Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Roster - 2018

Playoff Roster - 2018

Here is my prediction for our playoff roster. I am thinking 12 pitchers for ALDS:
    1b Moreland
    2b Kinsler
    3b Devers
    SS Xander
    LF Beni
    CF JBj
    RF Mookie
    C Leon
    DH JDM
    SP1 Sale
    SP2 Price
    SP3 Porcello
    SP4 Erod
    RP1 Kimbrel
    RP2 Barnes
    RP3 Kelly
    RP4 Eovaldi
    RP5 Brasier
    RP6 Hembree
    RP7 Johnson
    RP8 Pom
    UT1 Holt
    UT2 Pearce
    UT3 Nunez
    UT4 Swihart

Left off: Neck tat, Vazquez, workman, thornburg, wright
    other names i have posted under: none

I'd replace Johnson with a LOOGY guy like Robby Scott. Having 3 starters (Pom/Eovaldi/Johnson) in the pen may be a bit much. I'd also think about replacing Pom with Wright if Wright comes back healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Major Leaguer
    I'd take Velasquez over Pom, Workman or Thornburg over Hembree.

Of course September results for Vasquez, Wright and half the bullpen could change this

We should go with 11 pitchers, since we play 5 games in 13 days. The second playoff series might be different.

I'd remove Pom and replace with Wright (Or Workman, if Wright looks shaky in Sept)

I'd remove Eovaldi for Vazquez (or Johnson, if he struggles more in Sept.)

I might remove Johnson or Hembree for Thornburg (or Velazqueez), if he does well in Sept.

Deity
    I think Pomeranz and Johnson are probably best left off.

While I hate the LOOGY strategy over the course of a season, I could see it happening in the playoffs. If that is the case, Bobby Poyner makes some sense. And I think I'd rather see Workman than either Johnson (whose numbers as a reliever are not so enticing) or Pomeranz as well.

So - out with Pomeranz and Johnson and in with Workman and Poyner...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think Pomeranz and Johnson are probably best left off.

While I hate the LOOGY strategy over the course of a season, I could see it happening in the playoffs. If that is the case, Bobby Poyner makes some sense. And I think I'd rather see Workman than either Johnson (whose numbers as a reliever are not so enticing) or Pomeranz as well.

So - out with Pomeranz and Johnson and in with Workman and Poyner...
    I'm big on Workman myself. No clue why he keeps getting sent down.

Can I ask why nearly everyone is putting 12 pitchers on the playoff roster, when we play 5 games in a 13 day window?

4 starters

Why 8 RP'ers when we will be starting the series with 5 days off, playing 2 games- one off- 2 games- one off and 1 game (if needed)?

We will likely have 1-2 long men to eat up middle innings, if needed. My guess is we keep 1-2 from Eovaldi, Johnson & Velazquez and Barnes and Hembree can go more than 1 IP, if needed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Can I ask why nearly everyone is putting 12 pitchers on the playoff roster, when we play 5 games in a 13 day window?

4 starters

Why 8 RP'ers when we will be starting the series with 5 days off, playing 2 games- one off- 2 games- one off and 1 game (if needed)?

We will likely have 1-2 long men to eat up middle innings, if needed. My guess is we keep 1-2 from Eovaldi, Johnson & Velazquez and Barnes and Hembree can go more than 1 IP, if needed.
    To cover for short outings from starters as needed and to do so without leaving a dead bullpen for the next game.

It’s not like we have a lot of hitters that need to be pinch hit for.

Also I wouldn’t even take Johnson or Velasquez...

To cover for short outings from starters as needed and to do so without leaving a dead bullpen for the next game.

It’s not like we have a lot of hitters that need to be pinch hit for.

Also I wouldn’t even take Johnson or Velasquez...
    We actually do have hitters to PH for, and both are catchers. That's why 3 catchers would be more helpful than the 12th pitcher.

You don't need Vazquez if Leon is on the roster. It's just redundancy. It'd make more sense to have a bat on the bench at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    We actually do have hitters to PH for, and both are catchers. That's why 3 catchers would be more helpful than the 12th pitcher.
    The way Swihart has been of late, he might not need to be pinch hit for.

I do doubt the Sox take 3 catchers - especially since Vazquez has been inactive for a huge chunk of the season - into the postseason...

4 starters

thats fine. i can see going with 11 pitchers for the 5 game series. i would remove Pom.
    who's the extra fielder you want? vazquez?
    other names i have posted under: none

The way Swihart has been of late, he might not need to be pinch hit for.

I do doubt the Sox take 3 catchers - especially since Vazquez has been inactive for a huge chunk of the season - into the postseason...
    I don't see Swihart starting a playoff game. We can PH Moreland or Peacr for Leon/Vaz and then PH Swihart later in the game and leave him as the catcher, if needed.

If they plan on starting Swihart, then carrying 3 catchers makes little sense.

As for the 12th pitcher, since we will be coming off 5 off days, I think we don't have to worry about using RP'ers two days in a row, especially since there's another day off after game 2.

I suppose we could use 7 RP'ers in game 1 or 3, but there's a better chance we'll need to PH for Leon or Vaz.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You don't need Vazquez if Leon is on the roster. It's just redundancy. It'd make more sense to have a bat on the bench at that point.
    To PH for whom?

Only our catchers need PH'ing for, unless you do a 1B swap with Moreland-Pearce when they switch handed pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    thats fine. i can see going with 11 pitchers for the 5 game series. i would remove Pom.
    who's the extra fielder you want? vazquez?
    I'm adding Vaz and Devers to what we have currently to make 14 everyday players.