Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good Can This Sox Team Be?

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Today the Sox stand at 64-29 with a .688 record. They have 69 games left. 69 games x .688 = 47.472. Rounding down to 47-22, that projects to 111-51. I agree with Bellhorn, I'll take it.
    I'm talking about the 11, not the 111.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As we all know, the playoffs are largely a crap shoot. That said, the thing that correlates best with postseason wins is regular season wins, not HFA, not experience, not momentum, etc. It shouldn't be a surprise that the team with the best record in the regular season is more likely to win in the postseason, but even that advantage is very slight.
    The Yanks also won their division by 13.5 games and had won 4 of the previous 5 WS. It's not that surprising that the Yanks beat the Mariners that year. If not for a Mariano implosion, the Yanks would've made it 5 out of 6 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Bottom line---FF and Cora have put together the best Red Sox team ever.Yjink Bogaerts and his pop fyl hits ti RF, Look at him now. ThinkBetts with hi bat waving and taking strike one. Think second base where a perrevial all star is not even missed because tw the shoes get filled everyday, Think catcher where a VG fielding catcher will not be missed. (take the No 1 catcher off other teams and you're in trouble. (good examples all over baseball).

Even the pitching is as good as we have ever had! When the season got under way, we could bet that the WORLD SERIES would be won by either the Red Sox or the Yankees, Only MAJOR injuries can keep that from being the Sox.

The Foxx, Doerr, Cronin teams were funto watch, but thi this team can field and run as well as hit.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Bottom line---FF and Cora have put together the best Red Sox team ever.Yjink Bogaerts and his pop fyl hits ti RF, Look at him now. ThinkBetts with hi bat waving and taking strike one. Think second base where a perrevial all star is not even missed because tw the shoes get filled everyday, Think catcher where a VG fielding catcher will not be missed. (take the No 1 catcher off other teams and you're in trouble. (good examples all over baseball).

Even the pitching is as good as we have ever had! When the season got under way, we could bet that the WORLD SERIES would be won by either the Red Sox or the Yankees, Only MAJOR injuries can keep that from being the Sox.

The Foxx, Doerr, Cronin teams were funto watch, but thi this team can field and run as well as hit.
    If you think it's the best team ever, I'll have to take your word for it.

I loved the 2003 and 2004 teams with peak Manny and Papi, but you've seen far more than I probably ever will.

The 1978 team was arguably the best Red Sox team ever roster-wise. Hall of Famers and near-Hall of Famers coming out of its ears.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The Yanks also won their division by 13.5 games and had won 4 of the previous 5 WS. It's not that surprising that the Yanks beat the Mariners that year. If not for a Mariano implosion, the Yanks would've made it 5 out of 6 years.
    That was one of the best WS ever.

Also, the Yankees are the luckiest team ever.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Today the Sox stand at 64-29 with a .688 record. They have 69 games left. 69 games x .688 = 47.472. Rounding down to 47-22, that projects to 111-51. I agree with Bellhorn, I'll take it.
    Looking at it a different way, even a fall to a pedestrian .525 winning percentage the rest of the way still puts us at 100 wins. Pretty incredible.

That was one of the best WS ever.

Also, the Yankees are the luckiest team ever.
    Yep, 40+ lucky World Series appearances.

If you think it's the best team ever, I'll have to take your word for it.

I loved the 2003 and 2004 teams with peak Manny and Papi, but you've seen far more than I probably ever will.
    I haven't seen as much as many people here either, but I'd have to say 2003 was the best team I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The 1978 team was arguably the best Red Sox team ever roster-wise. Hall of Famers and near-Hall of Famers coming out of its ears.
    Sox potential future HOFers:

2018:

Betts, Beni, JD, Sale, Price, Kimbrel, Xander?

1978:

Eck, Tiant, Fisk, Yaz, Rice, Evans, Lynn? Anyone else seen as a potential HOF guy if all things broke right on the 1978 squad?

Yep, 40+ lucky World Series appearances.
    Work with me here Bell.

Sox potential future HOFers:

2018:

Betts, Beni, JD, Sale, Price, Kimbrel, Xander?

1978:

Eck, Tiant, Fisk, Yaz, Rice, Evans, Lynn? Anyone else seen as a potential HOF guy if all things broke right on the 1978 squad?
    That covers it. At a glance there were also some others who ended their careers with over 20 bWAR: Scott, Torrez, Spaceman, Stanley.

That covers it. At a glance there were also some others who ended their careers with over 20 bWAR: Scott, Torrez, Spaceman, Stanley.
    Of those guys, I only saw the Steamer play and let's just say I wasn't a big fan of him as a little kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujwjqIldwU 2:30 was burned into my childhood brain.

Deity
    Only 2 things matter: winning the division and winning it all.
    Exactly right. With a 3.5 game lead, the division is looking better, but a long way from over.

Postseason right now looks like a toss up. We are even with the Astros head to head and I think 4-5 vs. the Yankees. In the 2013 postseason, Lester and Lackey were pretty important--plus Uehara of course. Despite the 2017 debacle, I think Sale will be an ace this year, but don't see a great #2.

I haven't seen as much as many people here either, but I'd have to say 2003 was the best team I've seen.
    I'm actually going to have to go with the 2007 Red Sox team. Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lowell, Ortiz, Ramirez, Varitek, Drew, Youkillis as the hitting stars; Daisuke, Beckett, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester, Papelbon, Okajima, and Timlin as the pitching stars. Such an incredible mix of veterans near the end of the road having one last great season (Wakefield, Schilling, Lowell, Ramirez, Timlin), guys in their prime (Ortiz, Youkillis, Beckett), and upcoming stars (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon, Okajima). Somehow they were down 3 games to 1 against the Indians, but I don't think anyone was ever worried.

Their final 7 games of 2007:
    7-1 (W-Josh Beckett)
    12-2 (W-Curt Schilling)
    11-2 (W-Daiskuke Matsuzaka)
    13-1 (W-Josh Beckett)
    2-1 (W-Curt Schilling)
    10-5 (W-Daiskuke Matsuzaka)
    4-3 (W-Jon Lester)
    Last edited by kenmeister; 07-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.