Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/11 Texas Rangers at Fenway

Hybrid View

Deity

7/11 Texas Rangers at Fenway

Bartolo Colon, righty, vs. Chris Sale, lefty

Pitching advantage to the Sox with our ace out there and a better lineup backing him up. But you gotta play the games, and in baseball surprises are almost a matter of course. Colon even going to the mound to start is a surprise given his age. And let's not forget that Sale, great as he is, can still have a bad game.

I disagree with everyone who says beating up lower ranked teams as the Sox have just done for those 8 straight wins, is only to be expected. Baloney. What has happened is that the hitting has come alive at just the right time--not that it was moribund before, but now it is better. This has been a terrific streak which has now built a 3.5 game lead over the Yankees just when they were ready to steamroller us again after taking 2 of 3 in Yankee Stadium. Deja vu all over again because the same thing happened two months ago in May.

The Sox have the best offense (by a good margin that keeps expanding) and the best record in MLB, but they are far from perfect. What team is?

I think most of us give DD a lot of credit for working on those imperfections from last year: new manager, new big bat equivalent to Big Papi at his best, Pearce, dumping HanRam, hanging onto JBJ, hanging onto Vazquez/Leon and adding Swihart (of necessity, but right now he is proving his worth and the wisdom of keeping him on the roster), etc. As key as JDM has been, I'm getting the feeling that Cora may be just as important, and that's a ridiculous thing to say about a manager.

I've enjoyed this streak as much as everyone else. Wild applause for Alex Cora and the team. And DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I've enjoyed this streak as much as everyone else.
    Yeah, the regular game thread posters are beside themselves with happiness. You can see it in their every post.

Max mojo with another EPIC streak. Kid is a beast.
    WIN.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Bartolo Colon, righty, vs. Chris Sale, lefty

Pitching advantage to the Sox with our ace out there and a better lineup backing him up. But you gotta play the games, and in baseball surprises are almost a matter of course. Colon even going to the mound to start is a surprise given his age. And let's not forget that Sale, great as he is, can still have a bad game.

I disagree with everyone who says beating up lower ranked teams as the Sox have just done for those 8 straight wins, is only to be expected. Baloney. What has happened is that the hitting has come alive at just the right time--not that it was moribund before, but now it is better. This has been a terrific streak which has now built a 3.5 game lead over the Yankees just when they were ready to steamroller us again after taking 2 of 3 in Yankee Stadium. Deja vu all over again because the same thing happened two months ago in May.

The Sox have the best offense (by a good margin that keeps expanding) and the best record in MLB, but they are far from perfect. What team is?

I think most of us give DD a lot of credit for working on those imperfections from last year: new manager, new big bat equivalent to Big Papi at his best, Pearce, dumping HanRam, hanging onto JBJ, hanging onto Vazquez/Leon and adding Swihart (of necessity, but right now he is proving his worth and the wisdom of keeping him on the roster), etc. As key as JDM has been, I'm getting the feeling that Cora may be just as important, and that's a ridiculous thing to say about a manager.

I've enjoyed this streak as much as everyone else. Wild applause for Alex Cora and the team. And DD.
    Couldn’t have said it better to myself. These are still professional athletes who on any given day can beat any team. 8 straight is no easy task in any league. Yes the playoffs still scare me and yes the Yankees still scare me. We still need a 5th man in this rotation but otherwise we have a solid team and can beat anyone with this offense and pitching. All we need to focus on is winning this division and see what happens. Seattle (or if Oakland) making the playoffs may take out the Yankees in the Wild Card game. We can only win the games we are given and so far the Sox are crushing it and producing some fun baseball to watch.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Couldn’t have said it better to myself. These are still professional athletes who on any given day can beat any team. 8 straight is no easy task in any league. Yes the playoffs still scare me and yes the Yankees still scare me. We still need a 5th man in this rotation but otherwise we have a solid team and can beat anyone with this offense and pitching. All we need to focus on is winning this division and see what happens. Seattle (or if Oakland) making the playoffs may take out the Yankees in the Wild Card game. We can only win the games we are given and so far the Sox are crushing it and producing some fun baseball to watch.
    Actually, I like your insights better because the playoffs and the Yankees scare me too. Dead on with "all we need to focus on is winning this division and see what happens."

It's time to put Bartolo in the wax museum. He's a relic now.

Max's mojo is BornToRun's mojo reincarnate.

RIP BTR

Taylor-taylor-swift-34145859-969-1222.jpg

Hail Max mojo!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    heard this morning on the radio that comparing Sale and Colon was like looking at the number 10. I like that. Also one person posed the question how many Sales would it take to make a Colon.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    heard this morning on the radio that comparing Sale and Colon was like looking at the number 10. I like that. Also one person posed the question how many Sales would it take to make a Colon.
    I like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Another question is how long it would take for Sale to cut up Colon's uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Another question is how long it would take for Sale to cut up Colon's uniform.
    Is it a retro uni?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Is it a retro uni?
    No, just a large one.

1. Mookie Betts (R) RF
    2. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
    3. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
    4. Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
    5. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
    6. Brock Holt (L) 2B
    7. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    8. Sandy Leon (S) C
    9. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF

Devers sitting tonight with Nunez playing 3B.

Otherwise, the pretty standard line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    1. Mookie Betts (R) RF
    2. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
    3. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
    4. Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
    5. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
    6. Brock Holt (L) 2B
    7. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    8. Sandy Leon (S) C
    9. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF

Devers sitting tonight with Nunez playing 3B.

Otherwise, the pretty standard line up.
    Think JD and Nuney go yard

Deity
    I would have let Devers hit against Colon...good experience for him and with Sale going I am not sure the Rangers have an answer unless body parts start flying off Sale on the mound.