Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Butler DFA'd...

Deity

Dan Butler DFA'd...

.. to make room for Swihart.

I do think there is a very strong possibility Butler clears waivers and re-signs with Boston as a minor league free agent. He's been one before a couple times and always comes back.

Plus any team claiming him on waivers would need to keep him on the 25 man roster...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    .. to make room for Swihart.

I do think there is a very strong possibility Butler clears waivers and re-signs with Boston as a minor league free agent. He's been one before a couple times and always comes back.

Plus any team claiming him on waivers would need to keep him on the 25 man roster...
    The real life Crash Davis getting only a couple cups of coffee over 10 years, but which fan wouldn't trade for that experience . At 31, he has a lot of years left where he can work in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The real life Crash Davis getting only a couple cups of coffee over 10 years, but which fan wouldn't trade for that experience . At 31, he has a lot of years left where he can work in the real world.
    That's my thought exactly. Butler loves the game and has enough knowledge about the game that the Sox continually pick up his contract. I have a lot of respect for Butler.

And you're right - no team is going to pick him up if they have to keep him on their 25. Welcome back, Dan!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

It is a great story and I was rooting for him. I swear that sac fly he hit the other night looked like a dinger. But let's be honest, the man can't play at the major league level and he was lucky to get this many games.

He is out of options. The only alternative was to deactivate him and, yeah, resign him when he clears waivers. Butler is a decent defensive catcher but he has never been able to hit. Still, he provides decent depth that you can stash away at the AAA level.

Meh.

Some things are not important enough to make posts for.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Thanks for the thread, and some good comments. Like Sox Fans that show compassion. Always root for Underdogs like this.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-15-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Deity
    Watching a guy like Butler for years now kind of makes me realize the talent it takes to get to the highest level. Dan Butler is a helluva baseball player - just not quite good enough.

All-Star
    Some fans always seem to scoff when teams make "dumpster dive" minor league signings, but Butler's cameo this month shows the value of having a guy like that in the organization when you need him. I'm glad he got his moment of glory for us, however brief...I hope he gets a WS ring out of it and is still showing up to all the championship celebrations years from now the way guys like Cesar Crespo and Phil Seibel still come to all the 2004 reunions.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Some things are not important enough to make posts for.
    I’m sorry. I did not realize our raw post resources were so limited...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Some fans always seem to scoff when teams make "dumpster dive" minor league signings, but Butler's cameo this month shows the value of having a guy like that in the organization when you need him. I'm glad he got his moment of glory for us, however brief...I hope he gets a WS ring out of it and is still showing up to all the championship celebrations years from now the way guys like Cesar Crespo and Phil Seibel still come to all the 2004 reunions.
    I do wonder if their reappearance irritates dgalehouse.

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m sorry. I did not realize our raw post resources were so limited...
    Well, now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Watching a guy like Butler for years now kind of makes me realize the talent it takes to get to the highest level. Dan Butler is a helluva baseball player - just not quite good enough.
    Read somewhere that only 1 in 7000 little league participants makes it to MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Read somewhere that only 1 in 7000 little league participants makes it to MLB.
    That's the number for High School players. Much longer odds for little leaguers.