Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Countdown to the Playoffs - 2018 Edition

Still very early to predict what pitchers will make it onto the playoff roster due to the possibility of injury or a change in performance over the last 6 weeks of the season. If we elect to go into the playoffs with 11 pitchers, a fairly normal amount, then as of now a number of them are clear choices.

Starters:

Sale, Price Porcello

Starter/Reliever

Eovaldi

Relievers

Kimbrel, Brasier, Barnes, Thornburg

Others who have a chance:

E-Rod a likely starter/reliever

That makes 9 with 5 in the wild card situation of making the roster. In my view, the order of likelihood of filling the remaining 2 slots

Kelly (best pure stuff if he can regain command)
    Johnson (lefty long relief although E-Rod may fill that role as he is a lefty with better stuff. Maybe they want two lefty relievers)
    Velazquez (reliable long man)
    Hembree (Club may value him over both Johnson and Velazquez but he is highly erratic and hard to depend on with any lead)
    Pomeranz (not nearly up to his capability of last year)

Finally, is there any late move or person in the minors that might change what I viewed above. If there is it would be either Workman or some unknown in DD's plan)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Still very early to predict what pitchers will make it onto the playoff roster due to the possibility of injury or a change in performance over the last 6 weeks of the season. If we elect to go into the playoffs with 11 pitchers, a fairly normal amount, then as of now a number of them are clear choices.

Starters:

Sale, Price Porcello

Starter/Reliever

Eovaldi

Relievers

That makes 9 with 5 in the wild card situation of making the roster. In my view, the order of likelihood of filling the remaining 2 slots

Johnson (lefty long relief although E-Rod may fill that role as he is a lefty with better stuff. Maybe they want two lefty relievers)
    Hembree (Club may value him over both Johnson and Velazquez but he is highly erratic and hard to depend on with any lead)

Finally, is there any late move or person in the minors that might change what I viewed above. If there is it would be either Workman or some unknown in DD's plan)
    There is talk now of Wright being ready to return soon and possibly being put in the pen.

I don't see Pom with the team next year as there will be better options. As a result, keeping him for the playoffs has to stand on its own, without any thought of bringing him back. From that point of view, he doesn't look like a guy that can give us positive innings in the playoffs.
    Certainly, Pom needs to vastly improve to make any playoff roster. If he continues like this, he has zero chance at making the playoff or 2019 roster.

I have not given up on him, yet, and maybe I'm the last guy holding out hope, but he needs to start showing flashes of 2016-2017 real soon, of else he won't even be worth further "evaluating." We'll need to start trying others out for the final spot or two on the playoff, pen roster.

Starters:

Sale, Price Porcello

Starter/Reliever

Eovaldi

Relievers

I'd think Workman has a better chance than Pom, right now.

I might also bet on Wright over Pom.

Is it too late to ask the league to overturn the Pom-Espinoza trade?

(LOL)