Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 8/15 Sox @ Phillies

It's a loss, but on the road a split is acceptable. Also it exposes Pomeranz again as a guy to not be concerned with, just set aside.

Any concern about the big lead in the East being an advantage for Cora to try many options (?), or the big lead becomes an excuse for sloppy play prior to the playoffs? Cora ought to have the watch the video of the last part of the 1978 Yankee- Red Sox one game playoff to stir their shit.

Hate giving games away no matter what the standings say.

No game is meaningless . Still a lot of games left . The Phillies have been able to show the rest of the league the weak links they have

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Cora is not going all out, this game was meaningless.
    1978. No games are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I don't even want him doing that. Cora has to cycle through some guys and find some arms that will actually play post season. I don't want to give Pom an inning. I don't want to give him an out.
    Did you just buy out Henry, Lerner and the idiot ??? Then you can impose your will Jung, although I give you much credit for good observations of reality. We can at last laugh after a loss which was shared by the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Hate giving games away no matter what the standings say.
    Could not agree with you more !

Despite the best record in baseball , this team is not playoff ready with the bullpen . At some point you have to consider benching Devers. His defenses sucks and he strikes out to much .

I can't see them benching Devers when they have no one else to play at 3b. Nunez is the worst position player on the team--he can't be the replacement at 3b.

The one good thing to come out of this loss: when Kinsler returns and the Red Sox go to a 12 man pitching staff, Pomeranz has to go. Put him on the DL, then rehab assignment, bring him back in September when the rosters expand. I wouldn't send down Brasier or Velazquez just to keep a loser like Pomeranz on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I can't see them benching Devers when they have no one else to play at 3b. Nunez is the worst position player on the team--he can't be the replacement at 3b.

The one good thing to come out of this loss: when Kinsler returns and the Red Sox go to a 12 man pitching staff, Pomeranz has to go. Put him on the DL, then rehab assignment, bring him back in September when the rosters expand. I wouldn't send down Brasier or Velazquez just to keep a loser like Pomeranz on the team.
    Nunez is a decent 3rd baseman; not a gold glover but he makes the plays. His knee injury has really hurt him at 2nd, not so much at 3rd with less ground to cover.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Holt can play third . Devers has a negative WAR . That’s unheard of for a starter .

Quote Originally Posted by Peterug View Post
    Holt can play third . Devers has a negative WAR . That’s unheard of for a starter .
    Holt is exposed when he plays too much; his second half swoons are well documented. He’s best when used 3-4 times a week, not every day.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Nunez also has negative WAR along with an OPS+ of 77. The guy is a train wreck.

I'm not thrilled with Devers, I thought he was a better player than this, but he is part of the future of the team and so you keep playing him unless you have a much better option and Nunez isn't a much better option. Also, Nunez has no future with the Red Sox.

I like Holt better than Nunez, but I prefer Holt as that utility player who gives everyone a rest. He should return to that role when Kinsler returns.

Edit: I would start Nunez at 3b against lefties. Devers can't hit lefties and while Nunez can't hit them very well either, I would limit Devers' exposure to lefty pitchers at this point.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The difference between Eovaldi and Devers at the plate is that Eovaldi has a plan.
    I am not as down on Devers as some people are, but this was funny as heck.

Eovaldi did indeed have a plan at the plate. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Kapler wanted it more.
    Kapler needed it way more than the Sox did.

Cora said it well when he said that of course he would like to win every game but that he will not go chasing wins. Smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I’ll take a 7-2 road trip every time.
    And a 4 game sweep against the Yankees right before that.

We can't win every game.

The good news is that the Yankees lost as well.

Scratch another game off of the ever shortening calendar.