Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 6/17 @ Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It depends on what Hanley we're talking about. I would take the April Hanley over Kimbrel.
    We know "what" Kimbrel we have every month.

I've noticed other teams have made a big rush to sign Hanley, even though he's almost free.

Deity
    Well, that's my point. This was a financial decision to benefit next season, not a baseball move to benefit this season.
    We all agree on next season. But I honestly think there is an upside this year too. Our best DH by far is JDM, and our best 1B is Moreland. That's why I think this move--DFA early--was inevitable. I do think they were willing to give HanRam a little more rope just in case they were wrong and could still use him, but the feeling was it was time for him to go.

About finances. Let's not forget that a big chunk of what they save in 2019 they have to pay out in 2018. That is, the Sox will pay Hanley this year wherever he goes, just like Pablo who is currently playing for the San Francisco. In Hanley's case, he is own his own next year, but right now he is a dead loss. This is no doubt why you and others are unhappy wit this move. Why give up a paid-for bat that can maybe help?

Just maybe, however, the injured shoulder theory is true. If so, it's smart to let him go and equally smart by others not to scoop him up.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.

It's kind of funny to me that only 2 or 3 posters have an issue with us DFA'ing HRam, when the numbers show that letting Pablo go might have been a bigger mistake.

2018:

OPS
    .882 Moreland
    .798 Pablo
    .708 HRam
    .705 Devers

2018 vs LHPs
    .854 HRam
    .728 Moreland
    .585 Pablo
    .559 Devers

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's kind of funny to me that only 2 or 3 posters have an issue with us DFA'ing HRam, when the numbers show that letting Pablo go might have been a bigger mistake.

2018:

OPS
    .882 Moreland
    .798 Pablo
    .708 HRam
    .705 Devers

2018 vs LHPs
    .854 HRam
    .728 Moreland
    .585 Pablo
    .559 Devers

How about 2017 from the time we cut Pablo?

Deity
    Ahem. time for the next game thread to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    How about 2017 from the time we cut Pablo?
    How about it?

He was .638 with SF last year. He's got 11 HRs and 45 RBI in his 315 PAs in his second stint with the Giants.

.710 OPS.

(Pablo is .757 in his last 365 days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    We all agree on next season. But I honestly think there is an upside this year too. Our best DH by far is JDM, and our best 1B is Moreland. That's why I think this move--DFA early--was inevitable. I do think they were willing to give HanRam a little more rope just in case they were wrong and could still use him, but the feeling was it was time for him to go.

About finances. Let's not forget that a big chunk of what they save in 2019 they have to pay out in 2018. That is, the Sox will pay Hanley this year wherever he goes, just like Pablo who is currently playing for the San Francisco. In Hanley's case, he is own his own next year, but right now he is a dead loss. This is no doubt why you and others are unhappy wit this move. Why give up a paid-for bat that can maybe help?

Just maybe, however, the injured shoulder theory is true. If so, it's smart to let him go and equally smart by others not to scoop him up.
    JD's best position is at DH, but he wants to play the field and Cora has been playing him in the field often enough. Moreland is best used as a platoon player. There were plenty of at bats to go around and keep everyone happy (except for Swihart, apparently). At any rate, I get all of the logic behind the DFA. I just don't agree with it, in particular, so soon in the season.

How about it?

He was .638 with SF last year. He's got 11 HRs and 45 RBI in his 315 PAs in his second stint with the Giants.

.710 OPS.

(Pablo is .757 in his last 365 days.)
    I don't think there's any reason to look back.

We'll never know what he would have done had he stayed with us but I'm skeptical it would have been good.

I suspect he's quite a bit more relaxed where he is now. There's not the same kind of pressure because he's a virtual freebie for the Giants and whatever he gives them is like a bonus. We're paying the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to look back.

We'll never know what he would have done had he stayed with us but I'm skeptical it would have been good.

I suspect he's quite a bit more relaxed where he is now. There's not the same kind of pressure because he's a virtual freebie for the Giants and whatever he gives them is like a bonus. We're paying the bill.
    Of course, there isn't.

I was mocking the folly of missing HRam.

Of course, there isn't.

Oh.

Of course, there isn't.

There is no folly in disagreeing with the move of DFAing Hanley in May.

There is no folly in disagreeing with the move of DFAing Hanley in May.
    Folly is in the eye of the beholder.

Where’s the new game day thread?

Deity
    Great opportunity for a road sweep coming up in Minnesota. Our rotation set up to succeed in the three games in Minnesota. We face three straight ho-hum RH pitchers which gives our hitters the best chance to succeed.

Gibson might be the toughest of the three if his sinker is working. Even with that....we have a real shot at winning three straight in Minnesota.