Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wright, Throwers and Pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    I blame Slasher.
    Ha. There is no other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I just don't get it. I guess some people expect us to win 80% of our games at a rigid and consistent rate.

Teams slump. Parts of teams slump. Good teams slump. Great teams slump.

Even within this 3 game slump, we almost pulled a game or two out.

Our seasonal OPS is .795, still 12 points up on the Yanks.

Our last 14 days OPS is .775, and suddenly the sky is falling.

A .607 OPS over our last 5 games should not scare anybody.
    From an emotional standpoint, I get it. I do. Sox fans have been there before and tend to prepare for the worst.

Thinking about it rationally though, we'll be fine.

Would anyone rather be in the Yankees shoes than in our shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Eovaldi could be a difference maker out of the pen.
    This is a great, and spot on tweet from Merloni:

Lou Merloni
    ‏Verified account @LouMerloni
    6h6 hours ago

Cora’s bullpen decision come down to which RHP he wants to bring in that throws 94-96 with a curve ball. Unless Hembree with his little slider or Brasier with 98 and slider are needed. I’ve been saying for months, they needed a different look out there and they never got it

Meanwhile, Tito has a sidearm RHP. A sidearm LHP. 2 set up LHP’s with wipeout sliders and a RHP closer. Diversity everywhere.

I thought, and still think, that our pen will be fine, but I still would have liked to have added a late inning reliever at the deadline.

But as you said, Eovaldi or one of our other starters could very well solidify our pen once the injured pitchers return.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A three game losing streak suddenly bears more weight than the 120 games that preceded it?
    It's more the way of losing the 3 games . No hitting in a team wide slump , no power bats, weak pitching both from starters and relievers, all while playing at home against a possible playoff opponent.

All-Star
    Man... it doesn't take much for some to jump ship.

Does every championship team always go the whole season without a bad stretch here and there?

3 bad games is all it takes, and that coming fresh off the heels of winning 7 of 8 and 13 of 15.

In just 3 short games, the whole league has figured out how to beat us.

We're doomed!

No talking about 3 bad games!

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    It's more the way of losing the 3 games . No hitting in a team wide slump , no power bats, weak pitching both from starters and relievers, all while playing at home against a possible playoff opponent.
    To be honest, I've been waiting for this slump. Betts, Benitendi, and Martinez have been carrying this team all year, by and large. This isn't the '98 Yankees with strong hitters up and down the lineup. It was only a matter of time before our big three cooled off a bit. That said, I'd like to see Steve Pearce more often, and Devers has some thump that is clearly missing while he's on the DL.

All-Star
    It;s hard to find fevency when talking avout 196 and 2018, but it soed exist to some degeree, My fatger me to more Braves games than Red Sox, but we always managed to get to Fenway on days (many Sundays!!!) tha Feller or Grove pitched. After Grove;s injury (he went 8-8) season Philadelphia cmae n andGabby Hayes (I think) his former catcher (for certain) was quoted that Grove wa no longer Grove and that he'd lost his fastball

The pepers came out with Grove replying by throwing exactly 12 fast balls the entire game. They were all to Gabby who fanned 4 times..

I SEEM TO RECALL THAT LEFTY PITCHED MOST OF HIS GAMES THAT PARTICULAR YEAR ON SUNDAYS (When every one else was resting!)

Doesn't anyone else remember (or heard about) the Boston "life of lefty Grave?) It's a little spooky having these memories at age 93! Maybe I dreamed it!!!???
    Last edited by bosoxmal; 08-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    It;s hard to find fevency when talking avout 196 and 2018, but it soed exist to some degeree, My fatger me to more Braves games than Red Sox, but we always managed to get to Fenway on days (many Sundays!!!) tha Feller or Grove pitched. After Grove;s injury (he went 8-8) season Philadelphia cmae n andGabby Hayes (I think) his former catcher (for certain) was quoted that Grove wa no longer Grove and that he'd lost his fastball

The pepers came out with Grove replying by throwing exactly 12 fast balls the entire game. They were all to Gabby who fanned 4 times..

I SEEM TO RECALL THAT LEFTY PITCHED MOST OF HIS GAMES THAT PARTICULAR YEAR ON SUNDAYS (When every one else was resting!)

Doesn't anyone else remember (or heard about) the Boston "life of lefty Grave?) It's a little spooky having these memories at age 93! Maybe I dreamed it!!!???
    It's not hard to believe Grove only threw on Sundays.

Hall of Famer Ted Lyons ended his career with the White Sox pitching every Sunday at age 41. He started 20 games that year and threw 180.1 IP. Teams didn't have dedicated bullpens in 1942, but if they did, Ted would have given them Sunday off...

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    No talking about 3 bad games!
    I didn't hear doom & gloom 3 days ago.

All-Star
    The thing is that winning so many games hardly means the end of worries or concerns. Being up 7 in the loss column in August with 6 remaining games with that second place team; 3 straight losses AT HOME; and a starting pitching staff which continues to have too many question marks, are meaningful--as is a 3-5 series in which almost anything can happen, as we're lately well aware of.

It just goes to show that there are a lot of great CFers and there's no reason to hold onto a guy hitting under .200 for most of the season. JBJ is very replaceable.
    Allen's two plays go to show why you DO hold onto a guy with GG skills in CF, almost regardless of how he's hitting. Those two plays may very well have saved the game for them. And his 0-3 didn't hurt the Indians a bit. They still won.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Allen's two plays go to show why you DO hold onto a guy with GG skills in CF, almost regardless of how he's hitting. Those two plays may very well have saved the game for them. And his 0-3 didn't hurt the Indians a bit. They still won.
    You don't hold onto a guy like JBJ, because they are almost dime a dozen these days.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The fact that there are 4-5 very good outfielders in the AL right now doesn't mean there are dozens more pounding down the door to get in.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The fact that there are 4-5 very good outfielders in the AL right now doesn't mean there are dozens more pounding down the door to get in.
    His WAR is about the same as Mallex Smith's over the past 2 years.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

His WAR is about the same as Mallex Smith's over the past 2 years.
    Mallex Smith has a dWAR of 0.2 this year as compared to JBJ's 0.8. (just for clarification, 0.2 x 4 = 0.8. If you believe in WAR JBJ is 4x the CF Smith is.

Sure, we'd all like to have a CF who plays defense like Bradley and hits like Smith but those guys aren't "a dime a dozen'.
    -Vin Scully