Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Trade Rumors

Hybrid View

Yankees Trade Rumors

Ever since the beginning of the year, we heard about how NY needs a starting pitcher. When JMont went down, it became ever more deafening. That being said, a supposed weakness is actually a strength.

Our rotation, even with 2 rookies in there and a struggling Sonny Gray, is fourth in starters ERA in the AL. We’re only 0.06 away from the “vaunted” Sox rotation. Our June ERA as a staff is far and away the #1 in the AL. Our team ERA for June is 2.35, with the second lowest being Cleveland at 3.10. While an addition on the starting front seems logical when looking at the cast of character, the numbers don’t bear it out.

Now, we aren’t without our warts, but I’m not sure the warts we have will be fixed by any trades. We’re 17-8 in June. We’ve got the best ERA in the AL in June, and it ain’t close. But our hitting has fallen off. We’re only 9th in the AL in scoring. There’s not much we can do to upgrade that except maybe upgrade over Bird. Our 1b spot has been a graveyard beyond a hot month from Austin. Maybe that’s where we look?

So for trade targets, the sexy idea is to get DeGrom or Thor, but I am not sure either will be able to fix what ails is. We need our offense to start pitching up the slack. Tanaka should be back soon. But we will see which way Cash goes. He’s stated that the pitching market is where he’s looking. I’m sure we’ll get someone

J. A. Happ seems like a plausible target.

yankees dont need to do a thing. they are the best team ever.
    best gm
    best owner
    best stadium
    best players
    best starting pitchers
    best relief pitchers
    best closer
    best utility players
    best batboy
    best beer vendors
    best defensive outfield
    best 2 strike hitters
    best bullpen catcher
    best team plane
    best manager
    best clubhouse attendant

no trades are necessary. what's the word on the yankees forums?
    other names i have posted under: none

Oddly enough, the Yankees have bigger trade needs than the Red Sox do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    i dont find it odd at all.
    Red Sox > Yankees
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i dont find it odd at all.
    Red Sox > Yankees
    I stand corrected.

Not sure I agree with that. We could use one starter.. And it's not a great need since you only need 4 starters in the playoffs. The Sox could use an upgraded 2b, C, and reliever. Both teams would be on pace to win 100+ games with whatever perceived holes their rosters have, so talk of either team NEEDING to make a trade is a little overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Not sure I agree with that. We could use one starter.. And it's not a great need since you only need 4 starters in the playoffs. The Sox could use an upgraded 2b, C, and reliever. Both teams would be on pace to win 100+ games with whatever perceived holes their rosters have, so talk of either team NEEDING to make a trade is a little overblown.
    I agree with you that neither team NEEDS to make a trade.

IMO, which I fully admit might be clouded by Jacko-like bias, is that the Sox are good to go as is, even for the playoff run. That's provided that they stay healthy, of course. I could see adding a reliever. I can understand why people think we need an upgrade at 2B, but I think we're fine there. I completely disagree with you about the Sox needing a catcher.

I really think the Yankees' need for a starter is greater than any of our needs, with the word 'need' being used lightly. Both teams would make the playoffs even if they stand pat.

I agree with you that neither team NEEDS to make a trade.

IMO, which I fully admit might be clouded by Jacko-like bias, is that the Sox are good to go as is, even for the playoff run. That's provided that they stay healthy, of course. I could see adding a reliever. I can understand why people think we need an upgrade at 2B, but I think we're fine there. I completely disagree with you about the Sox needing a catcher.

I really think the Yankees' need for a starter is greater than any of our needs, with the word 'need' being used lightly. Both teams would make the playoffs even if they stand pat.
    I endorse this post.

I think reliever and spot starting help can be had from AAA and AA. Second base is not ideal . But the Sox can live with the combo of Holt - Nunez. Our bench is weak after that as Swi has not shown much. Not that it is entirely his fault with such limited playing time.

Catcher remains a strength. Especially now that both Vasquez and Leon appear to be getting better wood on the ball. If anything, the Yankees have a weakness at catcher.

Especially now with Sanchez out. Looks like the Yankees will have to resort to a glove first type behind the plate. Which, ironically, is a defensive upgrade at the position.

Still a long way to go this season.

Health will likely be a determining factor in this race.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I endorse this post.

I think reliever and spot starting help can be had from AAA and AA. Second base is not ideal . But the Sox can live with the combo of Holt - Nunez. Our bench is weak after that as Swi has not shown much. Not that it is entirely his fault with such limited playing time.

Catcher remains a strength. Especially now that both Vasquez and Leon appear to be getting better wood on the ball. If anything, the Yankees have a weakness at catcher.

Especially now with Sanchez out. Looks like the Yankees will have to resort to a glove first type behind the plate. Which, ironically, is a defensive upgrade at the position.

Still a long way to go this season.

Health will likely be a determining factor in this race.
    I'm with you Spud.

As long as our team stays relatively healthy, we are good to go.

I really think the Yankees' need for a starter is greater than any of our needs,
    ^^This.

A need for a starter would be much higher if there was a fight to make the playoffs. The Sox and Yanks are making the playoffs. The idea of a new starter isn’t born out in the stats, though. Our rotation has been every bit as good as yours. Our pen has been better. Your offense has been a touch better on the whole. There’s no real singular upgrade on our side that needs to happen. Either the guys we have play well or they don’t. On your side, there are clear spots of upgrade. 2b and CF are clear spots of upgrade. 3b and C are possible spots

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    A need for a starter would be much higher if there was a fight to make the playoffs. The Sox and Yanks are making the playoffs. The idea of a new starter isn’t born out in the stats, though. Our rotation has been every bit as good as yours. Our pen has been better. Your offense has been a touch better on the whole. There’s no real singular upgrade on our side that needs to happen. Either the guys we have play well or they don’t. On your side, there are clear spots of upgrade. 2b and CF are clear spots of upgrade. 3b and C are possible spots
    I know you don't think too highly of our starters, especially our 3-6 slot starters, but we've had better numbers than the Yankee starters, to date.

ERA-
    5. BOS 87
    7. NYY 91

SIERA
    5. BOS 3.65
    7. NYY 3.75

WHIP
    6. NYY 1.19
    7. BOS 1.21

xFIP-
    6. NYY 90
    8. BOS 91

K/BB
    3.39 BOS
    3.24 NYY

ERA-
    50 Severino
    60 Sale
    76 Sabathia
    84 Porcello
    86 Price
    90 ERod

110 Tanaka
    118 Gray

141 German (not counted on for playoffs)
    159 Pom (not counted on for playoffs)

Looks to me like our 3-6 starters have been our strength, and I didn't include Wright or our other starters on this list, and they have done a very good job as 6-9 slot starters).
    Last edited by moonslav59; 06-28-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I know you don't think too highly of our starters, especially our 3-6 slot starters, but we've had better numbers than the Yankee starters, to date.

ERA-
    5. BOS 87
    7. NYY 91

SIERA
    5. BOS 3.65
    7. NYY 3.75

WHIP
    6. NYY 1.19
    7. BOS 1.21

xFIP-
    6. NYY 90
    8. BOS 91

K/BB
    3.39 BOS
    3.24 NYY

Those are some close numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Those are some close numbers.
    The ERA- differential is pretty significant, and our top 4 starters needed in the playoffs seem much better than the Yankees.

ERA-
    50 Severino
    60 Sale
    76 Sabathia
    84 Porcello
    86 Price
    90 ERod
    110 Tanaka
    118 Gray

Their 1 & 2 have better numbers, so far, but I'm guessing Price or Porcello pass CC by season's end.

Our 3 & 4 blow NY's away... so far.