Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway

Deity

7/13 Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway

Borucki, lefty, vs. Porcello, righty

Tough matchup because newbie Boruki looked very good against the Yankees last week--1 run in 7 innings. Rick Porcello, he of the 11 wins, ERA 3.58, can only try to compete and hope for the best.

I saw a bulletin that Benintendi is on bereavement leave and have seen nothing about Pearce's availability for tonight. If he is OK, I see him filling in at LF and 2d in the order. And Moreland goes to 1B and bats 4th. I'm sure Porcello and Cora both want Leon to catch tonight, but it will be his third straight start.

I thought our guys showed some toughness last night, which is actually nothing new this year. Price got nailed in the first on a good swing off of a good pitch, but was fine until the 7th inning and had a quality start. Happ was really effective until 4th when his guys didn't support him well, Nunez got a scratch hit, etc, and Mookie had an incredible at bat capped by golfing a grand slam out of the park in LF. Unfortunately, the Yankees were pretty tough too and got to Kluber when Francona left him in too long.

Who the heck was that masked man who went in for Pearce at 1B last night and smacked the ball hard twice? Wasn't that the 25th on the roster guy? The no can hit, no can catch, wasted slot guy? Suddenly DD and Cora look like geniuses and doubters like me look pretty foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post

Who the heck was that masked man who went in for Pearce at 1B last night and smacked the ball hard twice? Wasn't that the 25th on the roster guy? The no can hit, no can catch, wasted slot guy? Suddenly DD and Cora look like geniuses and doubters like me look pretty foolish.
    I'm enjoying the Swihart vs. JBJ batting average competition, yes.

Friday the 13th. Slaughter the Jays Bleu.

Legend
    Blake probably tonight behind the plate, afternoon game tomorrow, for Sandy. I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Borucki, lefty, vs. Porcello, righty

Tough matchup because newbie Boruki looked very good against the Yankees last week--1 run in 7 innings. Rick Porcello, he of the 11 wins, ERA 3.58, can only try to compete and hope for the best.

I saw a bulletin that Benintendi is on bereavement leave and have seen nothing about Pearce's availability for tonight. If he is OK, I see him filling in at LF and 2d in the order. And Moreland goes to 1B and bats 4th. I'm sure Porcello and Cora both want Leon to catch tonight, but it will be his third straight start.

I thought our guys showed some toughness last night, which is actually nothing new this year. Price got nailed in the first on a good swing off of a good pitch, but was fine until the 7th inning and had a quality start. Happ was really effective until 4th when his guys didn't support him well, Nunez got a scratch hit, etc, and Mookie had an incredible at bat capped by golfing a grand slam out of the park in LF. Unfortunately, the Yankees were pretty tough too and got to Kluber when Francona left him in too long.

If Benintendi is in fact on a few days bereavement leave this short bench just got shorter and almost forces Pearce to play. Consider sending one of the AAAA pitchers back to Pawsox and bring Sam Travis or other up for these 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    If Benintendi is in fact on a few days bereavement leave this short bench just got shorter and almost forces Pearce to play. Consider sending one of the AAAA pitchers back to Pawsox and bring Sam Travis or other up for these 3 games.
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Might as well bring up Lind if you're gonna bring up a 1b/lf guy. Pearce/Lind platoon might be ok short term.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

They brought up Travis. He's been absolute garbage this season. Maybe the promotion gives him a lift? I wouldn't count on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Blake probably tonight behind the plate, afternoon game tomorrow, for Sandy. I would think.
    Good. Blake is hitting now he is playing more regularly.

.333/.360/.417

Last 30 days.

New rant on MLB's winningest team to date, and likely for the regular season---- Does anyone really expect to win in the playoffs and possibly Series with this bullpen featuring Hembree, Workman, Kelly, Barnes and no LH'er, outside of plug-in Robby Scott? Thornburg is just another unknown quantity at this stage. Obviously not calling out Kimbrel, but you have to be holding a lead to effectively use your closer in ONE 3 out inning. I'm leaving out Wright, Johnson, Pomeranz because no one knows for sure when they'll be ready to go, and Velazquez is your 5th starter .

Matt Barnes 27 pitch shit show last night in a tight game just underscores how this pen's good stats disguise their inconsistency. Cora keeps running them out there from necessity, but you truly don't know what you will get for results. Poor command at times from all, occasional brilliance and often dodging bullets just in time. I will grant, so far, so good in terms of wins. September's schedule and drive to win the AL East will be the test and these guys are worrisome. I'm sure Dave D. is working on it , including getting a LH'er .
    Last edited by vegasbob; 07-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Deity
    Sox currently have 13 pitchers, so they do have an extra one. Calling up Travis or some other position players is definitely called for with 3 games to play before the All-Star break.

Deity
    New rant on MLB's winningest team to date, and likely for the regular season---- Does anyone really expect to win in the playoffs and possibly Series with this bullpen featuring Hembree, Workman, Kelly, Barnes and no LH'er, outside of plug-in Robby Scott? Thornburg is just another unknown quantity at this stage. Obviously not calling out Kimbrel, but you have to be holding a lead to effectively use your closer in ONE 3 out inning. I'm leaving out Wright, Johnson, Pomeranz because no one knows for sure when they'll be ready to go, and Velazquez is your 5th starter .

Matt Barnes 27 pitch shit show last night in a tight game just underscores how this pen's good stats disguise their inconsistency. Cora keeps running them out there from necessity, but you truly don't know what you will get for results. Poor command at times from all, occasional brilliance and often dodging bullets just in time. I will grant, so far, so good in terms of wins. September's schedule and drive to win the AL East will be the test and these guys are worrisome. I'm sure Dave D. is working on it , including getting a LH'er .
    All due respect, but the Sox pitcher overall is 5th best (ERA) in MLB at 3.53. The #2 ERA is the Yankees' at 3.43. Not much difference. My guess is that everybody is having pitching issues except the Astros who are 2.92.

That said, the Yankees and Astros are the two most likely teams to get to the ALCS besides the Sox. Even without Chapman, I think the Yankees have a better bullpen.

My hope come playoff time is that the bullpen is augmented by Johnson, Velazquez, and either Wright or Price, whichever is out of the starting rotation. And Kelly has been very good this year. If Pomeranz actually comes back to be effective, that's just icing on the cake. As would any contribution from Tyler Thornburg.

I agree though I expect a move for a left-handed reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Good. Blake is hitting now he is playing more regularly.

.333/.360/.417

Last 30 days.
    I'd throw him in LF before Travis.

YES, I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM BEFORE.

Legend
    Borucki has handled himself good so far. Pitched OK against the Astros and Yanks. Not too bad Minor League stats too.

Just watching The Rundown on MLB and in the case of LH reliever Britton, SOX not mentioned in showing interest, Phillies and Indians very interested. Cleveland has the worst BP in AL based on ERA.