Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Yankee rumors thread

Franco did have a very strong 80 game start, but Andujar had his “start” over a full 149 game season. No flash in the pan half season of greatness. Also, Andujar’s WAR is driven down by his freakishly bad defense, not his very strong offensive numbers. The defensive improvements may or may not come, but he has the tools to improve as he’s quick, has good hands and a great arm, just seems to be mechanically unsound.

The big difference between Andujar and Franco comes in the types of contact. Andujar’s 2018 saw him make “soft contact” only 14% of the time as opposed to Franco’s 22% rate in his shortened rookie campaign. Hard contact rates were in Andujar’s favor as well, 36% to 28%. When you’re hitting the ball harder 8% more of the time, you’re going to have a better shot at keeping your offensive game in good position. Franco walks more. Andujar has better power and a far better ability to hit for extra base hits. Andujar also proved to be able to hit for high average in the minors which Franco didn’t. Franco’s final full season in the minors saw him hit .257. Andujar hit .315.

Slapping a label of Franco on him is wishful thinking from a pink hat.

So the rotation stands at...

1. Tanaka
    2. Paxton
    3. Severino
    4. ???
    5. Sabathia

With the fact that we won’t need to add salary with Paxton as dealing Gray will negate the added salary, we should have a ton of cap space to add the final rotation piece as well as add to the lineup.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post

1. Tanaka
    2. Paxton
    3. Severino
    4. ???
    5. Sabathia

With the fact that we won’t need to add salary with Paxton as dealing Gray will negate the added salary, we should have a ton of cap space to add the final rotation piece as well as add to the lineup.
    Well if you don’t add Corbin, you’re going to fuck up my entry in the MLBTR Free Agent Prediction Contest....

Report today that the Yankees value adding another starting pitcher above adding Machado. I definitely see Corbin as out top target. I think the other thing we will need to look at is his cost. Cashman has been avoiding the big, long term pitching deals the past few seasons for guys 30 and older. We go out and get Paxton, but the money is light and 2 years of control is perfect. We got Gray with 2.5 years of control. CC has been on a year to year. The longest term pitching acquisition in recent memory was Tanaka and he was 25 at the time and that turned out well. I wonder if Cashman would rather have Happ for 2-3 years vs Corbin for 6-7. I also wonder if we aren't done dealing. The pitching in this system is deep and if we are mostly set for 2019, we have guys who will back fill if we deal from the high minors. We still have enough ammo for one big deal
    Hal sucks

1. Tanaka
    2. Paxton
    3. Severino
    4. ???
    5. Sabathia

I'm not afraid of that rotation at all. You still need a big name like Kluber or Corbin. (Maybe Keuchel, but I'm not high on him.)

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not afraid of that rotation at all. You still need a big name like Kluber or Corbin. (Maybe Keuchel, but I'm not high on him.)
    The Yankees will be good, but the Red Sox are scary good.

The Sox were, on the heels of a career season from Mookie and with Eovaldi and Kimbrel, who look likely to head elsewhere. We are closing the gap and if a few things break right, we might have already surpassed

The Sox were, on the heels of a career season from Mookie and with Eovaldi and Kimbrel, who look likely to head elsewhere. We are closing the gap and if a few things break right, we might have already surpassed
    I believe we heard the same thing from you last year Jacko.

I'm sure the Yankees are not done this offseason. You will field a very good team, but so will we. Plus, we have Cora.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Yankees will be good, but the Red Sox are scary good.
    Yes, the Yanks will be very good. They will add another SP'er and replace some lost pen arms, but the rotation I see now, is not scary. Their line-up is and will be, especially if they add Harper or Machado and Didi returns to form.

The Yanks worry me, but not their current rotation.

I would certainly expect the Yankees to do whatever they feel is necessary to overtake the Sox. The addition of Paxton is a good start in that direction. There is no disputing that.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I would certainly expect the Yankees to do whatever they feel is necessary to overtake the Sox. The addition of Paxton is a good start in that direction. There is no disputing that.
    My guess is they sign Machado or Harper and another pitcher like Corbin, Keuchel or Happ. They will also probably add a solid RP'er.

The crazy thing is nobody gives Severino any credit. He did finish 3rd in the CY voting in 2017. He finished 10th this year. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball. The problem is he, like Sale, fades as the season goes along. The idea that he somehow sucks is ridiculous.

Paxton gives us an ace performer without an ace durability. If he’s healthy for 28-32 starts and most importantly, is entirely healthy come October, then watch out. Tanaka has performed like a #2-3 starter, but has been excellent in every game he’s pitched in the post season. The building blocks are pretty solid. CC is #5, which clearly we can do better, but I wonder if he’s just a place holder til one of the kids takes hold or JMont returns. If we add Happ or Corbin, we will have a revamped rotation and one that’s pretty LHP heavy, which fits well against Boston. Our offense should see some improvements as Sanchez is far better than it showed (turns out he was hurt and needed surgery) and big acquisitions typically show best offensively in year 2, so watch out for Stanton. Add in Machado or anyone else you want to sprinkle in and this lineup will be deadly. The pen still has the twin towers are the end with Holder and Green as the bridge, which is pretty sweet and may see internal upgrades or a FA signing. The team right now is incomplete, but come 2019, there’s a good chance we will be the favorites

The crazy thing is nobody gives Severino any credit. He did finish 3rd in the CY voting in 2017. He finished 10th this year. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball. The problem is he, like Sale, fades as the season goes along. The idea that he somehow sucks is ridiculous.
    Of course he doesn't suck. He's got the numbers. The 'problem', as such, is that he's expected to be the ace and to come up big in the biggest games. And if you don't come through people start labeling you as a choker or whatever. Price went through it for years, as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Of course he doesn't suck. He's got the numbers. The 'problem', as such, is that he's expected to be the ace and to come up big in the biggest games. And if you don't come through people start labeling you as a choker or whatever. Price went through it for years, as we know.
    I hear you. I certainly wouldn't label Sevy a choker. He has just clearly shown wear come August. It has been a problem two years in a row and likely has to do with the fact that he was advanced a bit too quickly with his innings totals and his arm needs time to catch up. If he went through the natural progression, this upcoming year would be the 200IP season, so maybe he sheds the late season swoon?
    Hal sucks

November 30 will be a very interesting day for Yankee fans as that is the day one must tender arbitration offers to their arb eligible guys. The case in question is that of Didi Gregorius. Under usual circumstances, this would be a no-brainer. But with Didi recovering from TJS of his throwing elbow and very likely to miss at least a month and probably more like 2-3 of action, the projected arb cost of his final season may not be worth it. That being said, releasing Didi would give him a head start on free agency, where I think Didi's worth falls around the Elvis Andrus level plus inflation. With TJS being a major injury, I can understand the Yankees reticence. That being said, this is a very well recovered from type of injury and Didi isn't a pitcher. If he loses a touch off his fastball, it isn't that big of a deal. And if he does, the Yanks 2b can easily slide to SS and allow Didi to move to 2b. The question is, will a team be willing to have Didi be a big signing and then have him start his inaugural season on the bench due to injury? The other question is, how many teams will look at Didi as a Yankee Stadium made hitter and not be willing to live with a guy who had a near 200 point OPS drop when playing outside of Yankee Stadium?
    Hal sucks