Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox Underrated Minor Leaguers

Sox Underrated Minor Leaguers

I know the Sox farm system isn't that great right now, but there are quite a few guys at Portland who have some great potential. Don't know why more people aren't talking about them.
    https://redsoxunfiltered.com/2018/07...ogs-prospects/

Deity
    Ockimey is universally accepted as a top ten prospect in the Sox system.

Kent does get no chatter. This is true...

Kent reminds me of Dan Camarena and Shaeffer Hall from Yankee minor league lore. Both were soft tossing lefties who dominated minor league competition but neither developed in terms of added velocity. They stalled in AAA and the org knew they had no shot in the bigs. Mark Buerhle's are rare beasts. Most soft tossing lefties came up as harder throwing lefties who lost velo after years of throwing. Starting off mid 80s is not going to be competitive in the majors
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Kent reminds me of Dan Camarena and Shaeffer Hall from Yankee minor league lore. Both were soft tossing lefties who dominated minor league competition but neither developed in terms of added velocity. They stalled in AAA and the org knew they had no shot in the bigs. Mark Buerhle's are rare beasts. Most soft tossing lefties came up as harder throwing lefties who lost velo after years of throwing. Starting off mid 80s is not going to be competitive in the majors
    That’s what I was telling Jamie Moyer just the other day...

He started off as a pitcher capable of throwing low 90s

Deity
    He started off as a pitcher capable of throwing low 90s
    And then became of soft-tossing lefty for the last 18 years of his career.

I’m not saying Kent is a future all star. He’s a minor leaguer doing a better job than many realize solely because he doesn’t fit the mold of what many fans and scouts want from young players. For pitchers, that means radar gun readings.

Well there are no strong set of minimum standards to make the majors. The odds were always stacked against Kent anyway, but maybe he can still get there.

The only guy in recent memory who came up as a mid to high 80s guy and have a good career was Buerhle. All others at least started with reasonable velocity and then became better pitchers as their velo fell

I think the Red Sox system is going to blossom next year big time. Groome will return. A couple of the pitching prospects will blossom (candidates: Houck, Mata, Scherff) and they already have a couple of guys who look like big league starters, albeit middle of the rotation types, Beeks and Shawaryn. A couple of position players could blossom too, especially Casas and Chatham.

I don't hold out much hope for Chavis. Why does soxprospects.com rank him #1? I guess they never got the memo that PEDs are known to enhance performance and statistics, turning a 35 year old Barry Bonds into Babe Ruth. I'm drifting from the main topic, but Soxprospects has really gone downhill. The founder of the site, Mike Andrews, rarely posts on the site unless he is asking members to help pay for his vacations. It amazes me that people actually donate money to the site. I'm pretty sure Andrews lies about the amount coming in, though.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I think the Red Sox system is going to blossom next year big time. Groome will return. A couple of the pitching prospects will blossom (candidates: Houck, Mata, Scherff) and they already have a couple of guys who look like big league starters, albeit middle of the rotation types, Beeks and Shawaryn. A couple of position players could blossom too, especially Casas and Chatham.

I don't hold out much hope for Chavis. Why does soxprospects.com rank him #1? I guess they never got the memo that PEDs are known to enhance performance and statistics, turning a 35 year old Barry Bonds into Babe Ruth. I'm drifting from the main topic, but Soxprospects has really gone downhill. The founder of the site, Mike Andrews, rarely posts on the site unless he is asking members to help pay for his vacations. It amazes me that people actually donate money to the site. I'm pretty sure Andrews lies about the amount coming in, though.
    Wait, so you're down on Yankee prospects on the national stage who are thriving yet you think the pile of trash in the sox minors will blossom? Dude, the sox are three years away only because of the INTL signings from the past few seasons. Otherwise, their drafts have been terrible and their development worse.
    Hal sucks

Wait, so you're down on Yankee prospects on the national stage who are thriving yet you think the pile of trash in the sox minors will blossom? Dude, the sox are three years away only because of the INTL signings from the past few seasons. Otherwise, their drafts have been terrible and their development worse.
    The biggest reason our farm sucks is because we called up Devers and Beni early and traded away about 15 guys that at some point were in our top 20 prospects.

It's not because of poor drafting, except for pitchers.

(Even the pitchers we drafted or signed as IFAs helped bring us back a lot in trade.)

How high would our farm system be, if we had Beni, Devers, Moncada, Kopech, Espinoza, Basabe, Allen, Asuaje, plus others including Groome & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The biggest reason our farm sucks is because we called up Devers and Beni early and traded away about 15 guys that at some point were in our top 20 prospects.

It's not because of poor drafting, except for pitchers.

(Even the pitchers we drafted or signed as IFAs helped bring us back a lot in trade.)

How high would our farm system be, if we had Beni, Devers, Moncada, Kopech, Espinoza, Basabe, Allen, Asuaje, plus others including Groome & Co.
    The next wave led by Groome didn't develop. By dealing away and then missing on a few guys, the system became thin. DD's drafting and the development under him has not been strong
    Hal sucks

Read an interview with Kent in which he somewhat talked about his lower velocity. Early in his career, he tried to constantly attack hitters every at-bat. While it worked in Lowell, he found out he didn't have the stuff to get away with that against higher competition. He's become a much more cerebral pitcher, so I don't think the lack of velocity will slow him like it did Hall or Camarena
    Here's the interview: https://redsoxunfiltered.com/2018/07...-matthew-kent/

Hall and Camarena did well through AA. The low velocity will kill him. He’s not a prospect

The next wave led by Groome didn't develop. By dealing away and then missing on a few guys, the system became thin. DD's drafting and the development under him has not been strong
    Groome got hurt. He has until after 2020 to reach rule 5.

I'm not saying our most recent draft picks are great, but poor draft picks is not even close to the major reason our farm is weak.

DD dealt away mega farm talent. That is the main reason by far.

BTW, Mata and Groome are just 19- a little too early to imply they are failures or duds.

Last edited by moonslav59; 07-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Chavis doesn't suck he's actually a damn good player who will contribute .