Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Yankee rumors thread

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    So the Yankees were never serious in getting him.
    It was a big gamble, coming from the NL West to the toughest division in the league, several pitchers have failed on that change.

For me it was a serious offer, just not in his expected rank

Corbin is more of a high end #2 SP but got paid like a bonafide ace. So in that sense I'm glad the Yankees did pay up for him. BUT it's not my money being spent and he would have definitely improved the team, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed they didn't overpay to get him.

All-Star
    Someone was saying Haap would get 2/28 if thats the case sign him tomorrow lol./ I actually really like him and what he brought to the table. We got to remember we have Monty hopefully coming back in July too.

If somebody wanted Goldschmidt, he's on the way to St Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    It was a big gamble, coming from the NL West to the toughest division in the league, several pitchers have failed on that change.

For me it was a serious offer, just not in his expected rank
    $40M short. I'm surprise how loudly the Yankees intently broadcast it they were in a FA. I guess that's just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    $40M short. I'm surprise how loudly the Yankees intently broadcast it they were in a FA. I guess that's just for show.
    Probably it was just for show.

But, imagine the RedSox were after this guy, would you match the Nats offer?

I think the prediction going in was 6 yrs $125 mil. The Yanks were right at the prediction in terms of AAV, just not in the years. The Nats surpassed the prediction by another $15 mil. Who knows if the Nats would have gone higher. I liked Corbin a whole lot, but I also like that the Yanks weren't suckered into a longer term deal than they thought was worth it on a player who really has a single year of dominance at the end of an up and down career. The Nats paid him like he is a Scherzer yet he's had one year of ace level production. Now, if Corbin was the only option, then you gotta go where the market dictates. But with the trade market open, with Paxton in the fold and with there still being some good left handed options available, passing was a reasonable thing
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Probably it was just for show.

But, imagine the RedSox were after this guy, would you match the Nats offer?
    He's not a can't miss guy so I wouldn't make a matching or top offer.

Also hearing now the Yankees came in at $17M per year in their discussion and never formerly made an offer.

Now the focus is shifting to Happ. And while Happ is certainly not a top notch, ace level pitcher, he has been really good and consistent the last few seasons. The bugaboo is his age at 36, but he has stayed relatively healthy and while he's been around awhile, he doesn't have the innings totals you'd expect for someone who has been in the league for as long as he has. He isn't a 7IP 1ER kind of pitcher, but he is a 5-6IP 0-2ER pitcher and he has really gotten good at being less efficient and more effective, if that makes any sense. His K rates have risen and his walk rates have dropped, but he has for the most part tried to stay away from contact. His HR rate last year really bloated what was an excellent season. At his age, we might only see a 2 yr guarantee and likely not for more than what Eovaldi signed for. His left handedness really plays well in YS too and he'd slot in as our #4 starter. After missing out on Corbin and Eovaldi, this is the next best option as the AAV might be a bit painful, the years wont be and if father time catches up to him, we can cut him loose before we need to start allocating money to our kids.

The one thing we will need to tighten up if Happ is re-signed is the pen. Happ and CC in the rotation will give us a 4-5 of guys who max out at 6IP. We will need to replace Robertson with someone of reliability so we can effectively bridge 2 games out of every 5 with guys incapable of seeing the 7th inning and if they flop, likely unable to get past the 5th. I wonder if the idea was to get Paxton and sure up the top of the rotation then see if we could get Corbin and really tighten it up. If unsuccessful, go back to what worked and flesh out the pen to cover for the lack of depth. There is still chatter that Ottavino ends up in NY, which is a name I would certainly gravitate towards, but if I am gonna get an early 30s reliever for a 2 or 3 year deal, I'd try and re-up KRob first as he has had success here.
    Hal sucks

I like Happ for 2 yrs, no longer than that, word is that he's looking a 4 years deal in the 50 millions range, too much for a 36 yrs old pitcher

I’d be fine with a vesting option based on IP for a third season. Make it something like 320IP or so. If we use him for 160IP for two seasons, chances are we’d want him back

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’d be fine with a vesting option based on IP for a third season. Make it something like 320IP or so. If we use him for 160IP for two seasons, chances are we’d want him back
    I like the idea, you can also add another option with another 160IP in the 3rd year

All-Star
    Some rumblings about Realmuto headed to the Mets, Thor to the Yankees, in some type of three team deal.

Yankees get Thor
    Mets get Realmuto and Gray
    Marlins get Florial, Loaisiga, Abreu, and Whitlock?

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Some rumblings about Realmuto headed to the Mets, Thor to the Yankees, in some type of three team deal.

Yankees get Thor
    Mets get Realmuto and Gray
    Marlins get Florial, Loaisiga, Abreu, and Whitlock?
    That wouldn't be enough for the Mets or Marlins. I would think that Andujar would need to be involved in the trade.

Sounds like the Yanks are pushing for the trade here and might be looking at Wheeler instead