I'd look for one who kills lefties.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Wouldn't be too upset if they sat pat.
    Exactly. I'm not against tweaking, but absolutely do not buy the general gloom and doom of this thread.

Legend
    Rusney Castillo started out as a 2nd baseman, and he kills Lefties. For Cuba he was the starting 2nd Baseman in the WBC. Its only money. Wont happen though.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Yanks in on Happ per rotoworld
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I actually cringe at the thought of losing Jalen Beeks for a short-term rental like Machado. Yes his MLB debut wasn't very good; I think he was over-throwing and nervous. But I think he's going to be a quality pitcher in the years to come.
    I don't.

I think he is Henry Owens 2.0, with the new "less hype" feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yanks in on Happ per rotoworld
    Yawn. Does anyone on this Red Sox board care?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Rusney Castillo started out as a 2nd baseman, and he kills Lefties. For Cuba he was the starting 2nd Baseman in the WBC. Its only money. Wont happen though.
    Since he certainly seems about worth his contract now, why isn't he traded?? If we can't afford to bring back another contract in exchange, why not get a couple of prospects for him?

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Since he certainly seems about worth his contract now, why isn't he traded?? If we can't afford to bring back another contract in exchange, why not get a couple of prospects for him?
    I think you question pinpoints his value

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Thornburg got hit pretty hard, against a pretty weak hitting team yesterday.
    I watched him throw and was really disappointed. His pitches had no movement and got a lot of the white part of the plate.

But on the bright side, it looks like yesterday, he just did not have it. For whatever reason. A couple of adjustments and better location and maybe he can contribute this year.

Only player that can put this team over the hump is the only player we should explore ....The player is Machado and the cost maybe Devers ....at his best Devers would be what ? an All star third baseman ??? No ....a good DH ? Yea but on the Papi level??? No ....Cruz level ? Yeah maybe ? ....is he a better player ever than Mchado ? No ...will he catch fire and get us over the hump ? Doubtful at best ...will he ever ??? Maybe ??? Can Machado deliver a championship caliber at bats ??? I think so ....yeah I'm all in this year Dave..
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 06-18-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Only player that can put this team over the hump is the only player we should explore ....The player is Machado and the cost maybe Devers ....at his best Devers would be what ? an All star third baseman ??? No ....a good DH ? Yea but on the Papi level??? No ....Cruz level ? Yeah maybe ? ....is he a better player ever than Mchado ? No ...will he catch fire and get us over the hump ? Doubtful at best ...will he ever ??? Maybe ??? Can Machado deliver a championship caliber at bats ??? I think so ....yeah I'm all in this year Dave
    Devers would be the youngest position player in SALEM. He is younger than a significant chunk of the 2018 draft class. And he has played a bit better lately. It would be a huge overpay for half a season of even someone Machado's skill level.

Deity
    I would not give up Devers for Machado either. Devers is just young. He is not a terrible player. He is probably not even a terrible fielder once he learns how to field. At the same time, I would agree that a Machado or a player very close to a Machado would be a most needed and most significant improvement...enough to make this team a true post season contender. They are at least an everyday player short no matter how you slice it. As much as I would like more relief help our pen might be OK or at least something we can supplement successfully at little cost in anything but money. A real everyday player that can actually help this team....that is a whole nuther' story. Where we are "lucky" is that through a Machado would be as good as it gets for this team for a third of a season and post season run, we could use help at 1st and maybe even 2nd depending on what is really happening with Pedey. So really only OF and Short and Catcher are set for this team. That leaves three positions with which to work to bring in an upgrade with Machado being perfect. If there is a real shame here it might be that we were not prepared to try to capture Moose at the money he was able to command even for just one season. We are an everyday player short.

I could be swayed to trading Devers for Machado if Machado came packaged up with more than 2018 in a Sox uni. But would not do Devers just for the remainder of Machado for 2018. Machado would have to come with a WS trophy or at least a WS appearance sticking out of his back pocket for me to be OK with that.
    Last edited by jung; 06-18-2018 at 04:10 PM.

....I really think it's about a World Series title right ? Raffy Devers vs Machado this year who gives us the better D and offense for that push ? I think it's Machado and I'd make the trade today .Go all in Dave it's time .