Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good Can This Sox Team Be?

How Good Can This Sox Team Be?

We're on pace for 109 wins, and I think we can exceed it. We should be even better in the second half.
    https://redsoxunfiltered.com/2018/07...oston-red-sox/

Only 2 things matter: winning the division and winning it all.

Deity
    If you consider the teams that we play against for the most part, yes we will win a lot of games but are we that good? Most of the teams playing today pretty much suck. Lets go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    If you consider the teams that we play against for the most part, yes we will win a lot of games but are we that good? Most of the teams playing today pretty much suck. Lets go Sox!
    The flip side of that is that those other three teams in the ALE may not have such a bad record if they played in another division.

Edit: Baltimore not withstanding. The O's would suck in any division.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The flip side of that is that those other three teams in the ALE may not have such a bad record if they played in another division.

Right again my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    You can't help who's on the schedule, all you can do is play. And the Sox sure have been playing

But they have beaten the Yankems 4 times so far.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWhigg View Post
    You can't help who's on the schedule, all you can do is play. And the Sox sure have been playing
    Absolutely!

Legend

Depends on the division.

Entering Monday's games, the AL East had a cumulative record of 230-215 (.517), the AL Central 183-263 (.410) and the AL West 254-201 (.558).

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Depends on the division.

Entering Monday's games, the AL East had a cumulative record of 230-215 (.517), the AL Central 183-263 (.410) and the AL West 254-201 (.558).
    Ya ya ya. We get it. The AL West is the superior division and that's the only reason the Mariners don't have a better record than the Sox or the Yankees. <Eye roll>
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Ya ya ya. We get it. The AL West is the superior division and that's the only reason the Mariners don't have a better record than the Sox or the Yankees. <Eye roll>
    You said that very politely.

Thank you for that.

You know how I value manors and politeness.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    You said that very politely.

Thank you for that.

You know how I value manors and politeness.
    Thank you, Sir. You may have noticed that diplomacy is my forte. Usually.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    A Red Sox season of 110 wins falls within the realm of possibility as does a season of 98 wins.

Systematic projections have the Red Sox falling somewhere in between:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...b-predictions/

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthchart...tion=Standings

Legend
    Regular posters to this forum know that I place great weight on metrics that show the Mariners to be a significant tier below the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees.

The Mariners face a daunting task in a division with perhaps baseball's best team and three clubs that entered today's games at a combined even .500.

If we stay healthy and take them one game at a time, we should have a good Season.

A return to health and effectiveness by Wright, Pomeranz and pedroia would really push us over the top,