Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 6/19 @ Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think MLB players need to be good at putting bad games behind them because the season is an unbelievable grind. I also think they all love to win and don't like losing at all. After a bad loss like this one, our guys need to focus on the next game.

Excellent point
    other names i have posted under: none

I stopped watching around the 7th last night both because of the lateness of the hour and because of an ominous feeling I had that this was going to be one of those games that this year and last happen mostly to Chris Sale.

Natick to NC is once again dead wrong blaming last night on the bottom part of the order when they got half the hits and all of the rbi's.

I also disagree with the tiredness factor because Monday was a day off and they had over 48 hours between games.

Relatedly, there was a discussion somewhere about overusing poor Kimbrel, who as of right now hasn't pitched since last Thursday. Last night would have been a perfect game for him to get a two inning save except that 1) the game was tied, so no lead; 2) Kimbrel doesn't do windows.
    There was no reason to try and use Kimbrel for 2 innings. One he has shown that for whatever reason, he’s just not that good at it (we can debate why ad nauseum).

But Kelly has been used and been fantastic in that situation all year. There have been a couple times he’s failed but that happens. The questionable move did not involve Kimbrel in any way, shape or form. It was (and I questioned it before or as Scott threw his first pitch) why Scott instead of Kelly? In retrospect, Kelly didn’t have it either so it probably wouldn’t have mattered.

As for tired, the team just looked out of it last night. Weak swings, etc. They looked bad Saturday but that was a case of a pitcher just absolutely at his best. Lots of chances last night and hittable pitches in many cases. You can think the travel has nothing to do with it but this type of road trip is very taxing. 3 different time zones with never more than a few days in any one and crossing a total of 5 going back and forth. It is a factor.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    When checking out a Boxscore for the game, just move right into where it says Team in RISP, fast way if team did good on Offense that night. Much faster. 2-13 last night. Easy to see where they failed to score runs.
    There is a reason this stat has been in the Boxscore for years.
    The good news is that the Sox had a lot of baserunners. I know it's frustrating when we can't seem to get the big hit, but generally, if you generate baserunners, you generate runs.

Meh. I think MLB players need to be good at putting bad games behind them because the season is an unbelievable grind. I also think they all love to win and don't like losing at all. After a bad loss like this one, our guys need to focus on the next game.

We, on the other hand, have TS on which to unload some of that anger.
    The great thing about baseball is that there is usually a game the next day so we don't have to stew over a loss for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    There was no reason to try and use Kimbrel for 2 innings. One he has shown that for whatever reason, he’s just not that good at it (we can debate why ad nauseum).

But Kelly has been used and been fantastic in that situation all year. There have been a couple times he’s failed but that happens. The questionable move did not involve Kimbrel in any way, shape or form. It was (and I questioned it before or as Scott threw his first pitch) why Scott instead of Kelly? In retrospect, Kelly didn’t have it either so it probably wouldn’t have mattered.

As for tired, the team just looked out of it last night. Weak swings, etc. They looked bad Saturday but that was a case of a pitcher just absolutely at his best. Lots of chances last night and hittable pitches in many cases. You can think the travel has nothing to do with it but this type of road trip is very taxing. 3 different time zones with never more than a few days in any one and crossing a total of 5 going back and forth. It is a factor.
    I fully endorse this post.

The Sox have now lost 4 of their last 5 games against the AL Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Sox have now lost 4 of their last 5 games against the AL Central.
    Nunez, JBJ, Swihart, Vazquez, Leon are the type of players those teams would employed. We have to find upgrades to two of those positions at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Nunez, JBJ, Swihart, Vazquez, Leon are the type of players those teams would employed. We have to find upgrades to two of those positions at the minimum.
    Red Sox:

29th in WAR for C
    26th in WAR for 2b
    24th in WAR for 3b
    5th in WAR for CF
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Red Sox:

5th in WAR for CF
    JBJ's WAR is 0.2, so that must be coming from Beni's games in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    JBJ's WAR is 0.2, so that must be coming from Beni's games in CF.
    Still counts!

Legend
    Top 5 in AL or Majors? Who's the top 10? Thanks. ESPN has JBJ at 0.0 in WAR. You are correct 0.2 in WAR
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/battin...n/cf/league/al
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Top 5 in AL or Majors? Who's the top 10? Thanks. ESPN has JBJ at 0.0 in WAR. You are correct 0.2 in WAR
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/battin...n/cf/league/al
    MLB son!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    im sure max will come in and tell us cora managed this game to perfection, even though 99% of the site called scott coming in stupid before he even did anything bad.
    Actually, if you read the posts starting on page 12, you will see pretty balanced comments before disaster struck. Scott is both experienced and good vs. lefty bats.

And let's not forget that disaster actually struck with Kelly in the game. When he went in, there was already 1 out with men on 1st and 2d, a situation which he has faced before--this year--and done well. No runs had scored.

@PeteAbe

#RedSox working with Eduardo Nunez on tag plays at 2B. Carlos Febles is hitting him one-hop groundballs to simulate throws. Pedroia is talking to him, too.