Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's a crazy thought...

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    While waiting for the MLB All Star extravaganza to conclude, that we might be able to get back to serious baseball on Friday night, to firm up the lineup while awaiting the 'laser show' to recover and resume his stellar play at 2B, how about putting Mookie back at 2B, his original position, and leave J.D. in LF, Benny in CF, and J.B.J. in RF?

Then, of course, Moreland and Pearce, could rotate at 1B per lefty righty situation, and odd-man-out at DH, or where called for Swihart at DH.
    he hasn't practiced at the position in over 3 years now. I think he could probably figure it out, but there's no denying that relearning the position would hurt his productivity and possibly even result in injury.

I've speculated about this before too, but at the moment Betts is providing far too much value right where he is for me to be excited about messing with him.

That said, if it worked the result would be a brilliantly productive second basemen, there was never anything wrong with his ability to field second base, he was pushed out of second by the existence of Pedroia who's not here right now. It absolutely COULD work, and the upside would be ENORMOUS considering what he can do with his bat.

Betts is one of the best offensive right fielders in the game, putting that kind of production at a middle infield position would be a massive advantage, But it wouldn't come without risk, and the team won't likely decide to take a risk of that nature.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I would not even think of moving Betts to 2B, if Nunez and Holt both got hurt and Pedey does not come back, but it wouldn't be Swihart getting more ABs. It would likely be Moreland & Pearce playing FT and not platooning at 1B with guys like Nunez or Holt getting some time at DH or spelling people while they DH.

I hate the idea.
    So do I. Mookie actually has a pretty good arm and great range in right field. My guess is it's a better fit than 2b.

If it was the N.L. , with no DH , it would make more sense. As it is , it really doesn't accomplish anything.

Don't fuck with what works.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    If it was the N.L. , with no DH , it would make more sense. As it is , it really doesn't accomplish anything.
    Not true. It makes the defense worse...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It’s not like Betts is faking it out there, he’s quite possibly the best defensive OFer in baseball. You don’t move him
    If he was just average, you move him. However, his defensive prowess in RF would get cut off at the knees if you move him to 2b.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not true. It makes the defense worse...
    Obviously. I wouldn't consider making the defense worse an accomplishment. As I said , in the N.L. , it might be worth it.