Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Josh Hader To Undergo Sensitivity Training

Josh Hader To Undergo Sensitivity Training

It looks like Rob Manfred has taken his cue from the Starbucks CEO and is directing Josh Hader to undergo sensitivity training for something he tweeted seven years ago. The "progressive" Manfred, who also wants to tell managers where to position their players and how many relievers they are allowed to use, is making sure their is no "feigned outrage" from the Adam Jones' of MLB.

What next Rob? Will you follow the lead of the "progressive" Starbucks and allow homeless "entrepreneurs" to loiter on the concourses, outfields, and dugouts of MLB teams. Why not cancel all games for a day and make it mandatory for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    It looks like Rob Manfred has taken his cue from the Starbucks CEO and is directing Josh Hader to undergo sensitivity training for something he tweeted seven years ago. The "progressive" Manfred, who also wants to tell managers where to position their players and how many relievers they are allowed to use, is making sure their is no "feigned outrage" from the Adam Jones' of MLB.

What next Rob? Will you follow the lead of the "progressive" Starbucks and allow homeless "entrepreneurs" to loiter on the concourses, outfields, and dugouts of MLB teams. Why not cancel all games for a day and make it mandatory for everybody.
    Sensitivity training?? Doesn't sound like a real punishment. Not that I think one is warranted NOW for something tweeted when you're in high school seven years ago. Gurriel was forced to attend this training last year as well because he did the Asian eyes gesture after hitting a HR off of Darvish, so I guess this isn't unprecedented.

It isn't unprecedented, but it is stupid. Hader wasn't a big leaguer when he said those stupid things. He wasn't a professional baseball player at all. Having a "punishment" 7 years later for something he did as a teen is stupid. I think this should be one of those deals where the man is judged on his character now than on how dumb he was at 18. If all of us are judged by what we did at 18, then none of us would get a chance in this world. We were all raging morons at that age
    Hal sucks

I think that part of being a major leaguer is training not just in the sport, but also in media relations, seminars in sexual harassment and sexual discrimination, and other sensitivity training. They teach these kids how to be adults. I think this action by MLB is probably overkill as he has probably already received similar training. It is more of a PR move for MLB than anything.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Ah, good old Social Media.

Who woulda thunk that giving just about everyone on the planet with an internet connection and the ability to keypunch a couple of sentences the opportunity to express their thoughts to the world 24/7, unblocked and uncensored, no matter what condition they're in, and have their statements captured for posterity, could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Who woulda thunk that giving just about everyone on the planet with an internet connection and the ability to keypunch a couple of sentences the opportunity to express their thoughts to the world 24/7, unblocked and uncensored, no matter what condition they're in, and have their statements captured for posterity, could possibly go wrong?
    Good thing they have moderators on ( most ) baseball forums.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think that part of being a major leaguer is training not just in the sport, but also in media relations, seminars in sexual harassment and sexual discrimination, and other sensitivity training. They teach these kids how to be adults. I think this action by MLB is probably overkill as he has probably already received similar training. It is more of a PR move for MLB than anything.
    I agree. There's definitely a positive reason to include sexual harassment and discrimination information or training in any organization, and I'm glad the MLB does it even if it doesn't always help, but doing it specifically for Hader based on a single 7 or 8 year old Tweet (that looks like it was written BY a 7 to 8 year old kid) is probably a huge waste of time. However, it will probably have the actual desired effects, which are to prove to the public that MLB is at least attempting to look like it doesn't support use of the n-word, and also to remind every other player that if you do something that dumb, you're going to have your time wasted sitting in a stuffy conference room somewhere while the local HR guy drones on about this stuff. So no money was wasted, only time, and everybody is happy except Hader. I'm okay with that, especially because he seems like a douche.

