Register now to remove this ad

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
Results 1,156 to 1,167 of 1167

Thread: Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Fortuna Eruditis Favet. The Red Sox were the better prepared of any team they faced
    Most prepared.
    Most focused.
    Most determined.
    Most balanced (pitching, hitting, defense, running).
    Best team in MLB.
    Best Sox team I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    The Sox were truly the best team in baseball all year, from start to finish. They dominated two, 100 win teams and the Dodgers. The 2018 Red Sox should go down as one of the all time best teams. What a fun year to watch and follow them.
    IN.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Fortuna Eruditis Favet. The Red Sox were the better prepared of any team they faced
    Best prepared for the playoffs, I can agree with.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    The Sox were truly the best team in baseball all year, from start to finish. They dominated two, 100 win teams and the Dodgers. The 2018 Red Sox should go down as one of the all time best teams. What a fun year to watch and follow them.
    The 2018 Red Sox deserve to be on any of those lists where you'd put the 1976 Reds, the 1998 Yankees, the 1970 Orioles (I'll leave out the 2001 Mariners since they did not win it all, though that was an incredible season on its own terms), any of those old timey Yankees teams. They are unquestionably one of the greatest single season teams in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Best prepared for the playoffs, I can agree with.
    I keep hearing that from Boston teams. They're better prepared. Partly because Boston teams are in the playoffs A LOT, but it makes you wonder.

We all know one Boston franchise more famous than any other for meticulous preparation. Are the other franchises taking lessons from the Bill Belichick school of how to manage a sports franchise? I suppose considering the extended success of the Patriots, you'd either have to be particularly stupid or particularly stubborn not to.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I keep hearing that from Boston teams. They're better prepared. Partly because Boston teams are in the playoffs A LOT, but it makes you wonder.

We all know one Boston franchise more famous than any other for meticulous preparation. Are the other franchises taking lessons from the Bill Belichick school of how to manage a sports franchise? I suppose considering the extended success of the Patriots, you'd either have to be particularly stupid or particularly stubborn not to.
    possibly in some general ways, but football is its own unicorn (a really short season, few guaranteed deals)

Everything aligned perfectly for the 2018 Red Sox. You take a team that was close but no cigar 2 years in a row and not losing much from those teams. You add a fantastic manager, a fantastic slugger, and 2 incredibly good deadline acquisitions, and you should be ready to kick some butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Everything aligned perfectly for the 2018 Red Sox. You take a team that was close but no cigar 2 years in a row and not losing much from those teams. You add a fantastic manager, a fantastic slugger, and 2 incredibly good deadline acquisitions, and you should be ready to kick some butt.
    Let's not pretend we won those playoff series in a walk. Things always look easier after they've been accomplished. Those were some very good teams we humiliated, it's worth noting that although our World Series opponent was probably the weakest team we faced this year, any of the three were at least potentially capable of turning the tables on us

Point being the boys needed to execute to get this done, they could make a lot of noise on talent alone, but so could most of their opponents in the playoffs. It was a championship, not a coronation, in other words.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

I don't follow football closely enough to make the comparison with Belichick.

As far as the Sox go this year, Cora started preparing his players from Day 1. His focus all season has been geared towards the postseason, from both a mental standpoint and from a physical standpoint.

That sounds very Belichickian and makes me very excited.

Congrats to Dave for winning Executive of the Year.

Thanks Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't follow football closely enough to make the comparison with Belichick.

As far as the Sox go this year, Cora started preparing his players from Day 1. His focus all season has been geared towards the postseason, from both a mental standpoint and from a physical standpoint.
    The team also stuck to the fundamentals and reduced bonehead plays and lack-of-focus mistakes.

Cora is the best!