Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mookie & Ted, 4th Full Seasons

Legend
    I am a Vietnam Vet, and after all the Pot I smoked in those years, I cant remember my last Post. Probably forget this one in a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    . I really hope that all of the younger people truly appreciate how lucky we all are to hear stories shared by people who have been following baseball since what - the late 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, etc.- Someone actually seeing Jimmie Fox play!
    I'm not young at mid 40, some of the people here have decades on me. If you really think about it, the years of baseball knowledge on this board is ASTOUNDING. Collectively other than a message board, there's almost no way you could get a bunch of people together that have so many years collectively who have the love of all things baseball.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Odd part was the scores on the back sheet might be (midd;e of the 6th" or "end pf the 8th" (with the score tied!
    I'm guessing they had to get the scores in earlier than the game ends to get the paper printed in time.

Talk about a cliff hanger if it was a tight game against a rival. I guess you'd have to wait till the next day to see who won two days before?
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

All-Star
    I hope you note the number of games played by Betts (75) and Ted (150). makes the comparison a little more valid.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I am a Vietnam Vet, and after all the Pot I smoked in those years, I cant remember my last Post. Probably forget this one in a minute or two.
    lol
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I lost it at "MOOLIE."
    Me too, because the previous mention was Nookie. Not making fun of bosoxmal in any way, but funny typos are funny. I only wish the Nookie and Moolie were switched so we could then say that Nookie has 76 Rubs

On topic, Mookie is ridiculous. I had an eye on him even before he broke out in the minors. Thought he'd be really good, maybe near the top of the league in doubles and BA. Didn't expect so much power.

And I like that this forum has so many older folks. It's nice to have that perspective, especially when most online forums are overwhelmingly teens/20's (I'm mid 40s).
    Last edited by jd98; 07-15-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jd98 View Post
    Me too, because the previous mention was Nookie. Not making fun of bosoxmal in any way, but funny typos are funny. I only wish the Nookie and Moolie were switched so we could then say that Nookie has 76 Rubs

On topic, Mookie is ridiculous. I had an eye on him even before he broke out in the minors. Thought he'd be really good, maybe near the top of the league in doubles and BA. Didn't expect so much power.

And I like that this forum has so many older folks. It's nice to have that perspective, especially when most online forums are overwhelmingly teens/20's (I'm mid 40s).
    Wait - You had your eye on a 6th?round draft pick who at the time was projected to be a second baseman. Whoever drafted him just got shit lucky. It is what happens with many draft picks. There are no sure things and sometimes greatness doesn't appear until it drops into your lap. We all got lucky.

Wait - You had your eye on a 6th?round draft pick who at the time was projected to be a second baseman. Whoever drafted him just got shit lucky. It is what happens with many draft picks. There are no sure things and sometimes greatness doesn't appear until it drops into your lap. We all got lucky.
    He was a 5th rounder, who was projected to go in the 2nd, and was always viewed as a high potential guy. A lot of teams were worried about Mookie's size and a lot of people thought he wouldn't sign because he was a Tennessee Kid and had a scholarship to play there, IIRC Sox had to overpay the slot in which they drafted Mookie by a lot. I could definitely see someone being early on Mookie bandwagon and falling in love with his play style. I remember the first time I saw him play in the minors, I instantly had a man crush on the guy. He's literally one of the few players I don't see how anyone could hate. I have Yankee fan friends who even love Mookie, they hate playing against him, but they cant actually hate him as a person. I Love the way he plays the game, and especially love his work ethic. He is a very special player.

Edit: Here is actually a very good article I found about Mookie regarding why he and Mike Trout fell in their respective drafts, and are now arguably the two best players in baseball
    https://www.masslive.com/redsox/inde..._betts_we.html
    Last edited by Jasonbay44; 07-16-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Rookie
    No, nothing like that, not that early. Basically early in 2013 before he started getting some hype, so I guess that was the beginning of his breakout rather than before. Bad wording on my part. Just meant before he was a top prospect. SoxProspects didn't even have him top 20 for June 2013. It wasn't meant to be some claim to my great prospecting skills, lol, it's just cool when you follow someone from early in their minor league career and they turn into a star. And he seems to be a great guy too. Probably already my second favorite player ever, behind Pedro.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    He was a 5th rounder, who was projected to go in the 2nd, and was always viewed as a high potential guy. A lot of teams were worried about Mookie's size and a lot of people thought he wouldn't sign because he was a Tennessee Kid and had a scholarship to play there, IIRC Sox had to overpay the slot in which they drafted Mookie by a lot. I could definitely see someone being early on Mookie bandwagon and falling in lot with his play style. I remember the first time I saw him play in the minors, I instantly had a man crush on the guy. He's literally one of the few players I don't see how anyone could hate. I have Yankee fan friends who even love Mookie, they hate playing against him, but they cant actually hate him as a person. I Love the way he plays the game, and especially love his work ethic. He is a very special player.
    That's a good summary. I saw him in Greenville in 2013. Agree with everything you said.

Mal you're too modest! I prepared for a recent trip by downloading Lost in Burma on my tablet, via Barnes & Noble, and on my flight I was enthralled by your tales. Particularly the one about the Irish priest.

And to the other forum old guys like me, I heartily recommend this book for your reading list.
    Lost in Burma.jpg

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jd98 View Post
    No, nothing like that, not that early. Basically early in 2013 before he started getting some hype, so I guess that was the beginning of his breakout rather than before. Bad wording on my part. Just meant before he was a top prospect. SoxProspects didn't even have him top 20 for June 2013. It wasn't meant to be some claim to my great prospecting skills, lol, it's just cool when you follow someone from early in their minor league career and they turn into a star. And he seems to be a great guy too. Probably already my second favorite player ever, behind Pedro.
    Now I get it. I think that I pretty much felt the same way you did after I had watched him a bit. I'll say it again - He is the face of the franchise - also I 'll say again though that no one could have seen this one coming. No scout - no GM - no anybody could have predicted this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I lost it at "MOOLIE."
    LOL I am not trying to poke fun at Mal, but this had me giggling pretty hard. We all make typos. Some of them end up being pretty funny.

I have the utmost respect for Mal and for Oldtimer and very much value their contributions here.

Speaking of Mookie, I didn't get a chance to comment on his epic at bat a few days ago. That's the kind of baseball moment you live for.

Mookie since return from the DL: .402/.509/.674

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Mookie since return from the DL: .402/.509/.674
    Downright scary.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."