I will also say, that my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, is that people don't usually grow up with regards to this shit. The kids I knew in high school who were outright racists are still the same racists today, they're just better at masking it in public. I don't know that this is the case with Hader, so I'm not going to judge him too harshly and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he's wised up. But he still seems like a douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It isn't unprecedented, but it is stupid. Hader wasn't a big leaguer when he said those stupid things. He wasn't a professional baseball player at all. Having a "punishment" 7 years later for something he did as a teen is stupid. I think this should be one of those deals where the man is judged on his character now than on how dumb he was at 18. If all of us are judged by what we did at 18, then none of us would get a chance in this world. We were all raging morons at that age
    Some of us still are Yankees fans. I mean, raging morons, sorry. Wait, no, same thing. Language is so confusing sometimes.
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I agree. There's definitely a positive reason to include sexual harassment and discrimination information or training in any organization, and I'm glad the MLB does it even if it doesn't always help, but doing it specifically for Hader based on a single 7 or 8 year old Tweet (that looks like it was written BY a 7 to 8 year old kid) is probably a huge waste of time. However, it will probably have the actual desired effects, which are to prove to the public that MLB is at least attempting to look like it doesn't support use of the n-word, and also to remind every other player that if you do something that dumb, you're going to have your time wasted sitting in a stuffy conference room somewhere while the local HR guy drones on about this stuff. So no money was wasted, only time, and everybody is happy except Hader. I'm okay with that, especially because he seems like a douche.

I will also say, that my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, is that people don't usually grow up with regards to this shit. The kids I knew in high school who were outright racists are still the same racists today, they're just better at masking it in public. I don't know that this is the case with Hader, so I'm not going to judge him too harshly and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he's wised up. But he still seems like a douche.
    He's actually a pretty nice dude. I played against him in baseball when I was younger, and I have friends who were teammates and friends with him at Old Mill High School.. I never heard anything about him being racist/douche at all. That being said, those tweets are completely unacceptable and ridiculous. My question is though, doesn't the MLB/Hader have someone who looks through their social media and check this shit out? Like I feel like every few months I see a story about old tweets resurfacing from a star player who tweeted some absurd shit in HS. Tyreek Hills were bad, Geronimo Allisons were awful, a few NBA players, etc. I just don't get how this keeps happening.. and who the hell decided to look this stuff up anyway? I swear people have no life.

Yeah but you're kind of a douche too, so how can I use your opinion as a reference point?!

I think Lorenzo Cain summered it up best

Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain was asked about the tweets.

“We all said some crazy stuff when we’re young,” Cain told reporters after the game. “That’s one reason why I don’t have social media is because of things like this. You always get in trouble for things you said when you’re younger. We’ll move on from it. The situation is what it is. I know Hader, he’s a great guy. I know he’s a great teammate. I’m fine. Everybody will be OK.”

Cain was asked if he was surprised to hear about the tweets.

“I was surprised,” Cain said. “Anytime somebody does something like that, you’re surprised. At the end of the day, you’ve got to give people a second chance ... you’ve got to forgive people. Like I said, we’ll move on from it. For me, it’s over and done with. He said it. It got out there. I’m moving on from it.”
    https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...215083165.html

Hopefully this doesn't mess up the Brewers clubhouse. I like a lot of those guys on that team and think they're fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Yeah but you're kind of a douche too, so how can I use your opinion as a reference point?!
    To be fair, I did decide to search through my Facebook and twitter last night after seeing Hader's stuff, just out of curiosity, there wasn't anything racist, or bad like what Hader said, but man was there some embarrassingly stupid shit on there. I wish I didn't have social media in HS lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    To be fair, I did decide to search through my Facebook and twitter last night after seeing Hader's stuff, just out of curiosity, there wasn't anything racist, or bad like what Hader said, but man was there some embarrassingly stupid shit on there. I wish I didn't have social media in HS lol.
    Yeah I'm really glad Facebook and Twitter really exploded only after I had passed my early 20s. I had a MySpace account but that's long gone, I never had a FB account. I have a Twitter but I hardly post anything. Mostly I just use it to keep updated on stuff that might not necessarily make the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Herm Edwards said it best when talking to his players about social media. He said "don't press send".