Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I agree with you that neither team NEEDS to make a trade.

IMO, which I fully admit might be clouded by Jacko-like bias, is that the Sox are good to go as is, even for the playoff run. That's provided that they stay healthy, of course. I could see adding a reliever. I can understand why people think we need an upgrade at 2B, but I think we're fine there. I completely disagree with you about the Sox needing a catcher.

I really think the Yankees' need for a starter is greater than any of our needs, with the word 'need' being used lightly. Both teams would make the playoffs even if they stand pat.
    I endorse this post.

I think reliever and spot starting help can be had from AAA and AA. Second base is not ideal . But the Sox can live with the combo of Holt - Nunez. Our bench is weak after that as Swi has not shown much. Not that it is entirely his fault with such limited playing time.

Catcher remains a strength. Especially now that both Vasquez and Leon appear to be getting better wood on the ball. If anything, the Yankees have a weakness at catcher.

Especially now with Sanchez out. Looks like the Yankees will have to resort to a glove first type behind the plate. Which, ironically, is a defensive upgrade at the position.

Still a long way to go this season.

Health will likely be a determining factor in this race.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    oh yeah? bird is a huge + defensively? didnt realize that......
    1b is a 9 hitter slot? didn't realize that.....
    1b is a no power slot? didn't realize that.....

good comparison using JBj......
    None of those things negate what I said. Despite his shitty offensive production the Red Sox continued to run JBJ out there because there was an expectation that he'd improve at the plate (and he has lately). If all they were looking for is a defensive CF then you can bet your ass they'd find someone who didn't cost $6M. If the comparison is lost on you then oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    None of those things negate what I said. Despite his shitty offensive production the Red Sox continued to run JBJ out there because there was an expectation that he'd improve at the plate (and he has lately). If all they were looking for is a defensive CF then you can bet your ass they'd find someone who didn't cost $6M. If the comparison is lost on you then oh well.
    I get your point, but there was a strong reason for us to expect JBJ to get hot: he's done it 3 years in a row (maybe 4, if this is truly a hot streak we are seeing now).

Why is there a strong expectation for Bird to not only get hot, but to improve to a level point expected of 1Bmen?

What is his history?

2014: .869 in A+/AA
    2015: .871 OPS in just 178 PAs (.825 in AA/AAA)
    2016: .700 in fall league (78 PAs)
    2017: .710 OPS in just 170 PAs (.99a in AA/A+)

His minor league numbers look very nice, despite just 54 HRs in 1628 PAs.

There are oddles and oodles of players who did great on the farm and ended up at below .770 in the bigs (his current career OPS) or .690 (his current OPS). Bird has a very limited window of ML success and that was way back in 2015 (46 games).

Looks like apples and oranges in many ways, but yes, both JBJ and Bird had fans hoping they'd improve.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    A need for a starter would be much higher if there was a fight to make the playoffs. The Sox and Yanks are making the playoffs. The idea of a new starter isn’t born out in the stats, though. Our rotation has been every bit as good as yours. Our pen has been better. Your offense has been a touch better on the whole. There’s no real singular upgrade on our side that needs to happen. Either the guys we have play well or they don’t. On your side, there are clear spots of upgrade. 2b and CF are clear spots of upgrade. 3b and C are possible spots
    We have spots where we can upgrade, and yet we are doing every bit as well as the Yankees. In other words, we have no real areas of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I endorse this post.

I think reliever and spot starting help can be had from AAA and AA. Second base is not ideal . But the Sox can live with the combo of Holt - Nunez. Our bench is weak after that as Swi has not shown much. Not that it is entirely his fault with such limited playing time.

Catcher remains a strength. Especially now that both Vasquez and Leon appear to be getting better wood on the ball. If anything, the Yankees have a weakness at catcher.

Especially now with Sanchez out. Looks like the Yankees will have to resort to a glove first type behind the plate. Which, ironically, is a defensive upgrade at the position.

Still a long way to go this season.

Health will likely be a determining factor in this race.
    I'm with you Spud.

As long as our team stays relatively healthy, we are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I get your point, but there was a strong reason for us to expect JBJ to get hot: he's done it 3 years in a row (maybe 4, if this is truly a hot streak we are seeing now).

Why is there a strong expectation for Bird to not only get hot, but to improve to a level point expected of 1Bmen?

What is his history?

2014: .869 in A+/AA
    2015: .871 OPS in just 178 PAs (.825 in AA/AAA)
    2016: .700 in fall league (78 PAs)
    2017: .710 OPS in just 170 PAs (.99a in AA/A+)

His minor league numbers look very nice, despite just 54 HRs in 1628 PAs.

There are oddles and oodles of players who did great on the farm and ended up at below .770 in the bigs (his current career OPS) or .690 (his current OPS). Bird has a very limited window of ML success and that was way back in 2015 (46 games).

Looks like apples and oranges in many ways, but yes, both JBJ and Bird had fans hoping they'd improve.

Had Bird come back in the 2nd half of last season and sucked I would agree with you. But we only need to look back to after the 2017 ASB (when Bird was finally playing without any injury) to see Bird's upside:

Aug - Oct 2017: .253/.316/.575/.891

I'm not advocating Bird as the next great Yankee. But you don't have to look THAT hard to see that he could be end up as a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Had Bird come back in the 2nd half of last season and sucked I would agree with you. But we only need to look back to after the 2017 ASB (when Bird was finally playing without any injury) to see Bird's upside:

Aug - Oct 2017: .253/.316/.575/.891

I'm not advocating Bird as the next great Yankee. But you don't have to look THAT hard to see that he could be end up as a good player.
    I'm not arguing against Bird's upside potential. His minor league numbers show a lot of promise. His brief time in 2015 showed promise.

My point was that JBJ had proven numerous times that he can put together long and good enough streaks to get his seasonal numbers to respectability. Bird has never played even close to a full MLB season. All bets are off. We can't "expect" anything.

Bird showed some upside tonight, now didn't he?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Bird showed some upside tonight, now didn't he?
    I said that same word myself, "potential."

Legend
    Minaya a crazy but I feel a good GM. He built that Pitching staff for the Mets. I could see him talking to the Yanks about a deal for a couple of their Top Pitching Prospects, and a Major leaguer. Torres?
    I could see a Blockbuster coming between these two. Minaya holds no grudges, he will deal if it helps the Mets.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Bird must have read this thread before the game

Would you guys prefer they sign Happ or Hamels?

I think Happ makes more sense, He’s having the better season, he’s always had success against the Red Sox and he won’t cost multiple top prospects because he’ll be a free agent at season’s end.
    Last edited by Divinity; 06-30-2018 at 11:47 AM.

I want nothing to do with Hamels. His ERA is deceiving. His FIP is over 5.
    Hal sucks

Happ hasn’t been great of late as well. We have a top 3 that can rival anyone sans Houston (nobody will rival them no matter what we do). We’ve got a ton of talent and right now have Loiasiga going well and German going so-so. Sheff is lighting it up in AAA as well. I’d look at dealing off Gray plus for another pitcher of consequence, but getting a #4 for playoff time isn’t really all that intriguing.

Call me crazy, but I like Wheeler

I love deGrom but his cost will be crazy, I don't see Cashman paying the price for him or Thor