Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football thread

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Alabama and Clemson have built dynasty football programs. Notre Dame , and the others, have a way to go to reach that level. It would help to have a big time quarterback. Ian Book did a nice job after taking over for the disappointing Brandon Wimbush , but he is not a big time , NFL caliber quarterback.
    He may be an NFL quarterback. He may end up a good NFL quarterback. He just doesn't have the tools of an elite NFL QB. Arm isn't big, doesn't run incredibly well, takes some time with decisions. The thing about him is his accuracy. It is hard to teach that. But my concern for him is weapons. Yes, he has some, but he needs to be transitioned into a quick decision scheme with guys who can take the top off the defense and then guys who can run routes out of the slot to be an effective safety valve. ND took advantage of a lot of defenses with their big WR's. They jumped over and outmuscled smaller guys. Book was the king of the back shoulder 20 yard pass. Well, that is fine when your O line is manhandling the D line. But if you're gonna beat Clemson or Bama, you have to be quick. Their D lines are frequently populated with top 10 picks and you wont have more than 3 seconds to decide before getting whalloped
    Hal sucks

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I've been advocating for expanded playoffs, but this article is making me reconsider.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-more-blowouts
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Wow, some really bad playcalling by Alabama. Not just that fake FG, but their final 4th down conversion attempt from the 2 yard line. Not that I think it mattered that much with how Clemson were playing.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I'm not entirely shocked Clemson won, but the fact they blew out Bama like that is mind blowing. Lawrence is going to be beast

When Clemson trounced Notre Dame , people were quick to say that the Irish did not belong in the playoffs. Now they have trounced Alabama as well . The reality: Clemson is a really , really good football team. Number one without any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    When Clemson trounced Notre Dame , people were quick to say that the Irish did not belong in the playoffs. Now they have trounced Alabama as well . The reality: Clemson is a really , really good football team. Number one without any doubt.
    It's always hard to know how good some teams are, when they play a relatively weak schedule.

Look at UCF: nobody gives them credit, yet they almost pulled out a big bowl win without their MVP starting QB.

Conversely, everyone assumes that because Alabama plays so many very good SEC teams without ever losing, they must be the best.

College football is hard to figure out when everyone plays such a diverse schedule, and teams rapidly improve and decline over the course of a season

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's always hard to know how good some teams are, when they play a relatively weak schedule.

Look at UCF: nobody gives them credit, yet they almost pulled out a big bowl win without their MVP starting QB.

Conversely, everyone assumes that because Alabama plays so many very good SEC teams without ever losing, they must be the best.

College football is hard to figure out when everyone plays such a diverse schedule, and teams rapidly improve and decline over the course of a season
    UFC also played an LSU team in the bowl game that was missing 9 defensive starters, including studs like Greedy Williams, who alone negates the QB being out, considering he is a top 10 NFL draft talent. UFC will still get no credit to me until they play a real schedule. It isn't impressive beating Community College level talents, and "almost" winning a bowl game against an LSU team who didn't even have a majority of their players, because they sat out to prepare for the draft and not risky injury.

Another absurd thing about Clemson - Dexter Lawrence, arguably their best player, didn't even play against Notre Dame or Bama because he was suspended... Clemson didn't miss a beat without him. I underestimated how good Clemson was this year, that QB they have is going to have NFL teams tanking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    UFC also played an LSU team in the bowl game that was missing 9 defensive starters, including studs like Greedy Williams, who alone negates the QB being out, considering he is a top 10 NFL draft talent. UFC will still get no credit to me until they play a real schedule. It isn't impressive beating Community College level talents, and "almost" winning a bowl game against an LSU team who didn't even have a majority of their players, because they sat out to prepare for the draft and not risky injury.
    I hear you, but I wonder how many big teams would agree to play UFC. They'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

How easy is it for them to change into a better conference?

I hear you, but I wonder how many big teams would agree to play UFC. They'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

How easy is it for them to change into a better conference?

There really is no benefit for playing UFC. If they win, they were supposed to, if they lose, they'll never heard the end of it and UFC gains a lot from it. I doubt we'll see any good teams decide to play them, but that shouldn't mean UFC should be praised for going undefeated against literally nobody lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    There really is no benefit for playing UFC. If they win, they were supposed to, if they lose, they'll never heard the end of it and UFC gains a lot from it. I doubt we'll see any good teams decide to play them, but that shouldn't mean UFC should be praised for going undefeated against literally nobody lol.
    Maybe they need to try and play better but not great teams of get themselves into a legit conference.

Word is there is going to be a big conference shake up at some point- probably not this winter.

That time of year again.

Fight on!

My Domers may surprise, this year, but I doubt they have the horses to come close to winning it all.
    Sox 4 Ever

College football kicks off with its traditional " cupcake " weekend . Wherein the top teams enhance their rankings by destroying and humiliating thoroughly outmanned and inferior , albeit well compensated , opposition. All while trying, often in vain , to keep the games under four hours . And it most likely will end with yet another Alabama vs Clemson battle for all the glory . In between, there will be plenty of thrills .

My Domers may surprise, this year, but I doubt they have the horses to come close to winning it all.
    didn't know we rooted for the same squad. The Irish always have talent, but the game in Athens doesn't look promising IMO
    Hal sucks