Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/12 Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway

Deity

7/12 Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway

Happ, lefty vs. Price, lefty

Both have ERA's of 4.44. Happ is 10-5 and Price is 9-6. Price had a pretty good June and so far a horrible July. At KC his last start he only gave up 6 hits and 1 walk in 4.2 innings, but gave up 4 runs and in the 5th had three HBP's. Two months ago he went 5.1 vs. the Jays, and gave up 2 runs and got the win.

So I think the good guys need to score some runs tonight to win. Happ is helped by the Sox being less good against lefties and by going 7 on April 24 while giving up just 1 run. But the Sox lineup tonight will be better than the April one I think, and the Jays bullpen is among the worst in the AL.

I see this lineup: Betts, Beni, JDM, Pearce, Bogie, Holt, Devers, Leon, and JBJ. That's only five righty bats, but Holt hits lefties well. FWIW, Moreland's OPS vs. lefties is .781, so maybe he plays 1b, Pearce or JDM goes to the outfield, and JBJ drops out.

Pearce hits for the cycle against his old team.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I'm actually less concerned about whether they win or lose, and more concerned with whether David Price shows us anything. Do you remember when they pitched Beckett in the 2008 ALCS even though he wasn't really performing well then? (I still think we could have beat the Rays had we gone with another starter.) I'm worried David Price will be pitching in October, regardless of how well he's actually playing. So if that's the case, I hope he reverts to the form he showed in the starts prior to the last two.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I'm actually less concerned about whether they win or lose, and more concerned with whether David Price shows us anything. Do you remember when they pitched Beckett in the 2008 ALCS even though he wasn't really performing well then? (I still think we could have beat the Rays had we gone with another starter.) I'm worried David Price will be pitching in October, regardless of how well he's actually playing. So if that's the case, I hope he reverts to the form he showed in the starts prior to the last two.
    Beckett was 1 and 1 in that series.

Legend
    Hope Price joins the party, tired of bashing him. Hope he kicks butt.

No reason for Price not to go all out and show the team he will be a player after the break. He gets plenty of time off since, incredibly, he did not get invited to DC . David can probably get a couple days of Fortnite in, without hurting his arm. Never liked this guy, ever, but if the hitters support him, I'll gladly take the win. guaranteeing that the NYY's will have the next full week to think about the implications of the WC play-in game. Hope the Sox make it a 13 gamer into the A-S break.

P.S. Don't let the Yankees see Happ dominate you. Would only encourage them to go for him.

This 4 game is huge while the Yankees play Cleveland. We could be 5 games ahead at the end of it with some help by Francona squad. We need to take care of business tonight as Happ is tough even though he has struggles recently. Price can join the 10 Wins Big Dick Club tonight.

Deity
    Some really good comments above. Well done, all of you.

I agree Price as a starter is as big an issue as winning or losing this game. That said, I have already moved him down my list, which means nothing of course. Right now I think Price is our fifth best starter after Sale, Porcello/Wright, and ERod.

On another thread, someone commented maybe Sale and Price shouldn't pitch back to back because they both have a similar repertoire and are both lefties. In this case tonight, however, it's a new lineup for Price, so he should be fine--if in fact he is fine.

I also like station13's comments about the value right now of beating the Jay while the Yankees are at Cleveland.

Deity
    Devers is on the DL, so Nunez will be at 3b tonight. I hope Lin is being brought back up because, with Nunez and Holt in the lineup, there is no backup for 3b, 2b, or SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Devers is on the DL, so Nunez will be at 3b tonight. I hope Lin is being brought back up because, with Nunez and Holt in the lineup, there is no backup for 3b, 2b, or SS.
    Lin is the one being brought up.

@RedSox

The #RedSox today placed 3B Rafael Devers on the 10-day disabled list with left shoulder inflammation, retroactive to July 11. To fill Devers’ spot on the 25-man roster, the club recalled INF Tzu-Wei Lin from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    With his contract and how well he played in the playoffs last season he will start no matter what. His ERA until the last 2 games was pretty decent actually. Since coming back from his carpal tunnel he was playing lights out, especially that Mariners and Angels game..... Unfortunately his last 2 starts have been dreadful to put it lightly. Hoping he gets back on his game tonight and builds some confidence going into the second half of the season.

Deity
    Please don't tell Price there is anything huge in this series. The last thing we want to tell him.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lin is the one being brought up.

@RedSox

The #RedSox today placed 3B Rafael Devers on the 10-day disabled list with left shoulder inflammation, retroactive to July 11. To fill Devers’ spot on the 25-man roster, the club recalled INF Tzu-Wei Lin from Triple-A Pawtucket.
    He's hitting .308 with an OPS of .819 at Pawtucket. He hits lefty doesn't he?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Please don't tell Price there is anything huge in this series. The last thing we want to tell him.
    Meh. I just don't want Rod Steiger talking to him and telling him this ain't his night because "we're going for the price on Wilson."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    He's hitting .308 with an OPS of .819 at Pawtucket. He hits lefty doesn't he?
    He's a lefty. I'm a fan.