Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Such a delicious weekend

Such a delicious weekend

We got to see some great pitching performances, some really good hitting performances, and one clutch back breaking come back.

That was an absolute slaughter. They're calling it a new Boston Massacre in the New York media.

Delicious! Amazing! Wonderful to live through!

I still remember the massacre of '06. Talk about disheartening, but at least we were in most of the games, in fact IIRC we had a lead in 4 of those 5 games at one point or another despite the massive flaws in the 06 roster. These Yankees weren't even competitive in 3 of the 4 games, and the one time they were competitive, we broke their backs by killing their closer in the 9th.

One of the best rivalry experiences in my memory. So fun to go back over those 4 games and review the highlights. Pierce. Porcello. Eovaldi. And finally, Benintendi, the Invisible Superstar.

And we moved the Yankees all the way out of the division race in a single weekend.

We'll be remembering this one for a very long time. The rotation was outstanding, even the replacement guy did his job. The bullpen was barely used outside of the Johnson game, so they should be pretty fresh for the August stretch too, and the Yankee bullpen is blown to smithereens.

In short we gave our main rivals a memorable whupping and the division is probably ours now. So fun.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

All-Star
    I can't think of a more exhilarating and satisfying regular season series in recent memory. What a tremendous four days of baseball.

And here I was hoping for a split earlier last week.

Wonderful way to end the week.

The Yanks are now fighting for a playoff berth while injured, battered and discombobulated.

The A's just traded for Fiers and are 33-10 recently.

While the Yanks still have the second best record in MLB, they are just 2.5 games up on the A's for home field advantage for the play-in game. The M's are 5 back but sputtering right now.

Deity
    The most amazing thing was the Sox did it without Sale...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yup. That's why, along with Emp9, I was looking for a split. Just keep that 5 1/2 game lead, I thought. Not having Sale in my mind was huge.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    We got to see some great pitching performances, some really good hitting performances, and one clutch back breaking come back.

That was an absolute slaughter. They're calling it a new Boston Massacre in the New York media.

I still remember the massacre of '06. Talk about disheartening, but at least we were in most of the games, in fact IIRC we had a lead in 4 of those 5 games at one point or another despite the massive flaws in the 06 roster. These Yankees weren't even competitive in 3 of the 4 games, and the one time they were competitive, we broke their backs by killing their closer in the 9th.

One of the best rivalry experiences in my memory. So fun to go back over those 4 games and review the highlights. Pierce. Porcello. Eovaldi. And finally, Benintendi, the Invisible Superstar.

And we moved the Yankees all the way out of the division race in a single weekend.

We'll be remembering this one for a very long time. The rotation was outstanding, even the replacement guy did his job. The bullpen was barely used outside of the Johnson game, so they should be pretty fresh for the August stretch too, and the Yankee bullpen is blown to smithereens.

In short we gave our main rivals a memorable whupping and the division is probably ours now. So fun.
    Mostly agree. A lot of good points. But my memory is that the Yankees were in 3 of the games: they had a 4-0 lead in game 1 with Sabathia on the mound, but their bullpen collapsed. Porcello had control of game 2 all the way. But Kimbrel almost blew it all in game 3 until he got that fly out with the bases loaded in the 9th. And last night we needed 10 innings and a come from behind rally to win.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    ...and ERod, Devers, Vaz, Wright, Pedey, Kinsler, Swihart and Smith, not to mention Marco Hernandez & Austin Maddox! (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

I still remember the massacre of '06.
    The original Massacre in '78 was the worst, I'm afraid.

Can we finally lay to rest the notion that this team can't beat the best teams/pitchers?

I was listening to WEEI the other day and they said that Houston is still the team to beat in the AL. I'm like, "What does a team have to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    can we finally lay to rest the notion that this team can't beat the best teams/pitchers?
    r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I was listening to WEEI the other day and they said that Houston is still the team to beat in the AL. I'm like, "What does a team have to do?"
    I believe that for the SOX to reach the WS they will have to go thru Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I believe that for the SOX to reach the WS they will have to go thru Houston.
    We'll have home field, so they "come through" Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We'll have home field, so they "come through" Boston.
    True, but I think you know what I meant. I just should have said the SOX will have to beat the Astros.