Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All Star Game

As deserving as I think Chris Sale is, Blake Snell is more. What a snub!

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why not just use best record like every other team sport on planet Earth?
    I guess you mean, other than the one that uses the 'neutral site' thing.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I guess you mean, other than the one that uses the 'neutral site' thing.
    Yes. But then they play one game and not a series.

And right up to that last game, the NFL does use best record to determine home field...

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    For whatever reason , there was a lot more interest in the game years ago. Ted's game winning homer. Then the years of N.L. dominance and the intensity of Pete Rose. The arguments over which league was superior. All of that started to change , perhaps due to the advent of interleague play. Nowadays , there is just not the same enthusiasm for the game. The home field advantage thing was just a gimmick to create interest , boost sagging ratings and help with TV contracts . Now , it is pretty much just a showcase for the top stars. But I'll be watching.
    Back then it was more like a normal game where winning was the goal for players and managers. Just consider your second sentence "Ted's game winning homer". There is 0 chance that he would still be in the game to hit a game winning homer now. It's all about making sure everyone gets in to the game.

I don't care about it whatsoever. Having the WS tied to it didn't make me care about it anymore. It was ruined by interleague play and Selig's boner.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Blake Snell not making the team is a farce. I tend to be a skeptic about things anyway. Here is a true story. Many years ago , way before the Internet , they would hand out punch card ballots at the old Yankee Stadium. You would punch out your selections and drop them in a barrell on your way out. On my way out , I looked in the barrell. It was half filled with spindled , folded , mutilated , mustard stained , beer soaked , hanging chad " ballots ". I thought to myself , " No one is going to count these things , they are going straight to the dump ." Folks , everything is not always on the level.

Snell was definitely deserving. Btw, the pitchers are selected by the all-star manager.

The All-Star game? Meh. I may watch, but only because there's no other baseball on tv.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The All-Star game? Meh. I may watch, but only because there's no other baseball on tv.
    Valid reason.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    With the ASG no longer tied to home field in the World Series, am I the only one who could give two shits about it? If I’m Boone, I stretch Sevy to that final game vs Cleveland so he doesn’t pitch. Chapman should also use his knee as a reason not to play. I hope Judge also takes some time off too. I legitimately could care less and would rather my guys get the rest. Do Sox fans feel the same way?
    I still watch it because it is good baseball played by the best--many of whom I don't see very often or at all. Whoever wins gets bragging rights, and, if one League keeps winning, it suggests it's the better League which in fact was the case a few times in the past.

Unlike football and basketball, there is less risk of injury, so the ASG players are all trying hard to make a good pitch, a good swing, a good catch and/or throw. It can be real baseball, not "show" baseball (whatever that is).

I've seen Severino pitch several times and consider it a treat even though painful for a Sox fan. He is having a great year because of how he is pitching, and I think he deserves the start and maybe 2 innings, certainly not 3. For the same reason I'd like to see Sale out there, especially if there is a defensive play to be made--and even though right now I think Severino is better. For the same reason I'd like to see some NL pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Blake Snell not making the team is a farce. I tend to be a skeptic about things anyway. Here is a true story. Many years ago , way before the Internet , they would hand out punch card ballots at the old Yankee Stadium. You would punch out your selections and drop them in a barrell on your way out. On my way out , I looked in the barrell. It was half filled with spindled , folded , mutilated , mustard stained , beer soaked , hanging chad " ballots ". I thought to myself , " No one is going to count these things , they are going straight to the dump ." Folks , everything is not always on the level.
    Let the stat geeks vote. They will do a better job than fans, managers/coaches, players, and writers.

I guess I'm in the minority. I usually watch the All Star Game because I actually enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Snell was definitely deserving. Btw, the pitchers are selected by the all-star manager.
    My bad; the players vote for the pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority. I usually watch the All Star Game because I actually enjoy it.
    Of the 4 major team sports, the baseball all-star game, good, bad, or indifferent, is still better than the other 3's.