Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Devers DL

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Machado is a perfect fit for the Yankees.
    It'll be easy for Sox fans to despise him.
    So true.
    other names i have posted under: none

As good as Machado is there's always the question of how he will produce under pressure after playing in a relaxed atmosphere the last few years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    As good as Machado is there's always the question of how he will produce under pressure after playing in a relaxed atmosphere the last few years.
    He was on a playoff team 2 years ago...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @alexspeier

Devers said he injured shoulder on a dive back into first vs Mariners. He said an MRI showed no major injury, just inflammation. He expects to be back in the second game after AS break.
    No Jacko comments?

Hard to say how long he will be out since we haven't been given much information about what the injury is, only that its "not major". He is young....my guess is that he will be back sooner rather than later.

He played through it. He'll be fine
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The O's went to the ALDS in Machado's rookie season (2012), to the ALCS in 2014, and the wild card game in 2016. Not saying any of that necessarily compares to the pressure of Boston, but it's not like he's a stranger to playing in a pennant race.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He played through it. He'll be fine
    My opinion, the Red Sox are just taking advantage of the All Star Break to get Devers a bit of extra rest. Everything about this trip to the DL sounds precautionary to me. If it was later in the season or the Red Sox were battling for a playoff spot he'd probably be asked to play through it.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    My opinion, the Red Sox are just taking advantage of the All Star Break to get Devers a bit of extra rest. Everything about this trip to the DL sounds precautionary to me. If it was later in the season or the Red Sox were battling for a playoff spot he'd probably be asked to play through it.
    Yup, not a big issue.
    Certainly no reason to rush to a trade.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Legend
    We are through with more than half the season and Devers has had time to develop at the plate and in the field. I see him still making throwing errors and chasing pitches. It mght do him good to get more seasoning in the minors to work on his weaknesses. If we had a Beltre, we might be able to try a development assignment on Devers as he doesn't seem to me to be making substantial improvement.

Devers is still a net plus. He's on the big club to stay.

Plus, we have no better options.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Devers is still a net plus. He's on the big club to stay.

Plus, we have no better options.
    Yup. It would be one thing if we had a better or at least equal alternative, but we don't. Devers is the guy we need to be patient with. Remember Xander's struggles his first few seasons? He's a prime example of why being patient is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Yup. It would be one thing if we had a better or at least equal alternative, but we don't. Devers is the guy we need to be patient with. Remember Xander's struggles his first few seasons? He's a prime example of why being patient is important.
    If DD can fix second base, there should be enough to chose from to mix and match at 3rd base from Devers, Nunez and Holt. Maybe Devers or Nunez gets hot like they did down the stretch last season. How has Phillips been developing in the minors. Is he almost ready to come up?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I'm not really concerned about Devers... maybe his defense, but it's mostly the throwing, which seems easier to fix.

Our highest need area is probably a top set-up man, then maybe 2B, but I'd be fine with just some really good pen help.

If our starters are still hurt by the dealine, maybe we look there.

Phillips is hitting .227 in AAA... if we're evaluating him as a prospect, NWIH he's ready yet. If they think all he needs is some live time to get back into the swing of things, we'll see I guess

The guy I've got my eye on right now in the minors is Michael Chavis. If he can shake the rust of his suspension off over the next couple weeks he could put himself in a position to become very useful very quickly

At the moment if there's a gap in the infield I'm all for giving Tzu-Wei Lin a good long look. He impressed me last year and I want some time to see if that was a mirage or not.
    Last edited by Dojji; 07-22-2018 at 05:51 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Phillips is hitting .227 in AAA... if we're evaluating him as a prospect, NWIH he's ready yet. If they think all he needs is some live time to get back into the swing of things, we'll see I guess

The guy I've got my eye on right now in the minors is Michael Chavis. If he can shake the rust of his suspension off over the next couple weeks he could put himself in a position to become very useful very quickly

At the moment if there's a gap in the infield I'm all for giving Tzu-Wei Lin a good long look. He impressed me last year and I want some time to see if that was a mirage or not.
    He's played all of 7 games in AAA.

Where would Chavis play? Maybe he'll get a September call up, but I doubt he's going to be on the postseason roster or anything.

And by your logic: Chavis is only hittig .222 in AA this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")